Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 88 and RH3 keyboard faulty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109, 110  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:

1% is a number that KORG mentioned in a semi-PR release, weeks or months after the problem was widely known, and it took them months to announce a cure to a problem.

Sorry to put it this way, but considering the fact that we've had a nuber of complaints about this on the forum - and some users even had experiences with 3-4 Kronoses suffering from the same issue - this seems a bit unlikely to me. And it wasn't a "few actually have problems". Forum is filled with these reports.

I'm not saying that you are wrong with your statements, i've tried 5 kronusses and on all 5 i could reproduce the double strike problem. So in my opinion it's also not 1 percent.

But when someone doesn't experience the problem it simply doesn't make sense to replace the keyboard out of cost perspective. Maybe that's not fair, but it wasn't fair either how we as complainers were treated by all the korg fan boys over here that shouted that there was no general problem and now suddenly everyone want's their faultless keyboard replaced.

Of course the keyboard should be replaced when someone have problems with it. If a demonstration of the problem entitles someone to get his / her keyboard replaced that's fine by me. It's very easy to reproduce the problem when playing (i could reproduce it on every keyboard i've tried)

Quote:

BTW, I really don't want to sound too harsh, but there's an alarming number of people that seem to "take care of KORG finances". If you're a KORG customer, this is not your problem. Your "problem" is - getting a product, as advertised (not the strongest of KORG's habits in the past five or so years), that's functionally and in every-possible-way the same as the product somebody else bought or will buy. Please, people, stop dragging economics into this as it's beyond anything that could be considered as a "reason" for a CUSTOMER to show any kind of understanding to.

i don't care about Korg economics, i've tried to get my kronos repaired since september and getting the problem acknowledged, the remarks online, the lack of support and the lack of official information from Korg was a stunning experience.

But if you think about the costs then you know that your wish will never happen.

I'm really positive about the possibilities of the Korg Kronos, that't the only reason that i didn't return this synth. The whole customer support experience was the worst i've ever seen in my life.
keekma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrobinez wrote:
vEddY wrote:

1% is a number that KORG mentioned in a semi-PR release, weeks or months after the problem was widely known, and it took them months to announce a cure to a problem.

Sorry to put it this way, but considering the fact that we've had a nuber of complaints about this on the forum - and some users even had experiences with 3-4 Kronoses suffering from the same issue - this seems a bit unlikely to me. And it wasn't a "few actually have problems". Forum is filled with these reports.

I'm not saying that you are wrong with your statements, i've tried 5 kronusses and on all 5 i could reproduce the double strike problem. So in my opinion it's also not 1 percent.

But when someone doesn't experience the problem it simply doesn't make sense to replace the keyboard out of cost perspective. Maybe that's not fair, but it wasn't fair either how we as complainers were treated by all the korg fan boys over here that shouted that there was no general problem and now suddenly everyone want's their faultless keyboard replaced.

Of course the keyboard should be replaced when someone have problems with it. If a demonstration of the problem entitles someone to get his / her keyboard replaced that's fine by me. It's very easy to reproduce the problem when playing (i could reproduce it on every keyboard i've tried)

+1
Just read the first 50 pages of this topic.

Former keyboards:
Yamaha s90es, Virus TI snow, Roland xp30, Roland u20, Roland juno 6
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrobinez wrote:

Agreed in theory but... What's important to me is that companies should be called for their screwups. This isn't something that users have done, KORG screwed up, one way or the other. I believe everyone should have understanding for the fact that they made a mistake, which I also believe everyone did. I can't believe the restraint that KRONOS owners showed in the past six or so months. What I don't think people should have understanding for is their mishandling of the problem, since day one.

Quote:

i don't care about Korg economics, i've tried to get my kronos repaired since september and getting the problem acknowledged, the remarks online, the lack of support and the lack of official information from Korg was a stunning experience. But if you think about the costs then you know that your wish will never happen.
I'm really positive about the possibilities of the Korg Kronos, that't the only reason that i didn't return this synth. The whole customer support experience was the worst i've ever seen in my life.

I don't have KRONOS, but I have OASYS and a gazillion other KORG products varying from Trinitys, Triton, Z1, KLC software, D16 digital recorder, controllers, God knows what else, my storage space is filled with their stuff. So I do know what you mean about possibilities. And I also like their products, otherwise I would've never have worked for a KORG distributor, because that's the way I am. I can't support things I don't believe in. And honestly, I've repaired dozens and dozens of their products since 2002 when I started working for my friend. But those were mostly smaller things like crazy cable placement which caused cable to break, cable beneath a joystick that broke, broken keys, faulty memory and add-on cards, etc etc. Those kind of mistakes are more then ok. KORG's products are good, but they're cutting corners way too much since Trinity/Triton days, and I had a distinct displeasure of watching it happen under my own bare hands. Now, as someone who worked with their products, as a journalist who revieved their products and as a musician using their products a lot, I want that to stop. It's killing all of their image and soon there will be nothing left of it.

Example: I should've had a meeting with two potential KRONOS owners and one forum member yday, all of which were cancelled because we have a huge snowstorm here in Croatia and people wanted to stay at home. I will meet all of these people next week. One wants me to teach him how to use it for a three-to-six month period if he buys it. What should I tell those people? And believe me, there will be more in the future, as in the past two years I've been geting increasing amount of calls and emails from my whole region.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.

Last edited by vEddY on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:03 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
It's killing all of their image and soon there will be nothing left of it.

QFT.
trshade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read this forum from the beginning and this is my first post ever.

As the owner of a 73 with a serial # below 900 who does not seem to have the problem (at least now) ,I do think Korg could approach the repairs in a slightly different manner.

Honestly I do not want my keyboard fixed if it isn't broken. On the other hand a $3,000 plus keyboard is an investment that should be good for more than 2 years (the warranty period).

Quite simply Korg should identify keyboards that might have the problem by serial # and agree to fix the keyboard issue for up to 5 years if it becomes a problem. That would seem to be a reasonible approach. if the instrument was abused in usage Korg would not be responsible for this.

This is a great instrument, its legacy should not be overshadowed by an issue that can be handled more appropriately than it has been done to date.

This would also be an incentive to would be buyers to show that Korg is the kind of company one can trust when investing in their products.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trshade wrote:
I have read this forum from the beginning and this is my first post ever.

As the owner of a 73 with a serial # below 900 who does not seem to have the problem (at least now) ,I do think Korg could approach the repairs in a slightly different manner.

Honestly I do not want my keyboard fixed if it isn't broken. On the other hand a $3,000 plus keyboard is an investment that should be good for more than 2 years (the warranty period).

Quite simply Korg should identify keyboards that might have the problem by serial # and agree to fix the keyboard issue for up to 5 years if it becomes a problem. That would seem to be a reasonible approach. if the instrument was abused in usage Korg would not be responsible for this.

This is a great instrument, its legacy should not be overshadowed by an issue that can be handled more appropriately than it has been done to date.

This would also be an incentive to would be buyers to show that Korg is the kind of company one can trust when investing in their products.

You, sir, and many others like you are the primary reason why I decided to add my opinion to this thread. Except general concern about practices like this and a wealth of experience in watching things like this happen.

Your suggestion and mine seem to be in accordance. I want you guys to have a standing offer to change your keybeds if and when you want, without any preconditions. If you don't want to change it, cool. But you should have the option, no matter if the keybed starts double triggering or not. That wouldn't cover cases where keys were broken, on fire, under water or anything like it of course. But bar these things, you should have that option.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Itarka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you Veddy, but that doesn't make any difference, someone from KORG should read this too. At least they can change the warranty of the old keybeds to 5 year (or even longer). If they would do this, they would show their customers that they are pretty sure the other keyboards will not break (otherwise this measure would cost too much).
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itarka wrote:
I totally agree with you Veddy, but that doesn't make any difference, someone from KORG should read this too. At least they can change the warranty of the old keybeds to 5 year (or even longer). If they would do this, they would show their customers that they are pretty sure the other keyboards will not break (otherwise this measure would cost too much).

I do have an idea about that. Its pretty agressive and a bit overboard, but I do have an idea. Just wanted to see how Kronos owners feel about this.
Itarka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it isn't too agressive, I fully support you Smile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vEddY"]
qrobinez wrote:

I'm not saying that you are wrong with your statements, i've tried
Agreed in theory but... What's important to me is that companies should be
Quote:

synth. The whole customer support experience was the worst i've ever seen in my life.

I don't have KRONOS, but I have OASYS and a gazillion other KORG products varying from Trinitys, Triton, Z1, KLC software, D16 digital recorder, controllers, God knows what else, my storage space is filled with their stuff. So I do know what you mean about possibilities. And I also like their products, otherwise I would've never have worked for a KORG distributor, because that's the way I am. I can't support things I don't believe in. And honestly, I've repaired dozens and dozens of their products since 2002 when I started working for my friend. But those were mostly smaller things like crazy cable placement which caused cable to break, cable beneath a joystick that broke, broken keys, faulty memory and add-on cards, etc etc. Those kind of mistakes are more then ok. KORG's products are good, but they're cutting corners way too much since Trinity/Triton days, and I had a distinct displeasure of watching it happen under my own bare hands. Now, as someone who worked with their products, as a journalist who revieved their products and as a musician using their products a lot, I want that to stop. It's killing all of their image and soon there will be nothing
tell those people? And believe me, there will be more in the future, as in the past two years I've been geting increasing amount of calls and emails from my whole region.

Nothing new here. Companies have been cutting corners the past 15 years in an effort to survive. Yes, I know, non korg fan boys, u don' t care about korg economics. Don't expect your keyboard to last 15-20 yrs. those days are gone.

If you haven' t noticed, the high end work station market is fading away. The sales are not there. More korg economics to not care about, non korg fan boys.
I bet the market for gigging keyboardists is shrinking too.

You are lucky to have access to a $3000 state of the art workstation. Roland and Yamaha aren't doing it, they are much larger than korg. Ever wonder why ? They don' t want to take the risk , they are still milking the shrinking market with the 2001 motif or the fantom. If you think Roland or Yamaha is better, that's your ticket. Yes, their motifs can fall off the stage and survive but that is not a criteria for me.

I bet most buyers turn over their boards in 3-5 years. I am like that. So why engineer keyboards to last 20 years ? The 80's and 90's business mentality is pretty much gone. In almost all industries.

I think korg had some bad luck with the rh3. But they are taking care of it.
Sure, it took longer. They didn't expect it or plan for it. Sure , they didn't communicate about the fix fast enough. They had to get organized and get a fix in place on a global basis. That took tremendous man hours and a lot of extra money that was not in the budget. Yes, non korg fan boys, more korg economics you don' t care about. Well, there are business facts of life to be dealt with and some need to learn about them, or practice the virtue of patience when unplanned accidents happen.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg took care of the problem, that's the bottom line. They allocated tremendous amounts of money and man-hours to find the problem, develop a solution, and implement the solution globally. Whether you like "how" they communicated or didn't communicate with customers, the bottom line is still the fact that they took care of it. As far as I'm concerned, action speaks louder than words, and in Korg's case they've proven that to be true.

There's other companies out there who wouldn't have done anything! Example: Zoom's R series of multitrack recorders (R16 and R24) are great for recording audio, but when you try to sync it with video, it always gets out of sync, by as much as a few seconds per hour! That's unacceptable. Owners have complained about it for years, Zoom acknowledged there's a problem, blamed it on a crystal/oscillator that's in there, and has no plans of fixing it. Maybe their newer units have addressed the problem, but for those using the older, faulty units, are just plain out of luck.

So while the problem with the Kronos was happening, prior to the fix, I was very upset as mine had the problem so bad I couldn't even play it (it just killed the entire creative process).

But since Korg has implemented the solution.... and I was surprised to have gotten mine fixed and back in my studio in just 10 days, I must say that I'm quite impressed. I own other Korg products too (and also had a Triton Pro/X for 11 years prior to the Kronos), and the way Korg handled the problem with the Kronos has restored my faith in Korg. Sure, they could have communicated a bit better with their customers, but then again, this forum is not a "Korg" forum... its a forum for Korg "users", not Korg personnel.

To summarize, Korg researched the problem, came up with a costly solution/fix (they didn't take the cheap or easy way out by coming up with a software fix to "work around" the problem), and everyone is happy (except for Korg's financial loss with this problem). I for one will continue to be a loyal Korg customer.

BTW: One of the Korg guys at NAMM was mentioning that 2011 was an extremely bad year for Korg because of the tsunami that happened earlier that year. It changed a lot of things around (suppliers, parts, etc), which I'm sure probably had a lot to do with contributing to this problem.

My message to Korg for all their efforts in resolving this problem: "Thank you!".
Kim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="GregC"]
vEddY wrote:
qrobinez wrote:

Quote:

synth. The whole customer support experience was the worst i've ever seen in my life.

I don't have KRONOS, but I have OASYS and a gazillion other KORG products varying from Trinitys, Triton, Z1, KLC software, D16 digital recorder, controllers, God knows what else, my storage space is filled with their stuff. So I do know what you mean about possibilities. And I also like their products, otherwise I would've never have worked for a KORG distributor, because that's the way I am. I can't support things I don't believe in. And honestly, I've repaired dozens and dozens of their products since 2002 when I started working for my friend. But those were mostly smaller things like crazy cable placement which caused cable to break, cable beneath a joystick that broke, broken keys, faulty memory and add-on cards, etc etc. Those kind of mistakes are more then ok. KORG's products are good, but they're cutting corners way too much since Trinity/Triton days, and I had a distinct displeasure of watching it happen under my own bare hands. Now, as someone who worked with their products, as a journalist who revieved their products and as a musician using their products a lot, I want that to stop. It's killing all of their image and soon there will be nothing
tell those people? And believe me, there will be more in the future, as in the past two years I've been geting increasing amount of calls and emails from my whole region.

Nothing new here. Companies have been cutting corners the past 15 years in an effort to survive. Yes, I know, non korg fan boys, u don' t care about korg economics. Don't expect your keyboard to last 15-20 yrs. those days are gone.

If you haven' t noticed, the high end work station market is fading away. The sales are not there. More korg economics to not care about, non korg fan boys.

You are lucky to have access to a $3000 state of the art workstation. Roland and Yamaha aren't doing it, they are much larger than korg. Ever wonder why ? They don' t want to take the risk , they are still milking the shrinking market with the 2001 motif or the fantom. If you think Roland or Yamaha is better, that's your ticket. Yes, their motifs can fall off the stage and survive but that is not a criteria for me.

I bet most buyers turn over their boards in 3-5 years. I am like that. So why engineer keyboards to last 20 years ? The 80's and 90's business mentality is pretty much gone. In almost all industries.

Sure, it took longer. They didn't expect it or plan for it. Sure , they didn't communicate about the fix fast enough. They had to get organized and get a fix in place on a global basis. That took tremendous man hours and a lot of extra money that was not in the budget. Yes, non korg fan boys, more korg economics you don' t care about. Well, there are business facts of life to be dealt with and some need to learn about them, or practice the virtue of patience when unplanned accidents happen.

You dare to claim that this is business as usual? That planned obsolescence should take place in not only in consumer products, but in professional eauipment as well? Many people have their life at stake in music, so you really can't claim that this is something people should just accept. Just from the resource wasting point of view, planned obsolescence is one of world's greatest cancers and should be cured, not accepted.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bothers me m ore then Korg is the mentality that it is ok to have a board for three years and expect no more. I can say this last year and this forum has Totaly changed the way I think of keyboards, to the point I don't think I will ever invest in a workstation no matter how incredible it is. My kimball lasted 30 years plus, yes tech changes and part become obsolete but I do expect at least 10 years of support. I am thinking I will just buy a good old grand piano.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kim"]
GregC wrote:
vEddY wrote:
qrobinez wrote:

Quote:

You dare to claim that this is business as usual? That planned obsolescence should take place in not only in consumer products, but in professional eauipment as well? Many people have their life at stake in music, so you really can't claim that this is something people should just accept. Just from the resource wasting point of view, planned obsolescence is one of world's greatest cancers and should be cured, not accepted.

I don't have to make a claim. Look at the evidence and the experience of folks.

Their life at stake in music ? Whose life is at stake ? This is not clear.

And part production has been outsourced to China and other Asian countries for a few decades . What do you think is inside the Kronos ?

Have you noticed that cars have painted plastic bumpers ? Is a BMW made of metal ? The examples of cheaper production, lighter materials, etc, etc, are obvious in every electronic device, in every industry, including pro.

I don't think anyone should lose sleep over planned obsolescence. That ship has sailed long ago, especially in the electronics industry.

enjoy your Kronos. It is a superb workstation. But newer technology will be available and affordable next year, certainly in 3 years. And I hope Korg can afford to implement that in a new model.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
What bothers me m ore then Korg is the mentality that it is ok to have a board for three years and expect no more. I can say this last year and this forum has Totaly changed the way I think of keyboards, to the point I don't think I will ever invest in a workstation no matter how incredible it is. My kimball lasted 30 years plus, yes tech changes and part become obsolete but I do expect at least 10 years of support. I am thinking I will just buy a good old grand piano.

I can understand your thinking... but know that my Korg Triton Pro/X lasted me 11 years and it never broke down... and I sold it to a gigging musician last year, so now its at 12+ years and still going strong! My Yamaha keyboard lasted 10 years before I sold it, and it too, is still going strong! In fact, every keyboard I've ever had has been great and has lasted for years. They were all sold and still going strong at the time of sale. I basically have all new keyboards now (the Kronos 88 and a Nord Stage 2, and a 2 year old Casio Privia PX-330), and fully expect that each will last at least 10 years. I also have a real piano - a Baldwin baby grand piano which keeps needing work. First of all, if you're serious about getting a "good old grand piano", its going to be in need of tuning at least 2x/year. I just had my piano tuned a few months ago and its in need of another tuning right now! It also had a problem with the damper pedal that was fixed about 3x and needs to be fixed yet again!

With a real baby grand piano and three 88-key digital pianos/workstations, I can tell you that my real piano hardly gets used. I'd rather play one of my digital keyboards/workstations any day over the real thing. And from a pianist perspective, the Nord gives me all kinds of authentic sounding pianos from Concert and Studio grands, to uprights and consoles, along with the ability to shape and fine tune the sound of each! Same story with the Kronos but with less piano selections. None of them will ever need tuning, strings will never break, problems with dampers will never happen. And with each of my keyboards, I have a lot more available to me than just pianos. I can be soooo much more creative on any of my keyboards than I can with the real piano.

My two cents based on my personal experiences since I've had digital keyboards/workstations (since the 90's).
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 108 of 110

Jump to: