Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why so many LP (Low Pass) multisamples?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Why so many LP (Low Pass) multisamples? Reply with quote

A question I've never thought to ask in 20 years.

There seem to be no fewer than 52 x 'LP' variants of mulitsample waveforms on the Trinity (shown highlighted in light-grey in the Trinity Multisample List at the bottom of this post) - they're all copies of existing waveforms, just seemingly low-passed.

Why so many? What are they for?

I mean, it's easy enough to set up filters on waveforms when programming a patch - the Trinity certainly has enough filters to play with (two per multisample in fact, a total of four per patch) - it wouldn't take much to add a LowPass filter to an existing waveform, so why go to the trouble of adding dedicated 'LP' versions of so many multisamples?

And more to the point, do they take up ROM space that other different multisamples could've taken? (If this is the case, it's kinda cheeky as it could've been better to use the space for new, radically different multisamples instead).

Or, are they not actually new multisamples, but employ software trickery to place a realtime filter on the existing original multisample and pass it off as a new multisample? (Which is also kinda cheeky as it would appear like there are more multisamples than there are).

Either way, it seems a bit odd.

Am I missing something?

Trinty & TR-Rack multisamples:-

blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Why so many LP (Low Pass) multisamples? Reply with quote

Timo wrote:
A question I've never thought to ask in 20 years.

There seem to be no fewer than 52 x 'LP' variants of mulitsample waveforms on the Trinity (shown highlighted in light-grey in the Trinity Multisample List at the bottom of this post) - they're all copies of existing waveforms, just seemingly low-passed.

Why so many? What are they for?

I mean, it's easy enough to set up filters on waveforms when programming a patch - the Trinity certainly has enough filters to play with (two per multisample in fact, a total of four per patch) - it wouldn't take much to add a LowPass filter to an existing waveform, so why go to the trouble of adding dedicated 'LP' versions of so many multisamples?

And more to the point, do they take up ROM space that other different multisamples could've taken? (If this is the case, it's kinda cheeky as it could've been better to use the space for new, radically different multisamples instead).

Or, are they not actually new multisamples, but employ software trickery to place a realtime filter on the existing original multisample and pass it off as a new multisample? (Which is also kinda cheeky as it would appear like there are more multisamples than there are).

Either way, it seems a bit odd.

Am I missing something?

Trinty & TR-Rack multisamples:-

Hi Timo,
Never too late as they say. LP doesn’t mean Low Pass but LooP. Those samples miss the attack transient of the samples. It comes from the M1 and 01/W era of doing things. But I always found it a bit weird as the Trinity has a box you can tick to achieve the same thing, hence maybe at a different point in the sample file.

Take notice of that check box, when you select a LP variant, the check box becomes greyed out since you’re already using a sample where the attack transient is already missing. I don’t think they take any more space than the original, non-looped sample. It must be a trick where it use the same info but has a hidden parameter that use the truncated original…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: