Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS Fan Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly today was the first time I have had a chance to fire the Kronos up in two weeks. I travel a lot for work. Anyway now my fan is louder them my old or new Mac book pro. As loud or louder then a couple QSC K10 speakers turned on and sitting in my room. Irritating and now I do t have the money to spend on shipping. So I will live with it, for now. I should have waited for the prophet 12. As cool as this board is now I have issues I was hopeful to avoid. I am disappointed to say the least. I do know I can rectify it it but won't void my warranty.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely if it is a warranty problem Korg should pay for shipping?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will see. I had decided to return it but sweetwater won't accept a return without original packaging and my wife decided to throw all that out while I was on the road so now I am stuck. And Pissed. Truly I dont think going through Korg will help anything, I'm not convinced it does anything but waste time counting on their replacement fan since it will be the same fan that is in my x61. I don't want to good my warranty but Inwas going to make some wood ends to replace the plastic ones so I might just peek at it to see if anything came ajar.

I might be overreacting a bit but Inwent from virtually silent to being able to hear it when I walk into the room, and that irritates me to no end. For now I will to us on the good qualities and use headphones, which also irritates me because it reminds me I have to wear them be ause of the fan noise and not because I want to. I need to go back through this thread now and see how and what has been done to fix this with the best track record of success.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news a korg repair facility is just 14 miles from me. I just might give them a chance. I'm a tech and I have a tech friend who works there. We will see.

edit to add. I dropped it off and it could be up to a couple weeks. We discussed this and I can come get it when I want if I get disgusted with the wait.

I had been wondering how a big online reseller could tell me they hadn't had any fan issues with Kronos and only one keybed issue ever returned for work. Now I know. They found me the local shop. They apparently always suggest a local service center that way we as consumers don't have to pay shipping and they as the seller don't have to fight over who is going to pay for shipping. I imagine a lot of issues never get back to these guys simply for that reason.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retailer offered to pay shipping and replace it with a new unit. They think since there is no service bulletin that that is the best route. I don't mind getting it fixed. What do you all think?
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced is good.

You have a tech friend who works at a Korg center and you were worried?

Hope it works for you.

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New board arrived was actually a bit louder. My original is x61 sn 101xxx range the replacement was x61 sn 100xxx range.

Now I give up I will fix it myself. Does anyone have any problems with the Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX (60x25mm Premium Fan) http://www.nonctua.at mentioned a page or two back? I think I will find one of these and put it in. Maybe make my wood ends while I am at it. Thanks Bertotti
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent mine back to have its fan replaced and they replaced it with an even nosier one so you may have the right idea!
Petro

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
New board arrived was actually a bit louder. My original is x61 sn 101xxx range the replacement was x61 sn 100xxx range.

Now I give up I will fix it myself. Does anyone have any problems with the Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX (60x25mm Premium Fan) http://www.nonctua.at mentioned a page or two back? I think I will find one of these and put it in. Maybe make my wood ends while I am at it. Thanks Bertotti

I just finished replacing the original with that Noctua NF-A6x25 advised above on my X73.
Great result! It is quiet, almost absolutely! The wonderfull trick of the Noctua - it won't sound louder when you connect it by any part to the synth body or its place.
The original X-Fan is also quiet while you hold it in air, but as soon as you just touch it to any surface it will start resonating.
I used all 3 original screws for the new fan and place the old one near by duck tape.

The Noctua provides two lower speed adapters (pieces of connectors), I used the faster one (RC-10 2400 rpm) as the closest to the original.
Honestly, I am personally sure it's safe to use Kronos' SSD with even lower speed fan... or even without any...
Paragonista

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Congratulations! Reply with quote

Petro wrote:
Bertotti wrote:

I just finished replacing the original with that Noctua NF-A6x25 advised above on my X73.
Great result! It is quiet, almost absolutely! The wonderfull trick of the Noctua - it won't sound louder when you connect it by any part to the synth body or its place.
The original X-Fan is also quiet while you hold it in air, but as soon as you just touch it to any surface it will start resonating.
I used all 3 original screws for the new fan and place the old one near by duck tape.

The Noctua provides two lower speed adapters (pieces of connectors), I used the faster one (RC-10 2400 rpm) as the closest to the original.
Honestly, I am personally sure it's safe to use Kronos' SSD with even lower speed fan... or even without any...

Nice to hear. It already seemed to me that it can be done by yourself judging the internal foto's I saw from the Kronos inside. Mine is still working noiseless after some months and almost daily use (fixed by a Korg-guy from The Netherlands) and the Noctua I bought I will keep as a remembrance Smile
Maybe I built it in the PlayOn Mediaplayer.... Noisy device!
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petro wrote:

As has been said earlier in this thread: the fan is NOT there to cool the SSD, but to move air around inside the Kronos.
Petro

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was sarkasm Smile I knew.. But, I have tried to search the airflow inside while the K. was open with my hand, the hottest place is the furthest from the sucking side. Why did they put it so far?
So I wonder what the use of the fan, it barely sucks really Smile
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petro wrote:
This was sarkasm Smile I knew.. But, I have tried to search the airflow inside while the K. was open with my hand, the hottest place is the furthest from the sucking side. Why did they put it so far?
So I wonder what the use of the fan, it barely sucks really Smile

Ah sarcasm! Sometimes difficult to spot in a text. Smile

Anyway, it is quite possible that the fan was an afterthought from the engineers, being put there too late in the design process.
Petro

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curvebender Yeh, exactly what I thought,
Japaneses are very pedantical in engeneering, I know from my own experience. It comes as good for reliability though...
That strange place obviously hints - it was designed initially to airflow throughout ALL the body, but the hottest/most important spot were there then, on HDD.
So maybe the fan placed there is just an archaism. If someone has arguments against that "human body hair coat" theory, please welcome, isnt it an interesting subject to discuss. Question
... BTW What happened if we just reverse the fan to push, and not to suck? won't it be more effective?
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the fan is there to cool the power supply, not the SSD or processor, and is fairly essential.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 20 of 24

Jump to: