Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foot pedal question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Foot pedal question Reply with quote

As a spin off from another thread, I have a question of my own;
Is it possible to change the cc for the foot pedal per program/combi?
Meaning, could I set it to control "master volume" in one program and then cc#04 for a wah in another?
AFAIK, in my Triton Extreme, I have to make the assignment globally. If I want to use the foot pedal for any type of cc control at all, I have to change it globally from my standard "Master Volume" setting. This is tedious and means lots of extra button pressing live for the times when I really need it.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not likely since the pedals are assigned from GLOBAL mode.

What you could do however is look at something like a Behringer Pedal.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCB1010.aspx

You would have far more flexibility using a pedal like this.

Regards
Sharp.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I guess you are wrong on this, Sharp.
In Global Mode, you just decide which pedal is assigned.

SanderXpander, I learned this from a funny experience. I had successfully programmed my Roland expression pedal by connecting it in Global mode and assigning it to Wah in Clavi- and Rhodes-Patches.

Later I used a CX3 sound and wondered about extremely low volume despite having patch and master volume unchanged. Then it became clear that my expression pedal was nearly shut, and that the CX3 patch had it assigned without me being aware of that.

So I had run into the answer to your question just by chance. Cool
ldascanio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Foot pedal question Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
As a spin off from another thread, I have a question of my own;
Is it possible to change the cc for the foot pedal per program/combi?
Meaning, could I set it to control "master volume" in one program and then cc#04 for a wah in another?
AFAIK, in my Triton Extreme, I have to make the assignment globally. If I want to use the foot pedal for any type of cc control at all, I have to change it globally from my standard "Master Volume" setting. This is tedious and means lots of extra button pressing live for the times when I really need it.

Function assigned to each pedal is set in Global mode and cannot be overwritten for each program or combi.
You could do it indirectly if you sacrifice some of the controllers in yout Kronos
i.e. you can assign your pedal to control the ribbon controller. In every program or combi it will always control the ribbon, but as you can assign different parameters to the ribbon per program/combi you can control the parameters you like with the pedal just assigning them to the ribbon.

Rgds.
OASYS 88 #000312
KRONOS 61 #003946
KORG Z1, ROLAND PK-5
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but the same pedal (Expression) can control wah in one program and volume in another.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I think the issue is if you set the pedal to 'FOOT PEDAL 04' in GLOBAL you can't use it universally as an expression/volume pedal. The CX-3 engine defaults to using FOOT PEDAL 04 and it can be used as an AMS dMod source, but, when playing your average program/combi it does not control expression/volume.

One thing you could do is to set up a STEREO COMPRESSOR on the last TFX slot with a ratio of 1:1. Then assign the FOOT PEDAL 04 to the Gain Source.

You would need to do this to every program/combi you need on a nightly basis.

Busch.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see.
I thought, what was possible with a Wah-Clavi AND the CX3 volume, would work with other programs as well.

The compressor solution is a nice workaround just in case you have no alternative.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have one pedal as volume and the other as ribbon controller. And with a switch you can even change so the two pedals get other CC assignments. Works quite well. You also can use a non used CC, but then you have to change every program/combi to make use of the special CC for one of the foot pedals.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing it the way Busch suggests, but was hoping for a more elegant solution on the Kronos (I have an Extreme now). Although with 12 IFX and 2 TFX wasting one on a compressor is managable. It's somewhat annoying having to program this for each sound though...

Hey would it be possible via sysex to switch the global assignment of the pedal from master volume to cc#4? Cause then I could use a small midi (pad?) controller with sysex support to switch more directly. That would be almost ideal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: