Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assignable out's question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phinnin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Assignable out's question Reply with quote

Greetings,

I am new to korg but I have to say, I generally find the experience positive. Much easier to decipher then Yamaha stuff. Lovin' it.

But I am having an issue: I have made a combi where I take a CX3 organ and run it to an assignable out (#3 as left and right mains seem to dominate 1 and 2). I do this so I can have that signal run out to a Ventilator for a mind-blowing leslie sim. I did this by setting IFX>Routing1>BusSelect to 3. So far so good. My issue is that my foot pedal doesn't control volume in this case. It does for my main outs, but not the Assignable #3.

I did check in the combi under MIDI Filter 3 and it shows foot pedal is enabled.

Is there something I need to be doing here? I have combed all the pages and the manual to the best of my ability to no avail.

Any input? Please advise,

Jim
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your foot pedal is set to control "Master Volume" then this is expected behavior. Master Volume controls only the main outs (and headphones). You could try setting it to just "volume cc #7", I think that ought to work.
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting it to cc#11 Expression is another option.

jg::
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True but that will change behavior of some combi's. I think setting it to #7 should keep the behavior of the "normal" Master Volume setting in 99% of cases excepting midi transmission.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another trick is to use a IFX with (I believe) some compressor and set the controller to the amount of compression making volume changes possible for all timbres routed through the compressor.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do this on my Extreme to switch sounds within a combi; make one compressor go louder and another go softer when using the pedal. Waste of two IFX though.

Nevertheless, assuming that the original poster wants to retain the use of his volume pedal for all his other patches, setting it globally to cc#7 is the only viable solution, I think. With cc#11 some sounds might react differently because expression =/ volume, and when using the compressor you have to set up an AMS and use an entirely different cc for the pedal in order to control the compressor, thereby rendering it useless for general volume pedal use.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I used to do this on my Extreme to switch sounds within a combi; make one compressor go louder and another go softer when using the pedal. Waste of two IFX though.

Nevertheless, assuming that the original poster wants to retain the use of his volume pedal for all his other patches, setting it globally to cc#7 is the only viable solution, I think. With cc#11 some sounds might react differently because expression =/ volume, and when using the compressor you have to set up an AMS and use an entirely different cc for the pedal in order to control the compressor, thereby rendering it useless for general volume pedal use.

I fully agree that the cc#7 or cc#11 way is better, but alternatives are always good (if you want a linear volume change the cc version is better, since using the alternative would cost either 1 or 2 IFXs).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Vent with my Kronos. I just keep it assigned to FOOT PEDAL (cc#04) in global. Works great.

BTW, you can route the output of the Vent back into the Kronos therefore bypassing the need for an external mixer and this allows you to use internal Kronos FXs like reverb. Very cool.

Busch.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, using CC7 will override the mixer settings in a combi, forcing all timbres to the same value

You should use CC11 where possible. it's 0-127 range is a multiplier to the Volume (CC07) range, so you will keep the relative balance between timbres (e.g. a quiet timbre will stay quiet, and a loud one will stay loud, rather than being both forced to the same mixer level when you move the pedal).

Master Volume is also a good alternative.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Hadn't even considered that it might do that. The OP can't use Master Volume because that doesn't affect his alt outputs. Unless he runs the sound back into his Kronos and lets it come out the second time at the main outs.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DEFAULT for all the CX3 presets is FOOT PEDAL CC#04. You can change it to something else but you DO want to use whatever is set in this parameter in the CX-3 engine, BECAUSE it allows you to set a min/max floor. With the B3 you do not want the sound to shut off complete. That is uncharacteristic of the organ.

Also, I set the output at the PROGRAM level, not the COMBI. I change the AMP TYPE in the EXi->AMP/VC to PRE AMP and the adjust the output level at the bottom of that page. This nicely bypasses the Leslie sim and the internal distortion so you can use the excellent overdrive and Leslie sim of the Vent.

Busch.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But doing it that way means sacrificing master volume control with the pedal for all (or most) non organ patches, doesn't it? At least it would on my Extreme, because you have to make the pedal assignment globally.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP doesn't specific how he wants to use the foot pedal outside of the organ program. For example, if he wants to use it as a Wah-Wah pedal (dmod) CC04 would be a good option as you can not use CC07 or CC11 as dmod or AMS controller. You cannot use CC07/CC11 in the CX-3 engine as I described above.

Busch.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. Then humor me; if I wanted my pedal to always control volume, whether it's organ or not, and my organ is coming out of outputs 3/4, how would I set this up? Doesn't seem an entirely unreasonable live use need.
Phinnin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome input everyone. Wow, thanks. I have learned quite a bit about how the routing works, even for options I may not take....

Busch's idea of running the vent back to the input on the board sounds like the most elegant option thus far for my needs but stay tuned. I'm gonna try a few things.

To the question regarding my use of the pedal: I use for volume only.

to Busch: I like your idea of the program level change. I'll give that a shot. Due to program memory slot limitations, do you operate off of one program for all your CX3 stuff? It seems with all the drawbar and button functionality, you could just use the interface as a B3 and forget presets. But part of me wants to cheat and have presets for all my songs (to be lazy) Won't that eat up a lot of slots? Or do you use combi's for drawbar, VC, perc settings?

As a closing statement: For those that don't know, the Kronos run into a ventilator is an epic combo. It hits "that sound" really damn well. At least as well (an easier) then my XM-2, which is no slouch.

Again, thanks all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: