Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Kronos KRS-02 Str-1/Mod7 Phase II Sounds for the OASYS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I think Korg was perhaps hoping for more third party development for the Oasys, but it never got there? I'm just speculating here but I know that the Oasys PCI is STILL being used and developed for in sound design studios. Somewhat of a niche market, but the same could be said for the Oasys workstations.
shawnhar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how they could have had third party development when they never released any documentation, tools, or an SDK to enable that!

Even leaving aside whether the market would have been big enough to be interesting to third parties, I'm doubtful whether Korg ever would have wanted that. Truly open platforms that can run third party code have many advantages, but also many problems: it's hard to maintain quality and robustness if you don't know exactly what software is running, control how it was tested, etc!

My guess is they intentionally didn't open this up, in order to be able to control reliability of the platform. That is after all their single big selling point compared to a Windows PC. If they opened things up so it could run arbitrary softsynths from other companies, they'd risk ending up with just a very expensive PC, losing all the big advantages they get from being a dedicated hardware device that only runs their own specially tuned code.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Also, I think Korg was perhaps hoping for more third party development for the Oasys, but it never got there? I'm just speculating here but I know that the Oasys PCI is STILL being used and developed for in sound design studios. Somewhat of a niche market, but the same could be said for the Oasys workstations.

It is somewhat strange that the detailed MIDI sysex documents have not been published for the Oasys, while it was done for the Triton, M50, M3 and Kronos.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TonyGen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
TonyGen wrote:
Korg introduced the M3 and soon after updated it's sequencer (at zero cost) to include piano roll. Surely the flagship Korg synth costing many times more than the M3 should have had a sequencer update to at least put in on a par with M3.

Then why didn't they put piano roll on the KRONOS if it's so easy?

Don't know ask Kato next time you see him

Piano (T)roll
TonyGen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawnhar wrote:

My guess is they intentionally didn't open this up, in order to be able to control reliability of the platform. That is after all their single big selling point compared to a Windows PC. If they opened things up so it could run arbitrary softsynths from other companies, they'd risk ending up with just a very expensive PC, losing all the big advantages they get from being a dedicated hardware device that only runs their own specially tuned code.

I've come to the same conclusion. So a bit misleading of Korg to call it Open Architecture but we've done that discussion to death.
shawnhar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Open" is one of the worst defined words in the English language Smile

I work in the software field (in the Xbox developer tools group at Microsoft) so spend a lot of my time dealing with exactly such issues.

"Open source", "OpenGL", "open developer platform", all use the same word to mean radically different things, and that's even before the marketing people get involved!
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyGen wrote:

I thought you had all the answers since it was a BIG conspiracy against OASYS owners. If it were easily doable, don't you think they'd have done it for the KRONOS?
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
TonyGen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
TonyGen wrote:

I thought you had all the answers since it was a BIG conspiracy against OASYS owners. If it were easily doable, don't you think they'd have done it for the KRONOS?

You know what thought did......he went to a funeral and thought it was a wedding....

Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawnhar wrote:

"Open source", "OpenGL", "open developer platform", all use the same word to mean radically different things, d!

Yeh.....in Korg land it also uses a radical different meaning too "open architecture" which when translated to Japanese mean
"weeso-ripped-chewoff" Mr. Green

Last edited by Kontrol49 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
TonyGen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
shawnhar wrote:

"Open source", "OpenGL", "open developer platform", all use the same word to mean radically different things, d!

Yeh.....in Korg land it also uses a radical different meaning too "open architecture" which when translated to Japanese means "wee-so-ripped-chewoff"

Laughing
TonyGen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawnhar wrote:
"Open" is one of the worst defined words in the English language Smile

I work in the software field (in the Xbox developer tools group at Microsoft) so spend a lot of my time dealing with exactly such issues.

"Open source", "OpenGL", "open developer platform", all use the same word to mean radically different things, and that's even before the marketing people get involved!

The marketing people certainly did a good job on me and quite a few others.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyGen wrote:

um... yah. How old were you when you bought it, 9?

Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
TonyGen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
TonyGen wrote:

um... yah. How old were you when you bought it, 9?

Wow, comic genius alert...... ROFL

BTW can't help noticing you are on the Oasys forum a heckuva lot. Dont tell me that the Kronos keyboard action is getting you down.......

No wonder it's cheaper than an Oasys..... Shocked

McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyGen wrote:
BTW can't help noticing you are on the Oasys forum a heckuva lot. Dont tell me that the Kronos keyboard action is getting you down.......

Not at all, in fact, the RH3 rocks on the two new Piano-based engines the Kronos has. I'm surprised the OASYS didn't get them. Someone should start a few dozen posts about how ripped off every OASYS owner (in the eyes of 3 or 4 people) feels.
TonyGen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
TonyGen wrote:

Not at all, in fact, the RH3 rocks on the two new Piano-based engines the Kronos has. I'm surprised the OASYS didn't get them. Someone should start a few dozen posts about how ripped off every OASYS owner (in the eyes of 3 or 4 people) feels.

Here's another one for ya......anyone know of a good mother keyboard to midi up to the Kronos Cool

And of course we can't blame Korg for the poor build quality. After all they are in business to make a profit (apparently).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: