Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg why don't you have a Kronos 73 semi weighted version?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slovenec

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Korg why don't you have a Kronos 73 semi weighted version? Reply with quote

I'm looking at a Kronos for live playing but don't want yet another 61 note keyboard which is so limiting for playing piano and EP. I also don't want a weighted action due to the ridiculous weight and I hate playing organ on a weighted action.

Why don't Korg release a 73 key unweighted version of the Kronos to go along with the other 3 versions using the same keyboard action as the 61 key model? It would be much easier to take to gigs.

I've got an old (but awesome!) Ensoniq TS12 and this is a complete pig when it comes to weight and portability (especially when you have to lug it in and out on your own!!!!).

I'm sure that plenty of potential users would agree with me regarding a 73 key unweighted key version of the Kronos... possibly at Winter NAMM 2012????? Smile
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Korg why don't you have a Kronos 73 semi weighted versio Reply with quote

Slovenec wrote:
I'm looking at a Kronos for live playing but don't want yet another 61 note keyboard which is so limiting for playing piano and EP. I also don't want a weighted action due to the ridiculous weight and I hate playing organ on a weighted action.

Why don't Korg release a 73 key unweighted version of the Kronos to go along with the other 3 versions using the same keyboard action as the 61 key model? It would be much easier to take to gigs.

I've got an old (but awesome!) Ensoniq TS12 and this is a complete pig when it comes to weight and portability (especially when you have to lug it in and out on your own!!!!).

I'm sure that plenty of potential users would agree with me regarding a 73 key unweighted key version of the Kronos... possibly at Winter NAMM 2012????? Smile

I don't think they will make one, because there is already a 73 weighted version and developing a new type (alltough it would not differ that much) would take quite some time.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Slovenec

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's enough demand and requests, I can't see why it would be so complicated or difficult to produce a 73 note unweighted version based on the 61 note action.

I understand that the Kronos is a professional instrument and with most professional players having grown up learning and playing piano, I can understand the huge demand for a 73 key weighted action version of the Kronos.

However, there's also a large number of musicians who didn't start out learning classical piano and it's for those users as well as those of us with weaker biceps that the 73 note unweighted Kronos would be ideal.

Perhaps the next version of Kronos to be released in 2013 will also be available as a 73 unweighted keyboard version?
Smile
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slovenec wrote:
If there's enough demand and requests, I can't see why it would be so complicated or difficult to produce a 73 note unweighted version based on the 61 note action.

I understand that the Kronos is a professional instrument and with most professional players having grown up learning and playing piano, I can understand the huge demand for a 73 key weighted action version of the Kronos.

However, there's also a large number of musicians who didn't start out learning classical piano and it's for those users as well as those of us with weaker biceps that the 73 note unweighted Kronos would be ideal.

Perhaps the next version of Kronos to be released in 2013 will also be available as a 73 unweighted keyboard version?
Smile

Actually if there was a 73 unweighted version I really would have thought about it. However, it's not only the demand/requests. It depends how many people would NOT buy another version of a Kronos but instead a different brand to make it worthwhile.

I (as a programmer/developer) like flexibility and modularity, but most hardware companies are not eager to go into that direction. The M3 should be a modular synth but they went away from that direction.

It would be awesome to 'build' your own synth by buying a keyboard, a controller component, a display and even a synth engine and connect them all together. You want a M version? Just buy the synth engine and a small display, you want a full studio synth? buy a a big screen, 88 weighted keys, synth engine and full controller component. Korg can make all these items separately and if sometimes breaks down you only buy the part that is broken. You can even upgrade separately, or take out the engine part and take it to the rehearsal room where your 61 keyboard, display and controller part is.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is already possible. It's called a computer. With software synths and a controller keyboard. The thing is of course that it doesn't look as "chique" and it's a hassle hooking it up and breaking it down everytime. I don't think you're going to get around that though, if you want it to be completely modular.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
This is already possible. It's called a computer. With software synths and a controller keyboard. The thing is of course that it doesn't look as "chique" and it's a hassle hooking it up and breaking it down everytime. I don't think you're going to get around that though, if you want it to be completely modular.

You are right but for gigging purposes it's not really satisfying. I meant like buying the keyboard case with space to click in the display component, engine component and controller component, like boxes fitting together. Something like the M3 but more modular.

It would only add cost to make everything 'clickable'. The display would be the easiest: for software it does not matter and the hardware 'variation' is only the power it uses. the controller should be in such a way that the minimal version should have e.g. only a few sliders and knobs and the ultimate more like the oasys. But all should fit in the same space in the case. Possibly there could be a left/right controller part (for two sides of the display).

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. The software inside the box, and even the hardware inside the synth, would have to change a lot depending on what kind of screen you want to hook up, for instance. If you want a bigger screen, the point is likely that you want more information on the screen so you'll also want a better resolution, leading to software changes (changing the UI layout) and hardware changes (better videocard/more processor power).

This is just an example with the screen. I agree with you that a computer is way too cumbersome for live stuff. Which is exactly why companies tend to opt for the nice compact case with everything in it. If you want more controllers or a different keyboard, or even more storage for samples, that's already provided for through midi and usb. The only thing that's not available directly is a bigger display or complete VST compatibility (although one could argue for machines such as the Neko, in that direction). I understand your preference ffor flexibility, but I think your wishes are to some extent mutually exclusive.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I disagree. The software inside the box, and even the hardware inside the synth, would have to change a lot depending on what kind of screen you want to hook up, for instance. If you want a bigger screen, the point is likely that you want more information on the screen so you'll also want a better resolution, leading to software changes (changing the UI layout) and hardware changes (better videocard/more processor power).

This is just an example with the screen. I agree with you that a computer is way too cumbersome for live stuff. Which is exactly why companies tend to opt for the nice compact case with everything in it. If you want more controllers or a different keyboard, or even more storage for samples, that's already provided for through midi and usb. The only thing that's not available directly is a bigger display or complete VST compatibility (although one could argue for machines such as the Neko, in that direction). I understand your preference ffor flexibility, but I think your wishes are to some extent mutually exclusive.

I agree somewhat for the screen, if the resolution does change it might matter (then you need different fonts and possibly a new screen layout).

What I mean with controllers, are the knobs, sliders etc, or the non-display UI. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And I also agree to the mutual exclusivity if you mean it regarding to price.

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, I agree that it "would be nice", but yeah I think price-wise it's never going to happen. Especially not since it's already possible to buy small separate midi controllers with just sliders and knobs and pads. Or even a module version of most synths. The only thing missing is the "clicking". But I bet you could fix a nice rack case/stand if you really wanted to.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
In that case, I agree that it "would be nice", but yeah I think price-wise it's never going to happen. Especially not since it's already possible to buy small separate midi controllers with just sliders and knobs and pads. Or even a module version of most synths. The only thing missing is the "clicking". But I bet you could fix a nice rack case/stand if you really wanted to.

Yes ... always price versus possibilities .. called capitalism.
Well I have two keyboards now at my gigging rig so I don't complain.

JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP80 has a 76-note semi-weighted synth keyboard and it feels real nice, one of the best.

SV-1 73 73 keys RH3 - Real Weighted Hammer Action 3, sluggish like the Electric pianos it emulates.

Roland Fantom G7, 76 keys, nice, but the plastic has high friction.

Motif XF 7 (6) FSX Keyboard (Initial Touch/Aftertouch), 76 Keys,

If I were to buy a keyboard just for the feel of the keys, it would be the JP80. They are a dream.

I do like my Kronos 61 keyboard, but it would be nice to have another octave.

Of course this all depends on your performance style, and mine sucks Laughing

I really like the Korg Komponent system of the M3/Radias, too bad it was not developed further.
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2

Last edited by JPWC on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@michel
I think actually a Mac mini or XServe with Mainstage in the autorun would be a pretty cool solution for you. If you get an XServe (they're discontinued now but still available 2nd hand) you can rack-mount it and add any kind of audio interface on USB or firewire (possibly also rack-mounted). You could even add a rack-mountable midicontroller with knobs and faders. So that all you need to "plug in" is any keyboard with midi. Want to edit professionally? Add a mouse, keyboard and monitor, any kind or size you like. Want to edit on the fly? Get a remote desktop app (or even dedicated app? Don't know it those exist) on an iPad.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
@michel
I think actually a Mac mini or XServe with Mainstage in the autorun would be a pretty cool solution for you. If you get an XServe (they're discontinued now but still available 2nd hand) you can rack-mount it and add any kind of audio interface on USB or firewire (possibly also rack-mounted). You could even add a rack-mountable midicontroller with knobs and faders. So that all you need to "plug in" is any keyboard with midi. Want to edit professionally? Add a mouse, keyboard and monitor, any kind or size you like. Want to edit on the fly? Get a remote desktop app (or even dedicated app? Don't know it those exist) on an iPad.

Sounds like an interesting solution (though I mainly prefer a single machine). And too be honest, I'm not so fond about apple (don't like the company, however the products are nice).

JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry michelkeijers, just got a call from apple, and thier not too happy with you, but they said your an excellent programmer. Surprised
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPWC wrote:
sorry michelkeijers, just got a call from apple, and thier not too happy with you, but they said your an excellent programmer. Surprised

Smile I'll take that as a compliment.
Btw, my source code is free for anybody who wants to convert it (so I'm not blocking people who like Apple).

Btw2: I already eat 2 or 3 real apples a day so I am enough apple-minded.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: