Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Touchscreen pretty useless bright outside gigs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petekey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Touchscreen pretty useless bright outside gigs Reply with quote

So I had an outside gig this weekend and the touchscreen was hardly visible. I had to hold my hand in front of the screen to shade it and still get really close to be able to see it.

Any thoughts or ideas on this? I haven't looked to see if you could adjust the brightness of the screen, I just assumed it was set to its brightest.

Thanks,
Pete
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but this is subject is getting old. Do you know of any keyboard interface that looks as good outdoors as in?
Maybe Korg should have mad the screen Polarized. Smile

Hell, for that matter, my $3500. TV looks like sh*t outside too..
Petekey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for posting, hadn't seen other posts on it and no I didn't scroll through all the other posts.

Just asking if there were workarounds I didn't think of.

Sorry to bother you.
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know if I'm using my iPad outside, it washes out and is hard to read. The reality of being outside, methinks.
FGTH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindle is great outside. Cool
Petekey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, someone in the band told me I should have gotten a Kindle. Would have been cheaper too Very Happy

Ok, so we just gotta hook up a Kindle USB and we'll have a black and white Kronos touchscreen right? Smile
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Touchscreen pretty useless bright outside gigs Reply with quote

Petekey wrote:

Any thoughts or ideas on this? I haven't looked to see if you could adjust the brightness of the screen, I just assumed it was set to its brightest.

Thanks,
Pete

There is a brightness control (Global P0: Basic Setup -> menu -> LCD Setup), but from the factory I'd expect it to be on maximum. It's worth checking, anyway.

Hope this helps,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petekey wrote:
Sorry for posting, hadn't seen other posts on it and no I didn't scroll through all the other posts.

Just asking if there were workarounds I didn't think of.

Sorry to bother you.

Peter, you didn't bother me. (I was hoping the smilie would have told you that) I didn't mean to sound abrupt.
Sorry if it came off that way. It's just a little screen that will be affected by the elements, regardless.
I have read here, somewhere that users were putting a cardboard window-like shape around the screen.
Petekey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob Lou. Yeah, I figured the cardboard route was going to be the answer.

Pete
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
Sorry, but this is subject is getting old. Do you know of any keyboard interface that looks as good outdoors as in?

Actually, this is a different issue which I haven't seen addressed here before--readability in sunlight. This is a problem with LCD screens in general, not just on Kronos. I would suggest to the poster to do a google search on "anti-reflective anti-glare films for LCD screens in sunlight." There are several commercially available solutions that can help improve the situation.

For example:
http://sailing.about.com/od/equipmentgear/gr/NushieldReview.htm
Though this particular one doesn't appear to work all that well...but you get the point Wink
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all fairness to Korg, the only screens that would meet your requirements of no washout in sunlight would be avionic grade commercial aircraft screens.

One Airbus 320 has at least 6, possibly 8 of these screens.

The cheapest are supplied and fitted at $130,000.

Each.

You seriously do not want to know how much the Boeing 787 screens (10 of them) are... Laughing

Perhaps you could try fabricating a card shade that sticks down with velcro or something?
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that the obvious solution is simply to tilt the screen to avoid the glare. On an Oasys this is simple....on Kronos, it requires tilting the entire keyboard. Another solution is to put some form of glare guard around or above the Kronos screen. It might be as simple as putting the Kronos on the bottom tier of a two tier stand....hopefully the top tier keyboard would shield the sunlight and improve the view on Kronos.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure one of the antiglare screens you can buy for iPods would greatly improve the situation for those really needing better outdoor visibility. Any glossy surface is going to be horrible in the light, which is why they make matte monitors available on MacBooks. I'm not sure where you could find a size that would fit the Kronos screen perfectly, but it might be worth looking into for those really needing better outdoor visibility.
Muji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few elegant solutions to this problem...

Korg Microkorg
StudioLogic VMK-176+ Keyboard Controller
Ketron SD2 Sound Module
Alesis SR-16
Slovenec

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why oh why did Korg forget to put an optical or electronic viewfinder on the Kronos?????? Oh of course, it's not a camera!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: