Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alesis IO Dock opinions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inaheartbeat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Alesis IO Dock opinions? Reply with quote

I am seriously thinking of buying one of these but I have the following concerns:

1) Can I use a midi controller with this given that the unit has a USB B connector? I assume it should be ok if I hook it to a hub but maybe I am missing something. If I can't use my iPad 2 synths with it what is the point?

2) Is there a problem with midi note off dropouts? I have seen this on various forums but I am not sure if this is an iPad 1 or 2 issue with this unit or does this happen with all iPads.

3) Are the outputs of this unit quiet enough to use for real recording? I know Amplitude does not work which I don't care about. I am most interested in iMS-20 and Horizon Synth.

4) I am assuming that the unit makes sure the iPad remains charged when it is in use. This is a big plus for me over using the CCK if it is the case. I am assuming it does but I don't trust Alesis.

5) Are the units shipping with the iPad 2 adapter in the box now? I don't want to have to count on Alesis to send me one after going on the web site. The original shipped units did not have the adapter.

6) Is this thing going to damage my iPad 2 if I take it in and out? Since you can't use iTunes with it in the dock (ughhhhh!!!!!!!!) it means it has to come out so I don't want to cause a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DBM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USB is not a host port so ...no USB keyboards .
IMHO this was a huge oversight ...the should have added a small USB hub on to it .

As for no6 ..... iOS 5 will do away with that need .
inaheartbeat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBM wrote:
IMHO this was a huge oversight ...the should have added a small USB hub on to it .

I would presume if I hook it up to an external USB port I should be ok then. I have a Waldorf Blofeld that has a B connector to it and I can play it using a USB hub. Do you have direct experience with the IO Control or are you speculating? I welcome informed speculation but was also hoping for someone with some hands on experience. I don't want to waste $200 on this if the feature set is not going to work as advertised.
decrepitude

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBM wrote:

This just means it doesn't supply power, but to say "no keyboards" is not correct.

The port is supposed to work with class compliant usb midi controllers, such as the Nano series.

My problem is - where do I find the proper micro-usb to USB 'B' plug? So far no luck in finding one and would rather not get an adapter.
inaheartbeat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of using the IO Dock and spending the $200 I decided to just use RTPmidi on my PC with my Sonar Producer software and connect up the iMS-20 app on my iPad that way so it runs midi over WiFi. That way, I still get midi, don't have to worry about a USB hub, and can keep the iPad 2 plugged in so I never have to worry about it. On top of all this I can record the midi into Sonar and use it to sequence up the iPad software so less worries about lack of midi clock support.

It seems to work great so far for iMS-20. For Horizon Synth I have a problem with the "hold" button not holding notes from WiFi midi. The bigger problem with that is that it does not support a sustain pedal in this version.
stevecooley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. It's great. Power and midi at the same time. Pretty friggen nice.
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for this:

http://www.akaipro.com/synthstation49
Current Korg apparatus: MicroStation, MicroKorg, MicroSampler, WaveDrum, Trinity V3, M1REX, Wavestation SR, X5DR, Original Legacy Collection w/ MS-20 controller, iMS-20, DS-10 Plus x2, ELECTRIBE Rhythm Mk ll, iELECTRIBE, Kaossilator, padKONTROL, MicroKONTROL, NanoKey, NanoKontrol, Stage Echo SE-300
hazabikit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I love the Alesis iO Dock -- it puts all the connectivity I need into one box, and powers the iPad to boot.

My only complaint is that I wish they had made it easier to get the iPad out of the Dock.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Akai. That Synthstation looks awesome. I have their APC40 and it's such a well thought out machine...
hazabikit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, it's a very impressive looking controller.
I'm tempted to get it, but I don't want to be one of their early adopters.
Resonant1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Usb-B is a big problem Reply with quote

The infatuation with the -otherwise great- io Dock is tarnished by the poor design choice of USB connections. Makes me have to choose between io dock or nano2 \ other controllers and forces me to buy an iPad camera adapter What was the point of USB B only? No, really...
A serious flaw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: