Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavestation waveforms and Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chriskk

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
jhulk wrote:
now the 01w was sampled at 32khz but the wavestation was done at 31.5

thats why when using 01w pcm cards on the wavestation can sound a little out of tune

This doesn't make sense at all. Only some of the 01W wave forms were sampled at 32kHz. Many others were sampled at lower rates. The same goes for the WS wave forms.
jhulk

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you done any pcm cards for these synths

i have

with the t series the dsm1 can do 16khz 24khz 32khz 48khz

but the t series only has a playback engine of 64khz so as the dsm1 was used for most of the sample content of the wavestation m1 and t series

so if you use higher rates they need more samples as with 48khz you only get 6 notes of uptranspose

the 32khz gives you 1 octave uptranspose

24 gives you 18 notes

and 16khz gives you 2 octaves

this is how the playback engine works

i do pcm samples for the t series and i do professional sample banks for synthesizers the last being the solaris

i do pcm 2mb cards for the 01w and sr

but they are so expensive to buy that it would be impossible to sell them

i do kmp files for the trinity and triton which can be used in the oasys and kronos

i do transwaves for ensoniqs and have been for 20 years

those who critisize do nothing
keego

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to make a Wavestation patch that use 4 OSC in the Wavestation?
For example The Ooo Patch uses Singing in the RAM bank consisting of A 'AH Voices' B 'FV Wave' C MV 'Wave' and D 'Voices'.

Any ideas

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
jhulk

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have a kronos so cant mention but if it has the full wavestation rom

then you should be able to choose those 4 multisounds and place them in the same place and copy the params for the envelopes and amp and filter setting

i heard it dont have the wavesequencing tho

if the kronos does not have all the pcm rom im actually sampling the pcm from the wavestation sr into a korg dsm1 sampler at 32khz and will be doing

pcm disks for the t series and trinity
keego

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos has full wavesequencing and wavestation rom. The problem lies that wavestation has 4 OSC in a patch the Kronos has 2.

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can layer two multisamples or wavesequences in an oscillator though using a special workaround with the velocity layer crossfading. But they will share the same amp, filter, and envelopes. Still could help somewhat.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
cybermooks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Wavestation patches to Kronos X Reply with quote

I am about to purchase a Kronos X, and I'm assuming it will make my Wavestations and Karma redundant. However I did a lot of programming on the Wavestation and I would like to know if it is possible to port patches to the Kronos X. I would also assume that the functionality of the A/D passing audio through the effects is going to work here.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wavestation patches to Kronos X Reply with quote

cybermooks wrote:
I am about to purchase a Kronos X, and I'm assuming it will make my Wavestations and Karma redundant. However I did a lot of programming on the Wavestation and I would like to know if it is possible to port patches to the Kronos X. I would also assume that the functionality of the A/D passing audio through the effects is going to work here.

I really wouldn't get rid of your Wavestation. I kept mine because I have all of my programs till in it and to me it just simply makes more sense to keep the ones that I know and love as opposed to trying to port over sounds that may or may not work, Besides, the Wavestation is now a collectors dream. If you have one, keep it. I'm on my second Wavetstaion EX and there is absolutely no way I will ever let it go. I'm just way to familiar with it.
In fact, I haven't yet tried to learn wave sequencing on my kronos.

I'm lazy! Why fix it when it already works!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
cybermooks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same sort of attachment to mine, but the question remains is it possible to port over programs you've made on the Wavestation to the Kronos?
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's something I don't know.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Cpilot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do something serious with porting Wavestation stuff to the Kronos you really need the system exclusive documentation. However, Korg appear to want to keep it a secret. Don't know why. If I want the sysex doc for my Yamaha arrangers I just look in the manual or download it from their website. Same with any support. Excellent support from Yamaha. Pathetic or no support from Korg. I've asked Korg USA, Korg Canada and Korg UK if they have the sysex doc and not one of them had the courtesy to reply. That's disgusting. I'll never buy another Korg product.

Bryan
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybermooks wrote:
I have the same sort of attachment to mine, but the question remains is it possible to port over programs you've made on the Wavestation to the Kronos?

I did some porting of my WS patches to the Kronos with some success. But, it's pretty time-consuming, let me tell you!! If you have a lot of time on your hands, it will be worth it. For the sounds i created, it's not so important to have a different filter/amp path for each osc/wave sequence. I often copied envelopes and filter settings with my WS sounds, but if you went deeper in the WS, you could reach some dead ends sometimes because of this. The only workaround is to create 2 patches and blend them in a Combi... more works!!!

Blink
cybermooks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Wavestation to Cronos? Reply with quote

So you're saying that you can port Combos but not patches from the Wavestation to the Kronos?
kineticsoundprism

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pips wrote:
I just wish at some point we get a wavestation exi and M1 exi - that would complete the kronos for me - which i love

totally agree , the sound libraries available and built into those 2 really need to be in the kronos aswell as ability to load old wavestation / m1 patches.

Ive always been amazed Kronos and Oasy couldnt load old wavestation patches or they werent designed from the ground up to do this given that both include the entire wavestation rom waveforms but i am biased as i made hundreds of custom wavesequences and patches over the years and have no way of loading them in any other hardware synth even when it has a wavestation engine built in - yet i can load my old wavestation patches in the vsti version ? seems odd....i know the Kronos as a kind of v2 wavestation engine and alot of new features but surely making it possible to load old wavestation patches would have been possible and opened up the Kronos even more to old synth owners looking to upgrade.

Kronos needs m1 and wavestation legacy exi's so i can use all my old patches in it ! ......

Vsynth patches and Exotic impulse responses
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with the idea of being able to load in your old files as-is to get the Wavestation and M1 sounds; but, the Kronos already has full Wavestation capabilities in its HD-1 engine and the full complement of Wavestation waveforms (including Korg's own expansion cards). I'm not yet entirely sure about the M1 waves but it seems logical that they would be in the same ROM set.

I'm working on a converter for various Korg program types (including KLC) and the Wavestation is one "engine" I will be attempting to cover for automated conversion. What I need to know, though, is how many Wavestation players and patch authors make full use of the Wavestation's capabilities? I know that the various Wavestation versions have different levels of capabilities and even more so in the different modes so there's not exactly one singular engine which could nail down an entire combination, for example; but, it may be possible to use multiple HD-1 program slots within a combi on the Kronos and end up with all of the building blocks necessary for the most complex Wavestation patch.

All of this, of course, and the ability to load/save your own samples and wave sequences built around those samples. Remember that you have 100% freedom to create custom wave sequences in global mode and vector sequences in any program or combi. As for vector envelopes, it may be necessary to employ sequencing/RPPR (or possibly step sequencers) to get a more complex vector envelope such as what's found in the Wavestations but there's definitely "wiggle room" as far as emulating those features.

So, what are the most complex features you've seen packed into a Wavestation program?

kineticsoundprism wrote:
Pips wrote:
I just wish at some point we get a wavestation exi and M1 exi - that would complete the kronos for me - which i love

totally agree , the sound libraries available and built into those 2 really need to be in the kronos aswell as ability to load old wavestation / m1 patches.

Ive always been amazed Kronos and Oasy couldnt load old wavestation patches or they werent designed from the ground up to do this given that both include the entire wavestation rom waveforms but i am biased as i made hundreds of custom wavesequences and patches over the years and have no way of loading them in any other hardware synth even when it has a wavestation engine built in - yet i can load my old wavestation patches in the vsti version ? seems odd....i know the Kronos as a kind of v2 wavestation engine and alot of new features but surely making it possible to load old wavestation patches would have been possible and opened up the Kronos even more to old synth owners looking to upgrade.

Kronos needs m1 and wavestation legacy exi's so i can use all my old patches in it ! ......

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: