Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering an M3 and Nord Lead 2X instead of Kronos...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeloop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Considering an M3 and Nord Lead 2X instead of Kronos... Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I've just posted this in the M3 forum, but I thought it would be interesting to see what people in the Kronos forum think!

I've been waiting for a while for my Kronos 73 to arrive in Australia, but today I happened to play a Nord Lead 2x and kind of fell in love with it. It has this amazingly raw analog-y sound and a very cool pitch bender that you can use as vibrato...

One of the main reasons I was interested in the Kronos was (apart from the pianos and the great "modern" synth sounds) some of the analog emulations that some of its synth engines offer.

After today though, I'm thinking that for the same price as a Kronos, I could get a brand new M3 (they are very cheap in Australia now... the 73 note version was something like $4,200 and can now be found for $2,499) AND one of these Nord lead 2Xs...

What do you think?
I'd love to hear from people who looked at Kronos but chose a different option such as this...

Cheers and looking forward to some thoughts!
Mike
Slovenec

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the Nord is a great instrument and the M3 is nice also.

However, wait just a little longer and get the Kronos. It will offer much more power and versatility as a single instrument with those 9 synthesis engines, vastly superior pianos, 3 different VA synth engines, superior effects and all in the one instrument.

The M3 only has 1 form of synthesis (2 if you add the Radias expansion board) and, besides it's currently superior sequencer, offers much less of everything that the Kronos has.

You won't regret waiting. I played the Kronos for the 1st time today and I wouldn't ever go back to wanting an M3 or other older Korg instrument. This keyboard is now the way of the future.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad Nord Leads are quite limited in comparison to Kronos' synth engines.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume u can afford the K.

Note that many M3 owners are selling theirs.

While the M3 has 1 or 2 features not found on the K, the K has a long list of strengths over the M3 plus the Lead.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget that Nord Lead and pick up a used JP-8000.

It's a synth that sounds like a synth. It does all of the fun sounds you want out of an analog type synth. Fat basses, arpeggiators, motion control, crazy synced oscillators, feedback oscillation, filter sweeps, beautiful pads and way more. I like the Nord too, but the JP is something I've been looking for a long time.

It's what I thought the Jupiter would be. Immediate control, synth sounds and nothing but fun.

Then go out and buy the Kronos with the money you saved.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it. If you like it enough to post on the Kronos forum, you've probably almost made up your mind anyway.

Either way enjoy whatever machine you end up with.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Forget that Nord Lead and pick up a used JP-8000.

It's a synth that sounds like a synth. It does all of the fun sounds you want out of an analog type synth. Fat basses, arpeggiators, motion control, crazy synced oscillators, feedback oscillation, filter sweeps, beautiful pads and way more. I like the Nord too, but the JP is something I've been looking for a long time.

It's what I thought the Jupiter would be. Immediate control, synth sounds and nothing but fun.

Then go out and buy the Kronos with the money you saved.

+1 Aron!

I too use a JP-8000 and this thing is crazy fun. For really nasty analogishness MIDI a JP-8000 to the Kronos, use MS20EX and JP-8000 together and you have the ability to make sounds with VERY sharp fangs.

JP-8000s and the rack mount JP-8080 are all over the place and you can snag one for 399USD. Remember that in its time it was considered a top of the line VA.

Aron mentioned the motion control feature of the JP-8000 and this really adds a lot of complexity to the sound. As with all synths, don't go by the presets although there ARE some tasty ones in the JP-8000. This classic VA BEGS to be tweaked!

Yeloop, you strike me as a person that really wants to experiment with interesting new soundscapes. Not to dis the M3, but it simply cannot match the synthesis possibilities of Kronos.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
Slovenec

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too remember lusting over the JP8000 when it was released in 1997 and then the JP8080 when it came out in 1998. These instruments truly are a lot of fun to play. I was however put off by the average action of the 49 note non aftertouch velocity sensitive keyboard and the small 8 note polyphony. The Nord 2X has more polyphony. However, the JP sounds were outstanding (and still are of course!) and there's a stack of real time control.

Another synth from that time period that I liked was the Yamaha AN1X which had a fantastic sound all of it's own and a better aftertouch sensitive 61 note keyboard. it didn't have the amount of real time control offered by the JP though.

In the end, I bit the bullet, saved up the extra and purchased an 18 voice Korg Z1 (that I now regret selling although I sold it at a good price at the time).

Seriously though, getting back to the original them of this post, get the Kronos. You won't regret it.
yeloop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, some interesting advice!

Much appreciated.

I've also played the Nord WAVE, which is very interesting - combining sampling with real time synthesis, and again with a lot of knobs to control the sound manually.

I'll have to have another think about what I do.

My current Triton Extreme is still great - perhaps I should hold onto that and add the Nord, rather than selling it for a Kronos only...
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Nord models have that antiquated interface with horrible display. The first time I played one I thought... what a terrible interface. The sound however was good - but very little effects.

Myself, I don't like that lever. I like wheels!

Good luck on whatever you choose. It's nice to buy new things!
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the Nord is an okay synth, I agree that the JP-8000 is a better choice to me. You get something of the original Jupiter-8 flavor for like 1/15th the price. But the VAs I really dig are the AKAI Miniak, Alesis Ion, the Virus - at least the C and later with the Moogish filter, and Radias. In fact, the Radias is such a chameleon, and can stack six oscillators and four filters, that I think it's the most underrated of the current VAs out there.

Oh, and I have to agree on the Z1, superb synth even if the reverb is a little yucky.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the Nord Wave that well, but the whole point of their line in general is that you actually don't need the screen for very many things. Preset names are the bulk of it. There is a knob, switch or lever for 90% of the other things, and with so many rotary dials and led faders a lot of it is instantly visible. Honestly, the thing I like MOST about my Stage Classic is the interface. It's by far the quickest-to-program digital machine that I have. Including a Karma, Triton Extreme/Moss, Roland RD170, Hammond XB1, Roland AX-synth, Novation A-Station, Roland JX10, Roland AJ2 and various softsynths.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but the whole point of their line in general is that you actually don't need the screen for very many things

Apparently so since the lead doesn't have an LCD display. And those up and down buttons.... are we in the 70's?

In general I like the sounds of the Nord though.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that this is getting somewhat off topic, but I can't for the life of me understand why you seem to want less buttons? Because that is the only reason why you would get a bigger screen; less buttons and more menus. Basically, on the Nord, the panel is gicing off so much information it acts like the screen would on other digital devices.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering an M3 and Nord Lead 2X instead of Kronos... Reply with quote

yeloop wrote:
After today though, I'm thinking that for the same price as a Kronos, I could get a brand new M3 (they are very cheap in Australia now... the 73 note version was something like $4,200 and can now be found for $2,499) AND one of these Nord lead 2Xs...

What do you think?

I'm not sure it's a good idea:
¤ the M3 won't give you the SGX-1 acoustic pianos nor the EP-1 EPs nor the MOD-1 FM sounds...
¤ the Nord Lead 2X is a great sounding virtual analog but it has no on-board effects, so you'll have to add the price of a reverb/FX processor (Lexicon MX200/300/400, TC Electronic M350/2000/3000, ...) to your budget if you don't already have one and if you want a full hardware setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: