Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pad Controller for Kronos/Karma
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a glimpse at the vestax, and my first impression was that it was overpriced, lots. (In competition with, say a nanopad.)
I know there's a problem with the nano + Kronos at software level right now, but that will surely be rectified soon. However, for vestax kind of money, have a look at something like the Akai mpk 25 - 25 keys, akai pads, lots of extra twirlies, pitch wheels, and it's built really well (I know, I've got one). Yes, it's usb powered (got a hub already?), but also proper midi, and you can program different set-ups from it with its own software.
I've found it's also good for programming in front of a pc if you just want to sit down and do computer stuff, without a keyboard rack in front of you, as it has a small enough footprint to fit in front of the computer keyboard, on the desk.
PauloF

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
Assuming the Vestax does have an actual MIDI port on the back, the other issue you will need to solve is power.

The unit would normally receive power from your computer via the USB cable. I don't know if you could connect the USB cable to the Kronos for USB power or not. You might have to buy a powered USB hub to get power.

Just take a look to the manual and pictures
Vestax Owners Manual

There's also a DC Power plug, so power does not have to be driven from USB.

Keys: Korg Wavestate
Softsynths: Korg iM1, ARP Odyssei, iElectribe, iMS-20, Moog AniMoog
https://jpaulof.wixsite.com/Mysite
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has been stated before that the KRONOS ports will provide enough power over USB to run a controller. It just won't actually give you a MIDI connection currently.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whenever my Kronos shows up, I plan on hooking up my M-Audio Trigger Finger via midi out, just to give this feature a shot. Practically, I don't see why I would ever actually need the pads, but I wanted to just play with it since it seems that there are quite a few people on the forum that are interested in such a thing.

::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
FYI, the pads aren't just for KARMA. In fact they have nothing to do with KARMA.

They are typically used to play chords in. Those chords may typically happen to be in a zone that KARMA is active in. But the pads will still play the chords when KARMA is off.

Sorry, just seemed odd to me that you call them 'KARMA Pads'.

Anyway, that unit won't work with the KRONOS on its own because it is a USB controller - no standard MIDI. Currently the KRONOS (nor any korg keyboard) supports USB MIDI devices directly. You'd need to use a computer, or there are some boxes which will provide the USB host connection needed and provide a MIDI output.

Here is Steven Kay's reference to Karma chords by use of pads:

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17669&highlight=pads
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I see what you're referring to. They're a useful feature for triggering KARMA, but they aren't actually anything specifically to do with the KARMA technology.

M50 has chords pads too.

They don't appear in the KARMA section of the UI, KARMA doesn't have to be switched on to use them...

I was only making a small point about terminology. I'll leave it now...
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to wait until October and order the nanoPAD2 Slim-Line USB Pad Controller.

Thank you, Korg !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: