Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LIVE GIG OUTCOME.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesfarrington

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: LIVE GIG OUTCOME..... Reply with quote

well ive had my Kronos 61 since early June....using it in my studio.
i had a gig offered to play keys at the House of Blues with a Band. (kenny Aronoff playing drums was a pleasure). ANYWAY, I have NEVER EVER EVER had such a pleasurable experience with a live instrument. the engineer actually Commented on the output and SOUND. he said it MIXED IN EASILY. but on my end it was just hard to compare it to anything prior. I DIDNT NEED A PIECE OF PAPER SET LIST...i had it right on the screen WITH FOOTNOTES ABOUT EACH SONG!!
and setting up splits and layers and SAMPLES was just SO WELL THOUGHT OUT.
I am so glad i pre ordered this instrument. anyone that has gripes about this machine can kiss my backside! I am actually going to buy a 73 to go with it!
now THAT has never happened with any Yamaha or Kurzwiel or KORG or MOOG or any other synth for that matter and ive been playing live with bands for 20 years and using synths in studios since 1985.
again, LOOK NO FURTHER...the Kronos has no equal...not even CLOSE.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: LIVE GIG OUTCOME..... Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played mine for the first time this previous weekend at a gig as well. Outdoor concert series. The sun was blasting it for a while, which I was a bit concerned about so I covered it when not in use.

One thing I have realized is that I have to adjust when I am changing my sounds. It was actually trickier than I had thought it would be! Usually, because nothing I've used has had any form of smooth-sound-transition, I would lift up my hands, press the sound change, and then continue playing.
With the Kronos though, I have to start thinking a bit earlier and hit the sound change after the last note I play from the previous sound!

Overall I loved it. My in-ears weren't quite mixed well so things were a bit muffled...and I hit a button or 2 on accident while playing which made some hilarious sounds (hit the drum-on button on accident).

Definitely want to tweak some sounds on it as well to better cut through during full-band stuff.

Pics hopefully to come at some point this week.
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: LIVE GIG OUTCOME..... Reply with quote

lesfarrington wrote:
well ive had my Kronos 61 since early June....using it in my studio.
i had a gig offered to play keys at the House of Blues with a Band. (kenny Aronoff playing drums was a pleasure). ANYWAY, I have NEVER EVER EVER had such a pleasurable experience with a live instrument. the engineer actually Commented on the output and SOUND. he said it MIXED IN EASILY. but on my end it was just hard to compare it to anything prior. I DIDNT NEED A PIECE OF PAPER SET LIST...i had it right on the screen WITH FOOTNOTES ABOUT EACH SONG!!
and setting up splits and layers and SAMPLES was just SO WELL THOUGHT OUT.
I am so glad i pre ordered this instrument. anyone that has gripes about this machine can kiss my backside! I am actually going to buy a 73 to go with it!
now THAT has never happened with any Yamaha or Kurzwiel or KORG or MOOG or any other synth for that matter and ive been playing live with bands for 20 years and using synths in studios since 1985.
again, LOOK NO FURTHER...the Kronos has no equal...not even CLOSE.

Sounds awesome! You played with Kenny? That's great! Who was the main artist?
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. This keyboard is a monster.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Usually, because nothing I've used has had any form of smooth-sound-transition

I have something like this on the PC3, but not as good. It glitches sometimes when going from program to setup and back and notes cut off when doing this as well. I'm loving the SST - what great ability to go from solo piano sections - to bass/layer splits to pads, to strings etc... without glitching.

Very very cool.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - done about 10 gigs now with mine (across 3 different bands).

The Setlists autoload and I just choose with band I'm with.

The re-arranging of songs in the setlist is BRILLIANT.

I didn't need convincing, but the bands have all commented on how good the board sounds compared to my old setup (Kurz K2000, Apple Mainstage and Roland XP30)..

Also takes a LOT less time to set up Very Happy Kronos and a DX7s as a top-tier keyboard (being used as a MIDI controller for the Kronos).....

VERY impressive board for live use. The drawbar sliders and real-time controllers/switches are great - just speed of use.

Across all the bands, I'm looking at about 150 songs, including samples. The machine just lends itself to performance.

I've also been using it heavily in the studio - just fits in nicely with Logic and the rest of my toys.

Worth every penny, and has already contributed heavily to paying for itself Cool

Dan

playing again at the weekend - will post some piccies/video.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post. I love how live players think its a great keyboard, yet time and time again a post will say its not made for live playing but is only a workstation.
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Nice post. I love how live players think its a great keyboard, yet time and time again a post will say its not made for live playing but is only a workstation.

(Some folks spend more time complaining about it than actually playing it!)
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkFloydDudi wrote:

Well the same could be said for those praising it couldn't it? But you probably wouldn't have a problem with that case I bet Laughing
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I got a case that was fit for purpose :p
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madbeatzyo111 wrote:
PinkFloydDudi wrote:

Well the same could be said for those praising it couldn't it? But you probably wouldn't have a problem with that case I bet Laughing

Funny...the people that are doing most of the praising of it are the ones that are talking about live gigs. (you know, actually using it?).
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am a live player too, I love this forum (because everybody seems to be so positive about the Kronos). Thanks for sharing the experiences.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: