Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos - new sound libraries announced by Korg
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1. I remember loving even the S80 piano sound and being ticked when my Triton's piano sound, well...
Arp_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Bottom line, to some degree, is:

1. Does the sound and playability of the piano in question satisfy and exhilarate you? If the more expensive piano is more satisfying, then perhaps you would buy it. If you find the less expensive piano to do the job for you, then by all means, purchase it. All pianos are not equal. You can sample a piano at 5 velocity levels, unlooped, on every single key, and then sample the hammer noise, the damper noise, the ambience of the room it is in, the mice living in the piano body, etc.... but the end result is: is it a wonderful playing experience? Is it what you need in your tracks?

Number of samples, points of samples, length of samples, etc. is not the most important criteria. Although companies have to list something as specs in order to give you a list of what you're buying. They usually don't just say: "fantastic piano, sounds and plays great." Wink

2. Can you put it in a self-contained workstation, leave the computer at home, and take it to a gig?

I suspect the second point is where Korg assesses a certain percentage of the value of their sound sets to be. For this you might expect to pay a slight premium. Of course, maybe you could get one of those other third party plug-in pianos into the Kronos - but that's generally huge work. More time and cost-effective perhaps to get the Korg "Austrian Grand" or other set, assuming it satisfies you, and assuming you want it self-contained inside your workstation. Just speculating, after seeing much discussion here...

I understand all that, my answer was to burningbusch and how it was implied a little bit that NI skipped some of sampling work maybe to make library cheaper.
I fully agree with both of your points. But I (personally) don't think that the kind of advantages Kronos has in those points really justify a much higher price for its libraries. For example I think that some software libraries are better in sound and playability to Kronos and I don't find it that annoying to run them on a laptop on a gig.
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
> In fact, one of the most enjoyable pianos I've ever played was in my Yamaha S90ES.

I know. I think the S90ES is a keeper for me. I don't like the size or weight, but the instrument itself is great.

I had to sell the S90ES to be able to afford that famous open architecture maschine, but I miss it..
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I had to sell the S90ES to be able to afford that famous open architecture maschine, but I miss it..

Did you get the 88 Kronos? The action on the Yamaha is so good. I haven't had a single problem with my S90->S90ES, just lack of polyphony on the S90. Otherwise, a very solid and great sounding instrument.
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
>I had to sell the S90ES to be able to afford that famous open architecture maschine, but I miss it..

Did you get the 88 Kronos? The action on the Yamaha is so good. I haven't had a single problem with my S90->S90ES, just lack of polyphony on the S90. Otherwise, a very solid and great sounding instrument.

No, I meant to say that I sold some synths back in 2007 to be able to afford the Oasys, and the S90ES was one of them.

I am debating with myself whether to get the Kronos or not, I am really itching for the EP-1...
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> No, I meant to say that I sold some synths back in 2007 to be able to afford the Oasys, and the S90ES was one of them.

Wow, you have an OASYS!? Cool!

The EP on the Kronos is the best I have played. After playing a few gigs with it, it's hard to go and play EP on another board.
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
> No, I meant to say that I sold some synths back in 2007 to be able to afford the Oasys, and the S90ES was one of them.

Wow, you have an OASYS!? Cool!

The EP on the Kronos is the best I have played. After playing a few gigs with it, it's hard to go and play EP on another board.

Well, since we're admiring each others keys, let me say this: I would really really like to get my hands on a VL-1 one day!!
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curvebender wrote:

Well, since we're admiring each others keys . . .

You two should get a room!
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lougheed wrote:
curvebender wrote:

Well, since we're admiring each others keys . . .

You two should get a room!

Very Happy
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VL1 is the most amazing instrument I have. I'm sad because one day it will break and Yamaha doesn't make the breath controller anymore. The breath controller I can make, but not sure about the longevity of the VL1.

I have my custom Sequential Pro One and other solutions, but the VL1 is one of a kind. Yamaha is not going to make another. I asked.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
The VL1 is the most amazing instrument I have. I'm sad because one day it will break and Yamaha doesn't make the breath controller anymore. The breath controller I can make, but not sure about the longevity of the VL1.

I have my custom Sequential Pro One and other solutions, but the VL1 is one of a kind. Yamaha is not going to make another. I asked.

There's a VL-1 on my local craigslist
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so... question on the KARO stuff - are ALL of their Kronos products being released as KEP's? or EXs's? cause they got a LOT of material on their site.
videorov

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: New sounds. Yes love it. Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
apex wrote:
how much?

The 1.5 OS update is free.

The optional EXis will cost money. Korg will most likely announce those prices at the time they are available for sale.

This is great.
videorov

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Sound demo I hope soon Reply with quote

Is Korg going to release a sound demo of these sounds?
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sound demo I hope soon Reply with quote

videorov wrote:
Is Korg going to release a sound demo of these sounds?

I'm sure they will - they always do. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: