Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos vs. Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike-pol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Kronos vs. Kronos Reply with quote

Hi
I got maybe untypical question, but maybe someone have experienced it too. Is it possible, that two random Kronos unit can sound a bit different? I mean, I bought my Kronos, with rather early serial number (000368), than my friend bought one, and, well, maybe I am crazy, but I think his sound a bit different. Do you think it is possible, that each particular unit can sound a bit different, of course comparing in raw state, no tweaking or modifications, just after factory reset?
I wonder your opinions
Greetings
Mike
zzz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you listening to them through the same set-up? Taken to the extreme, imagine one played through an iPod, and the other played through a good sound system.
Otherwise, the waveforms are the same, and the software should be, I don't think Korg will be messing with the electronics in there just yet...
Mike-pol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly the same setup, one seems to play more soft, other more "metallic" sound. I mean these are very slight differences, but still I can hear the difference. And I do not use iphone and even mp3 format, too Smile
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the kronos sounded better.

you probably messed with yours and change a few things to make it sound different, so who cares? they all sound great.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-pol wrote:
exactly the same setup, one seems to play more soft, other more "metallic" sound. I mean these are very slight differences, but still I can hear the difference. And I do not use iphone and even mp3 format, too Smile

A "more metallic sound" makes me think of phasing issues. Check that your speakers are wired correctly. Check that your cables are left to left and right to right. Try changing just ONE speakers L/R cabling to the opposite, and see if it persists.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the two Kronos warmed up to the same degree? Electronics can often perform differently at different temps.

The other possibility is manufacturing variations of the internal components. Would you expect two acoustic pianos from the same batch to sound exactly the same? No because there are always small variations in the process which are still allowed in the spec. Your unit may be on the high side of the spec for some performance parameter of the pre-amps or DACs for example, while your buddy's is on the low side. In this case you may hear a very slight difference that would come across almost like an EFX, especially if it really is the pre-amps or DACs.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will end up with a fully documented 1:1 comparison, including cable impedance, weather conditions and tide influences. Stop before it will drive you mad! Cool
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Make sure that you are running the same version of OS on each board, assuming that there have been more than one version.

2. Do a factory reset on each board.

3. Test blind, otherwise your listening will be biased.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you listening from amp and speakers?
Or are you connected to computer and speakers?
Is it possible that you have local control on and in software patch thru on, causing a flange type of phase? (Doubling)
Mike-pol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thansk for your feedback, guys.
Well, maybe you are right, it can be just me thinking that since I bought a demo unit, it may be a bit different than brand new out of the box. I listen them both through the same mixer setting (Mackie), same EQ etc. on same amp and speakers. The difference was really slight, yet hearable, at leats for me, but again, it may be just my subjective impression. I mean it still sounds great, so i better stop such comparison, as jimknopf said, before it will drive me mad. I was just curious if you ever encounter the same issue with your units. Greetings
Mike
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-pol wrote:
Thansk for your feedback, guys.
Well, maybe you are right, it can be just me thinking that since I bought a demo unit, it may be a bit different than brand new out of the box. I listen them both through the same mixer setting (Mackie), same EQ etc. on same amp and speakers. The difference was really slight, yet hearable, at leats for me, but again, it may be just my subjective impression. I mean it still sounds great, so i better stop such comparison, as jimknopf said, before it will drive me mad. I was just curious if you ever encounter the same issue with your units. Greetings
Mike

Were the 2 Kronoi located in the same exact spot? If you are using speakers and they are set up next to each other, that could impact the way things sound.

There are a million reasons why they might sound different, I wouldn't think any have to do with the Kronos itself though?
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tellin ya...most likely cause.....phasing and cables....... Very Happy
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's totally acceptable for two Kronos to sound very slightly different to a very sensitive ear, for the reason I outlined in my previous post. The manufacturing of each Kronos will be "colored" by any number of variables which may not or cannot be consciously controlled--different component batches, different technicians who assemble the parts, even the time of day, temperature and humidity. That's why computer processors are fabricated in such tightly controlled cleanrooms according to very strict specs--to ensure that all the chips turn out the same. And even in that case, they never do.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madbeatzyo111 wrote:
I think it's totally acceptable for two Kronos to sound very slightly different to a very sensitive ear, for the reason I outlined in my previous post. The manufacturing of each Kronos will be "colored" by any number of variables which may not or cannot be consciously controlled--different component batches, different technicians who assemble the parts, even the time of day, temperature and humidity. That's why computer processors are fabricated in such tightly controlled cleanrooms according to very strict specs--to ensure that all the chips turn out the same. And even in that case, they never do.

True, but because the signal path is mostly digital, there shouldn't be much chance for differences to be introduced.

A slightly different 'quality' chip or motherboard isn't going to sound different. That's one of the massive advantages of digital technology, it is relatively robust, scalable, and predictably reproducable - a slightly stronger or weaker 'one' is still recognised as a 'one'. Any differences in the digital side of things large enough to be noticable would show up in the form of errors and glitches.
It is mainly the analog parts of the circuits that you need to worry about them, and as they are few, it seems unlikely for there to be that much difference.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you have midi echo on? (I don't even know if that's an option, I'm still waiting for my Kronos 73 Crying or Very sad )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: