Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First time with Kronos @ Band Practice!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: First time with Kronos @ Band Practice! Reply with quote

So for fun, I took my Kronos to praise band practice at church last week. (I usually play my S80) For laughs, I played a few guitar patches for the guys during warmup. (I like to pretend I'm "tuning" my guitar!)

This is the first keyboard where I have NOT had guitar players react with "That doesn't sound like a real guitar!" In fact, the electric guitar player said, "Nice Marshal Stack!" I dialed through several guitar patches, acoustic and electric. They were impressed all around.

The only exception was the DRUMMER. He complained that the grand pianos didn't sound real in the lower mid-range (octave below middle c) But come on, it was the DRUMMER! When was the last time he heard a real grand piano anyway?!? I sent back to his plastic sound baffle and told me to leave me alone!

(Drummers, don't take offense. This guy is my friend and neighbor. All ribbing is good natured fun and it's a 2-way street!)
Slovenec

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's your point here?

Any guitarists who'll compare the guitar sounds in the Kronos or any other keyboard with something going through a 'real marshall stack' must be having you on! Smile

Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to play a Kronos yet but I must admit to being most disappointed when I played the M3 for the 1st time expecting that Korg would have vastly improved the guitar/electric bass programs from the previous Triton/Trinity series. I at least expected Korg PA RX quality and this most certainly wasn't the case with the M3! Yamaha has really nailed their acoustic and electric guitars and basses from the Motif ES onwards. Roland also has some fabulous sounding guitars and basses and this has been the case since the XV series were released in 2000! Korg and Kurzweil are lacking in the guitar emulation department and that is the sad fact......... perhaps the Kronos may have changed all that and the fact that you own a Kronos and that I'm yet to play one means that I respect what you wrote above concerning Kronos' guitars but still highly doubt the Kronos has trumped Yamaha or Roland in this area. Why....? Because in all the demos that Korg has posted online with the Kronos, there's barely any mention off all these great new guitar sounds?

The 'Music Tech' review of the Kronos made an excellent point that people who buy a Kronos should get into programming and customising it for their particular use. This is a fantastic point as the Kronos is one beast(!) of a synthesizer with all those synthesis engines under it's hood. I could see creative programmers using STR1 in combination with guitar samples from HD1 or elsewhere to create some truly stunning 'hybrid' guitar programs. By hybrid, I mean using a combination of STR1 and samples.

Anyway, I'm so glad that you enjoy using your Kronos when praising our great Lord and as far as your drummer is concerned, put some gaffa tape on his mouth if he makes any more outlandish statements concering the Kronos pianos! Smile LOLLOL Smile Smile
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that music tech review of the Kronos available online or is it in a magazine? Sorry too lazy for google. LOL... it's late!!!

glad to see your enjoying the Kronos man. dan. great to see another musician that's using gear for God!!!

keep it up. I'll probably be joining you soon... not sure yet though.

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion is that acoustic guitars tend to get a lot better lately (generally in synths), but an electrical guitar is very hard to reproduce (including playing styles etc).

But if your band and yourself likes the guitars, then that's what most important.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear about your fun with the Kronos!

I don't want to pour water into the wine, but to me the electric guitar patches in the Kronos sound quite outdated and unreal. So I'm very curious which patch you used to get that comment from your guitar player.

I'm interested in any e-guitar patch that sounds decent, or can be made sound decent by editing it a bit. No irony, I'm really trying to make the best of what I find.
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

I don't want to pour water into the wine, but to me the electric guitar patches in the Kronos sound quite outdated and unreal. So I'm very curious which patch you used to get that comment from your guitar player.

I'm interested in any e-guitar patch that sounds decent, or can be made sound decent by editing it a bit. No irony, I'm really trying to make the best of what I find.

+1 to all of that. I've yet to hear a really good electric guitar patch on any keyboard. The same goes for horns too.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkFloydDudi wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

+1 to all of that. I've yet to hear a really good electric guitar patch on any keyboard. The same goes for horns too.

Sorry, I don't recall which patches I played. I was just jumping around from the category window playing different ones.

Guys, don't read too much into the original post. I'm not saying that anyone thought the timbres would fool sophisticated listeners. My point was that they were not immediately repulsed as guitar players usually are.

To get a keyboard to sound like a guitar takes a lot of practice to develop technique. Use of joystick and other controllers are crucial. The time that it takes to do it well would probably be better spent just learning the guitar. Very Happy

But playing a couple of quick short licks, the timbres were impressive enough that my guitar playing buddies weren't bringing up their lunches. Smile
teb335

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of a different angle here - i'm guitarist in my band, and have been heartily fed up trying to replicate synth parts for songs with a guitar. So evenutally have decided to buy a Kronos - and love it.

Ive not been able to get anything close to a "guitar through a decent amp" sound via the Kronos internal sounds (though easy enough to sample parts in of course)- but thats not why i, or anyone??? would buy one.... each to their own etc.

Other thing worth mentioning is that i played a track or two to our drummer the other night, and he commented how stunning the Korons drums sounded - had applied my own eq/fx to one of the dry kits, and must say sounds great through a decent PA.

So in summary - wouldnt knock the Kronos at all for not having an Angus Young tone / technique on tap - if you want that its an SG/Marshall/tonne of practice. As a keyboard/synth/workstation etc - cant fault it !
Chriskk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In fact, the electric guitar player said, "Nice Marshal Stack!"

I think he was kidding. Elec guitar tones on [insert any synth] sound extremely cheesy and unrealistic.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Elec guitar tones on [insert any synth] sound extremely cheesy and unrealistic.

Maybe he just played a power chord or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: