Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OASYS/TR Piano on Triton?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaneLessor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: OASYS/TR Piano on Triton? Reply with quote

Hey everyone. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm curious if there's any way I can get the TR/OASYS piano sound on my Triton Pro? I know the TR PCG is compatible and every patch except the Piano one works when I load it. Same with every other Triton-compatible workstation I've tried to get the Piano off of (like Studio, Extreme, etc).

If this can't be done, does anyone here know of a way to get a better more realistic sounding piano on my Triton?

Thanks in advance! Wink
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The piano on the TR is based on the OASYS piano, but it uses samples in a special expansion ROM which isn't present in the Triton.

You might want to look into the piano PCM expansion board - specifically EXB-PCM08 or perhaps EXB-PCM01.

The built in piano sounds can be tweaked to sound somewhat more realistic but they aren't ideal. I've got a tone I'm relatively happy with on my KARMA (which has the same sound engine and basic ROM at the standard Triton).

There are also some free samples about - for example at the Korg Forums download section on www.korgforums.com. Paid samples are also available. However the problem with user samples is that you have to load them every time at startup.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ShaneLessor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply! How many expansion boards are possible to get on my Triton? Where do you recommend to buy these? Ebay?

Do the expansion boards come with new programs and new combis, or..?

I knew about the expansion boards, I've just never considered them.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expansion boards hold the samples. They are ROM chips so unlike user samples, you don't have to load anything at poweron. The package should come with the sample expansion board (looks like a stick of RAM), and a floppy disk which contains a PCG file of programs and combis that use those samples. so you load that PCG data once into your triton into an empty bank(s).

These days you can pretty much only get them 2nd hand. I've bought EXB-PCM04 (Vintage Synths) for my KARMA and it's great. I mainly use the samples to program my own sounds though as most of the programs aren't that interesting to me.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ShaneLessor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I checked out the price on eBay for EXB-PCM08, and it's like $200.

Any websites you know of that I can get it any cheaper? $200 isn't that much less expensive than I got my Triton itself for.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to the download section. Download a file I uploaded a LONG time ago called EXB-PCM08 EMULATED. I used the PCM-08 .pcg file and tweaked it while using the stock piano samples. I liked the results better than the pcm-08 when I had it. That's as good as you're going to get with stock samples.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
ShaneLessor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check it out and let you know how I like it! Thanks for your help!

EDIT:

A downloaded it and I only tried out the concert grand (I'll check out the rest later tonight) and all I can say is WOW! This is without a doubt the best Triton piano I have ever heard! This is fantastic. You did an excellent job with this. If I ever need a sound done I know who to come to! Laughing

Did you ever make any more emulations of expansion boards? I'll check the downloads section. That piano is so good, I replaced it as the default on my Triton. Fantastic work, mate.

PS, I see you have a Kronos. That's amazing.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on website, in the signature, you can find a piano sample for the triton as well. ot requires user sample loading, about 4 floppies unfortunately....

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked it. There is also one more good piano in there called Euro Grand [VS] that is a little brighter I also use. The others are pretty forgettable. But Concert Grand and Euro Grand are the two I use the most. I actually prefer it to the piano on the M50. I also set SW2 (I think) so I can hold the ribbon which I use to make the patch brighter or darker on the fly.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).

Last edited by McHale on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
ShaneLessor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samples are only one per octave though, right? And samples don't have velocity switching either, do they?

McHale, I'll check that piano out. I love the other one.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaneLessor wrote:
Samples are only one per octave though, right? And samples don't have velocity switching either, do they?

McHale, I'll check that piano out. I love the other one.

for pianos? no

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
Lex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi McHale, I was wondering if your piano .pcg would work with a Korg KARMA, or would the lack of any sampling on this board mean your piano patches were incompatible?

Cheers.
ShaneLessor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lex. It should work just fine. Smile
jmi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCM01 : forget for acoustic pianos
PCM08 : better but not wonderful either
*Note I had found it at 135 USD on ebay in L.A but the seller did not want to ship worldwide and cancelled transaction. I can give you his name in PM.

I also use ksounds vol1 (70 USD) which sounds quite nice to me despite reverb, but you need SCSI, 64 MB RAM, and time to load ...

Be careful about demos, they all sound nice, but you can be disappointed.
Sglov25

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Hey McHale? You still around? Question about EXB-PCM08 Emula Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
go to the download section. Download a file I uploaded a LONG time ago called EXB-PCM08 EMULATED. I used the PCM-08 .pcg file and tweaked it while using the stock piano samples. I liked the results better than the pcm-08 when I had it. That's as good as you're going to get with stock samples.

-Mc

I just recently added the DRAMM/SIMM option to my Korg TR88 and was wondering if it is possible to load the sample you spoke of in a prior post "EXB-PCM08 Emulated" by USB stick or sysex to my TR88?

I also came across samples/sounds from ksounds that sound absolutely incredible! I know that there are problems with the "Effects transfer" of Triton sounds to the Tr88 but ksounds claims that they are pretty close and provide Mp3 audio samples.

http://ksounds.com/html/korg.html

I am interested in only the Pianos Volume 1, Pianos 2 and Epic Grand. Are you familiar with these at all?

Thanks in advance for your response!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: