Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Kronos KRS-02 Str-1/Mod7 Phase II Sounds for the OASYS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a truly interesting read. Not.

I'll leave you guys to it is as I'm learning nothing from this thread.
SoulBe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaehmmm maybe we can go back on topic .....
Mc Hale obviously feels very comfortable in this section so ...

StR 1 and Mod7 engines are the same in Kronos and Oasys, so Dany made a valueable point. Why Korg sends a warm letter to us but does not release those libraries when both synth engines should be compatible ? And please donīt tell me about bits and bytes and that the files of Kronos are larger etc ; itīs the same engines and i can hardly believe that KOrg has not a programm to make it readable for Oasys.

So what?

To discontinue a synth is one thing; another thing not to release /convert sounds for implented synth engines StR 1 / MOD7. To me this hasnīt to do with lifetime, etc but trying to force Oasys customers to buy the new product and that is a slap in the face Sad

SoulBe

Edit: or does that letter from Korg mean, that some of the future Kronos libraries are also compatible to Oasys f.e. MOD7/StR1 and we can buy it?
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
TonyGen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBe wrote:

StR 1 and Mod7 engines are the same in Kronos and Oasys, so Dany made a valueable point. Why Korg sends a warm letter to us but does not release those libraries when both synth engines should be compatible ? And please donīt tell me about bits and bytes and that the files of Kronos are larger etc ; itīs the same engines and i can hardly believe that KOrg has not a programm to make it readable for Oasys.

So what?

To discontinue a synth is one thing; another thing not to release /convert sounds for implented synth engines StR 1 / MOD7. To me this hasnīt to do with lifetime, etc but trying to force Oasys customers to buy the new product and that is a slap in the face Sad

SoulBe

Exactly......

Be careful my troll sensor is going off scale.....
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyGen wrote:
SoulBe wrote:

So what?

SoulBe

Exactly......

Be careful my troll sensor is going off scale.....

+ 1
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, but I must agree with McHale Sad

He's not being hypocritical and his points are rather very valid I think.

I myself am not too fond that my Oasys is sitting here and cost a small fortune, but think of those people that have other passions that cost them a whole lot more:

1-some mini sports car (which gets used and parts rust)
2-motorbike (again which is driven recklessly and crashes)
3-hot air ballooning
4-― lifetime of scuba diving
5-have a child and all those expenses associated with it.
6-Buying a house in Florida, only to have it washed away from Katrina.

We got value for our money, we got something that can last at least 20 years if taken care of. It works the same way, plays the same sounds at the same quality, whereas a car/motorbike rusts and engine cranks and blah blah whatnot.

AND Korg gave us about 5 whole years of support! Some free, others cost in themselves quite a bit of money too. But they still supported for 5 years.

Oasys can literally provide a million hours of pleasure!
Not even sex can escalate up to that amount!

BUT we feel we paid alot, because now comes the Kronos at ― price.

Well as McHale says, so do PC's drop in value very quickly.

Imagine buying a big PC, the manufacturer and Microsoft/Apple gave your free OS's for the next 5 years.
And that PC was powerful enough to use for at least 20 years and even after 20 years, it was STILL able to compete with others in the current market.

I think we actually GOT something for our money. We got technology 5 years earlier than other people that got their Kronos's and we had 5 years of pleasure, when we were a "team" and discussed all things positively related to Oasys.
We enjoyed when magazine reviewers wrote that we had "the best in the world".
But times passes, and because its technology, it invariably catches up, of which we are experiencing now with the Kronos.
Rocness

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
Sorry guys, but I must agree with McHale Sad

He's not being hypocritical and his points are rather very valid I think.

I myself am not too fond that my Oasys is sitting here and cost a small fortune, but think of those people that have other passions that cost them a whole lot more:

1-some mini sports car (which gets used and parts rust)
2-motorbike (again which is driven recklessly and crashes)
3-hot air ballooning
5-have a child and all those expenses associated with it.
6-Buying a house in Florida, only to have it washed away from Katrina.

But times passes, and because its technology, it invariably catches up, of which we are experiencing now with the Kronos.

I strongly disagree with you .

1st of all , I here your points, but I did not buy a.....

1-mini sports car
2-motorbike
3-hot air ballooning
a house in Florida

And mind you, on top of that none of the thing you mentioned was
sold with the promise to add new technologies , but the Oasys was .

What I bought was a Open Architecture SYnthesis Studio (OASYS) .

Which was sold on the foundation that the Oasys is a open system that
Korg would use to load in new technologies as they develop them in the future . The price $8000

That was advertised as an investment in your musical future why because it's open of course not like all those other synths , we can add stuff when ever we want . Now Korg says hey ,
if you want the new stuff i'll give you a discount on a falling apart , uneven key , loud fan noise , small screen , skimpy vector joy stick , data knob popping off , inferior sounding , same crappy sequencer , copy effects for every channel Kronos .

Korg made a promise to Oasys owners and they should keep it .

Mchale is a monday morning quarterback , all up in the game and don't deserve to be a player and he has been exposed over and over agin.

Last edited by Rocness on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your intent on selling your Oasys,I don't see why so many feel cheated over it,the Oasys was dropped Kronos was born and then some....its happened since the history of synthesizers,

We paid through the nose for it,but it was price relavant at the time of release,same with anything it depreciattes,and newer technology comes along and supercedes it,the Oasys is still worth its price tag to me as I have no intention of selling it.

I think much of the problem is that many Oasys owners are hanging onto the "Future proof" image it was marketed as...well Korg kicked that to the curb,either let it dampen your musical enthusiasm and look at the O as a rather large Paperweight or enjoy it for what its is/Does and never buy anything from Korg again in principle of it...for me that certainly will be my stance,I can bitch about what they left out or could port to the Oasys based on the Kronos recent OS updates but theres so much to utilise inside the Oasys that whats in there is always going to keep me occupied to even worry about "What could have been"

I'm an Oasys owner,Kronos is out.....couldn't really give a hoot about a few gloating Kronos owners who got more for less,its a current product thats going to be supported for a while yet,if you crave those extra things it has over the Oasys then go and buy yourself one,if Korg are able to port those into the Oasys,then so be it I'm sure it'll be great if they do,but don't hold your breath,I kind of get the impression that the free Codes we were given recently were a sweetener to soften the blow of the Kronos feature updates or butter up a few Oasys owners who were comtemplating going sidewards to the Kronos.

The whole Kronos vs Oasys episode is one of those discussions that will forever run,and your always going to get the playground attitudes from Kronites" I got more for half the pricenah nah nah na na"

Korg seem to have fallen into a Making instruments for the masses with there price points and some of the gimmicky toys they've made recently,the Oasys was a niche instrument and still is its price tag reflected that,Kronos whilst essentially having the same guts was built with that masses price tag in place,I'm sure my Oasys will still be going strong long after many Kronos are in the graveyard.

for me if they had updated the sequencer to a more featured DAW then I might have been bothered they dropped Oasys in favour of it.The only feature I like about it is the setlist...

Its progress....Thankfully I won't be even tempted into buying this cheaper workstation!
TonyGen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
Unless your intent on selling your Oasys,I don't see why so many feel cheated over it,the Oasys was dropped Kronos was born and then some....its happened since the history of synthesizers,

We paid through the nose for it,but it was price relavant at the time of release,same with anything it depreciattes,and newer technology comes along and supercedes it,the Oasys is still worth its price tag to me as I have no intention of selling it.

I think much of the problem is that many Oasys owners are hanging onto the "Future proof" image it was marketed as...well Korg kicked that to the curb,either let it dampen your musical enthusiasm and look at the O as a rather large Paperweight or enjoy it for what its is/Does and never buy anything from Korg again in principle of it...for me that certainly will be my stance,I can bitch about what they left out or could port to the Oasys based on the Kronos recent OS updates but theres so much to utilise inside the Oasys that whats in there is always going to keep me occupied to even worry about "What could have been"

I'm an Oasys owner,Kronos is out.....couldn't really give a hoot about a few gloating Kronos owners who got more for less,its a current product thats going to be supported for a while yet,if you crave those extra things it has over the Oasys then go and buy yourself one,if Korg are able to port those into the Oasys,then so be it I'm sure it'll be great if they do,but don't hold your breath,I kind of get the impression that the free Codes we were given recently were a sweetener to soften the blow of the Kronos feature updates or butter up a few Oasys owners who were comtemplating going sidewards to the Kronos.

The whole Kronos vs Oasys episode is one of those discussions that will forever run,and your always going to get the playground attitudes from Kronites" I got more for half the pricenah nah nah na na"

Korg seem to have fallen into a Making instruments for the masses with there price points and some of the gimmicky toys they've made recently,the Oasys was a niche instrument and still is its price tag reflected that,Kronos whilst essentially having the same guts was built with that masses price tag in place,I'm sure my Oasys will still be going strong long after many Kronos are in the graveyard.

for me if they had updated the sequencer to a more featured DAW then I might have been bothered they dropped Oasys in favour of it.The only feature I like about it is the setlist...

Its progress....Thankfully I won't be even tempted into buying this cheaper workstation!

I think we are in basic agreement here. The sales pitch on future proof etc. had me hooked. That won't happen again.

The Oasys will do fine for me until it packs up and repair costs start to exceed value.....

The bottom line is I (like you) won't buy new Korg stuff anymore. Will Korg.com go bankrupt because of what you and I may choose to do ? Hell no. but it makes me (and I guess you) feel so much better.

I suspect a Kronos troll will now interject to tell me how exactly I should be feeling.....
TonyGen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:

BUT we feel we paid alot, because now comes the Kronos at ― price.

Sorry, Hedegaard, I don't feel that way.

I complained about the high cost of Oasys as soon as Korg announced no further support. I've spent a fair amount of money on musical gear since then, although none of it has ended up in Korg's bank account. Fantastic gear it is too Sounds Good
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Tony.

I am in the same boat as you. Also being an Oasys owner and also feeling that I wished support didn't stop.

If we got for example 10 extra EXi e.t.c then it would have been more "worth it".

But as it is now, its still a remarkable piece of gear. The uses are far reaching, much more than any single piece of gear ever created in the past - so imagine what music can be created, when there already exists so much wonderful music that was created before the Oasys's time Smile
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:
And mind you, on top of that none of the thing you mentioned was sold with the promise to add new technologies , but the Oasys was.

And after the OASYS was released, they released 4 new sound engines: MS-20, PolySix, STR-1, and MOD-7. I don't know what YOU think adding new technologies means, but Korg did that and more with 5 years of OS updates.

Being an early adopter to ANY technology always costs more than if you wait. I've payed close to $1000 for a cell phone (twice) for that very reason. Now, they are a couple hundred bucks and 10 times better. I'm so surprised you don't understand that and have already forgotten what the original OASYS was compared to where it ended up.

If you're upset because you had much higher expectations, that's your fault. Buy based on what you know, not what you hope for. I bought the KRONOS (as well as every other thing...ever) by the announced specs and feature lists. If you're saying you bought the OASYS because you dreamed of much better things to come, don't blame Korg. It's called Delusions of Grandeur.

EDIT: Thanks 'Teh Mick' for the correction. My post has been updated.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).

Last edited by McHale on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teh Mick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
Rocness wrote:
And mind you, on top of that none of the thing you mentioned was sold with the promise to add new technologies , but the Oasys was.

And after the OASYS was released, they released 3 new sound engines: MS-20, PolySix, and MOD-7. I don't know what YOU think adding new technologies means, but Korg did that and more with 5 years of OS updates.

STR-1 was not available at lauch, it was added with OS 1.1.
Roland JD-990
Novation Remote SL Compact
shawnhar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
And after the OASYS was released, they released 3 new sound engines: MS-20, PolySix, and MOD-7.

Also STR1, not to mention EXs3...

Oasys launched with 3 synth engines (PCM, analog modeling, and organ modeling). Ended with 7, having added best-of-breed physical modeling and FM synths, plus two distinctive 'character' analog emulations. That strikes me as pretty awesome support, more than doubling where it started!

I have to say I don't understand all the negativity in these threads, and am greatly saddened by it. I could never afford an Oasys, but I read all about it and lusted after it for years. Now that a more affordable version is available, I have one on order and am looking forward to finally experiencing for myself what you early adopters have been enjoying for the past six years.

So I head over to these forums, hoping to learn some neat tricks from the experts. And indeed there are many great tricks here to be learned, but also what seems like endless bickering between two camps, both determined to undermine and/or ignore the other.

Come on people, they're basically the same synth! The vast majority of what we learn on one can apply equally to the other. As an eager Kronos owner, it would greatly disappoint me if this ill feeling left me unable to discuss and share with the Oasys owners who were early adopters of this same technology...
TonyGen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
Ok Tony.

I am in the same boat as you. Also being an Oasys owner and also feeling that I wished support didn't stop.

If we got for example 10 extra EXi e.t.c then it would have been more "worth it".

But as it is now, its still a remarkable piece of gear. The uses are far reaching, much more than any single piece of gear ever created in the past - so imagine what music can be created, when there already exists so much wonderful music that was created before the Oasys's time Smile

Hedegaard, I couldn't agree more. The Oasys is still my fave piece of gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: