Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS Fan Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maphill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, please look back at the first few posts and you should see a lot of pictures and one way to replace the fan.

More information coming later this week.

Mark
aribo61

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm the guy who disconnected his fan...

First, I think this thread had to be opened. The other thread is more about opinions, which is also implied by it's title.
This one is (=should be) about FACTS.
The other one is to decide if you have a unit to be returned or if you have to live with the level of fan noise. This one is to help you, if you decide to change something.

I want to make this clear:
I disconnected the fan to try if the heat would be tolerable.
After the test and comparing it to the Korg arrangement, I think the fan is in general necessary. This is for world wide usage in all those climate conditions and for playing on stage with heat from the Lights etc.
If you use the Kronos in a home studio and you can guaranty a certain temperature range, it might eventually be operated completely without a fan.
But at least you risk a shorter life of the motherboard and may be also other parts.

I took that risk for the test reasoning the motherboard is a standard one and could probably be replaced by something similar (another Atom board with equal or better specs). I took into account, that many parts of the motherboard are unused (no network, no monitor output, etc. only SATA and one USB port). So a replacement would probably not break any feature, as long as the CPU and probably the chipset remains the same.

I did the test, because
1. I didn't want to give it away anymore Smile
2. I really want a really quiet environment
3. I do some silencing with many of my devices (e.g. computers)

I would not say I'm overly sensitive, but I generally don't like noise which is not necessary.
You always have two possibilities to get lucky: either you accept what's going on, or you change it.
So at the end it's worth the risk (for me).
aribo61

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now back to the facts:

as I wrote in the other thread, I'm now convinced, that the fan may be necessary on the long term and operation at this speed level was chosen for some reason. I think everyone has to choose his balance between acceptable noise and the risk he is willing to take.

some facts from my last investigation:

When switching on the Kronos, the fan starts with 12V for a short time (fast), then goes down to 5.5V (slow and quiet) and after some boot phase it's operated at 9V (medium).
For me it seems to stay there. I never could hear any frequency change of the fan whether I stressed the CPU or let it idle.

My fan sounds very similar in fast and medium speed.

I got best results with the standard fan by decoupling it's vibration from the metal sheets by using a swinging construction built from cable ties.

Photo

For more silence with the standard fan you would need to change the voltage of the fan, e.g one can connect it between 5V and 12V to get a 7V operating voltage. Then my fan is nearly unnoticeable. But I also found that the cooling is suboptimal then, so the area around the I-G / U-G and sample buttons get warm which indicates a hot spot below them (which is the heat spreader of the motherboard).
The original cooling keeps this area cool, so this is a good check if the cooling works (you need to wait an hour).

So, as a conclusion if combining a better fan with the decoupling and eventually reducing the speed should provide us a good level of silence.

And I think, testing the combination is mandatory.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be afraid to use a cable-tie suspension thing for serious gigging. Are you happy for now or are you planning to try the suggested acoustifan (or alternative)?
aribo61

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more thing:

especially in this case a well designed air flow would eventually help alot.

How it is designed here, the fan probably doesn't get it's air input from the hot area alone but for some part also from cooler areas. It may even get some of it's own output (which is called short circuit).

If we would prevent such short circuits, we should get a much better result.

I speculate the fan being originally designed for two harddisks or a harddisk and a ssd. I assume they simply left it in place lacking a better solution. May be at the end of the development process they noticed that some cooling of the motherboard is necessary and they couldn't change the whole construction.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the photos!
aribo61

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I would be afraid to use a cable-tie suspension thing for serious gigging.

I think this construction should be shock resistant as it is elastic, but not too much.
You can choose to make it more tight (with louder results) or more soft (better decoupling but not as shock resistant). To be shock restistant, I wouldn't use the cable from the PSU as I did, but a hole in the PSU heat spreader (where that cable is fixed, you would need a longer cable tie though).
With cable ties I'm sure you will be more secure than with some rubber, which will surely perish(right word?) over time. Note those fans and the accessories sold with or for them are designed for computers which never get such a rude treatment.
For good shock resistance I would use good cable ties though, not those cheap china products from the super store.
If you don't trust those cable ties, you could also use some kind of wires, but you have to construct it in a way that the construction keeps elastic. The trick is to have a good geometry to get a good relation of force vs. deflection for a good damping (of noise and mechanical force, which is largely similar), and there should be a maximum deflection in all directions, so that the fan cannot directly touch the bottom cover or other parts. Cable ties are elastic and durable, so you get such a force function for cheap. If you use some wire it should probably be made of steel, or perhaps you could even use springs.

SanderXpander wrote:
Are you happy for now or are you planning to try the suggested acoustifan (or alternative)?

The cable tie thing should probably be fine for most people, at least for those who don't have received an exceptionally loud Kronos fan.

But I will definitely try more, as I want to have a *very* quiet Kronos.
But I don't know how much spare time comes along, as I have a job and a demanding family Smile

I will probably buy a replacement fan, but currently don't know which model (balancing availability, size, speed, design of the fan blades, cost, etc.).

Next I would probably try to guide the air flow in some way. There should be a clear circular air flow through the case including the motherboard heat spreader at one end.

I'm thinking of building a tunnel along the free side of the PSU. The fan should be placed inside it (probably at one end) and it should fill the tunnel completely, to prevent a short circuit in air flow. But how to decouple it? some kind of wool comes to mind...(hello madbeatzyo111 Smile)

It would be best to extend the tunnel at least to the middle of the left side of the Kronos (problem: how to get around the SSD holder). Perhaps I could use a kind of flexible hose for the tunnel. Then I would probably need a round fan. The sound produced inside a tube (organ pipe Smile) should also be considered.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is here no external venting? Small holes or sLots at either end anywhere? How about a small vent in either end piece drilled in maybe?
panrixx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the venting is via the control slider slots.
NavidSyed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:
I believe the venting is via the control slider slots.

Yes, and possibly from the key spacing as well...
aribo61

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...next step...

I wrapped the standard fan in a coil of bubble film and forced it into the tunnel between PSU and back plane. Then I applied 7V to the fan.

This way the cooling is much much better than with the same voltage and the fan mounted to the SSD.

The noise is still noticable but it's now a lowpassed swoosh(?) instead of some tonal noise. It's about half as loud as my laptop. The cable tie solution is less noisier at 7V but doesn't cool well at that voltage.

I also ordered this fan:

http://www.noiseblocker.de/en/BlackSilent60.php (the XR2 model)

which has similar specs as the Acoustifan, but is developed in Germany.
This one has good critics at amazon.de etc. and costs less than half of the Acoustifan.

Some of these features made the point for me:
Quote:

High-quality, stable, glass fibre-reinforced chassis in a classic design with anti-dust polycarbonate rotor.
Extra-long connection cable.
Incl. 4 screws for mounting.
Extremely low start voltage!
Low impulse noise NB-EKAPlus II wide-range drive.

Maximum Reliability:

Reverse pole and overload protection, restart function, extremely failsafe.
Extremely quiet bearings.

Highest Quality:

Scope of delivery: retail packs including 4 screws.
3-year guarantee.

let's see how it works...
maphill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aribo61 wrote:
...next step...

I wrapped the standard fan in a coil of bubble film and forced it into the tunnel between PSU and back plane. Then I applied 7V to the fan.

I'm not sure I'm visualizing this. Do you have a picture?

Thanks,
Mark
panrixx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maphill wrote:

Thanks,
Mark
Yes, I'm also having a problem understanding this arrangement.
aribo61

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maphill wrote:

LOL, I guess, I had some problems to get the words right?

look here:

wrapped fan

(note that it's only a test design Smile)
NavidSyed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bubble wrap? I personally think it would be a bad idea Embarassed , and how did you connect the fan to this new location? Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: