Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS Fan Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivePsy wrote:
Synthee wrote:
Maybe it its the motherboard that start the fan only when the temperature is high enough when using the Low Noise Adapter, I don't know?

Just a thought, is the room cold where you are doing this? Does the fan actually stop if there's no need to cool anything?

B

Normal 20 degrees Celsius in the room.
But its strange that with both Ultra low noise adapter and the cable for full speed the fan doesn't stop.
Only with the LNA cable??
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the fan should run all the time, mine does anyway.

I'm thinking of changing mine I must admit.

I had a friend around at the weekend and the Kronos was on, he looked around the room and said "What's making that bloody awful noise?"
lunde

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Just changes the fan Reply with quote

Just have the fan changed in my Kronos X88 through my dealers repair shop. Now the keyboard is completely silent! What a relief.
I can really recommend that to anyone who cares about fan noise from their Kronos.
Used a SilenX 60 mm 14 CFM (Cubic Feet Minute air volume) fan mounted with rubber bearings/screws. I know it's 1 CFM less the specified for the original fan and there is no longer guarantee on the fan. But gladly took the risk.
audiopro69

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got my K73 over the weekend Serial#2651 and I can hear the fan at power on, it ramps up pretty loud but then it is whisper quiet unlike the first K61 i had ordered that had multiple issues on being that the fan sounded like a weed wacker the whole time.

I am in a studio setting where my production/control room is pretty darn quiet and the kronos doesn't bother me at least for now... Sounds Good
Stylus RMX/Trillian/Omnisphere
EW Orchestra and Choirs
NI Komplete 7
Mackie D8B, Apogee Big Ben, RME RAYDAT cards, API Lunchbox with API and Neve Pre's
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Just changes the fan Reply with quote

lunde wrote:
Just have the fan changed in my Kronos X88 through my dealers repair shop. Now the keyboard is completely silent! What a relief.
I can really recommend that to anyone who cares about fan noise from their Kronos.
Used a SilenX 60 mm 14 CFM (Cubic Feet Minute air volume) fan mounted with rubber bearings/screws. I know it's 1 CFM less the specified for the original fan and there is no longer guarantee on the fan. But gladly took the risk.

I wouldn't recommend the SilenX fans; look back at the earlier posts in this thread, and you'll see that the SilenX fans were quiet because they didn't move very much air (they had something like 1/5 of their specified airflow). Several of us tried them, but then switched to the NoiseBlocker NB-BlackSilentFan, which really has essentially the same airflow as the stock fan (i.e. it meets its specs), and while maybe a little louder than the SilenX, the NoiseBlocker is much quieter than the stock fan. That was back in Nov. 2011; I think that other quiet fans have been identified since then. Spend an hour or two reading this whole thread before selecting a fan...

df
LivePsy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthee wrote:
When i try the LNA cable the fan starts a little and then stops. And it doesent start again.
I even went back to the store to change it if it was something wrong with it, but the new one act the same.

Is it controlled by the motherboard to start at a certain temperature?
With no low noise adapter cable it starts directly, and even with ULNA it starts directly.
I cant take a chance with a fan that stand still so I will assemble the Kronos without low noise adapter and see what I think about the noise from the fan.

I just installed a Noctua in my K61. Yes the fan starts and stops exactly as you describe except for me it was the ULNA. I am using the LNA and its a whole 10dB quieter than factory fan. Was 45 dB now 35db with iPhone SPL Meter app over the master .

Using no LNA was exactly the same noise level as a Korg fan...

Hope it doesn't overheat in summer (its Spring here in southern hemisphere), I'll be a little scared in the first warm days. But already I like the Kronos more. That fan and whine was evil Evil or Very Mad

B
lunde

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Just changes the fan Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
lunde wrote:

I wouldn't recommend the SilenX fans; look back at the earlier posts in this thread, and you'll see that the SilenX fans were quiet because they didn't move very much air (they had something like 1/5 of their specified airflow). Several of us tried them, but then switched to the NoiseBlocker NB-BlackSilentFan, which really has essentially the same airflow as the stock fan (i.e. it meets its specs), and while maybe a little louder than the SilenX, the NoiseBlocker is much quieter than the stock fan. That was back in Nov. 2011; I think that other quiet fans have been identified since then. Spend an hour or two reading this whole thread before selecting a fan...

df

Think it depends on which one from SilenX. The native X-fan moves 15 CFM and the SilenX I have mounted moves 14 CFM so it's pretty much the same. But I know I took a chance. So far there are no problems with the Kronos, even feels colder than before. One of the problems I had was that even that Korg states that the fan is temperature controlled the X-fan ran on full speed right from start up.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Just changes the fan Reply with quote

lunde wrote:
Think it depends on which one from SilenX. The native X-fan moves 15 CFM and the SilenX I have mounted moves 14 CFM so it's pretty much the same.

I tried two different SilenX iXtrema PRO series fans: the IXP-34-12 (rated at 14CFM, 12dBA) and the IXP-34-16 (18CFM, 16dBA). Although both were much quieter that the stock fan, neither seemed to be moving as much air - they weren't meeting their specs, at least when installed in the KRONOS. This was confirmed by aribo61's tests; see earlier posts in this thread. So I installed a NoiseBlocker BlackSilentFan BSF-XR2 (14.1CFM, 15dBA) and while it was maybe a little louder than the Silenx fans, it was still much quieter that the stock fan, with about the same airflow (i.e., it was meeting its spec). I've installed Noiseblockers in three KRONOS with the same result. (No "low noise adapters" were used in any of these installations.)

Several people have reported running their KRONOS without a fan installed for some period of time (up to several weeks, I think) without any trouble, so the actual internal airflow is probably not critical. But since you never know when you're going to have to play an outdoor gig in July, I decided that a quiet fan that moves as much air as the stock fan was worth having...and we're talking here about a component that costs $10 - $12, anyway...

df
phil55

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my fan with a Noctua fan with a LNA resitor. There's still some sound but quieter than a stand alone hard drive recorder (Korg D3200).

The tech that replaced it suggests in the rare event a Kronos overheats the first thing that'll go will be the hard drive and someone else suggested that it would be the motherboard and both are easily replaceable. Not sure what this would do to the OS.

There is a template in the heat shield for a vent. I wonder why the Kronos designers didn't use it.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I switched the Kronos on this morning… dreadful noise from the fan!

It's been great for the past 2 years, absolutely no problems with the Kronos at all.

I'm just glad this thread exists… at least I know what replacement to go for.
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!

Is this one the right spec?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NoiseBlocker-Case-Fan-NB-BlackSilentFan-Version/dp/B002DFZQE0/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389621647&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=NoiseBlocker+BlackSilentFan+BSF-XR2+%2814.1CFM%2C+15dBA#productDetails
phil55

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:
Hi all!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NoiseBlocker-Case-Fan-NB-BlackSilentFan-Version/dp/B002DFZQE0/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389621647&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=NoiseBlocker+BlackSilentFan+BSF-XR2+%2814.1CFM%2C+15dBA#productDetails

Can't say. This is the one that was recommended to me.

Noctua A-Series NF-A6x25 60mm Blades with AAO Frame, SSO2 Bearing Premium Fan

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608032&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

used with the LNA resistor
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil55 wrote:
PCFREE wrote:
Hi all!

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608032&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Thankyou
phil55

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:
phil55 wrote:
PCFREE wrote:
Hi all!

Thankyou

If you do this operation. would you be so kind as post your impressions of the fix and update us, please…

Thanks
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:
Hi all!

I've installed this NoiseBlocker fan in three KRONOS and it works perfectly, has about the same airflow as the stock fan, and is much quieter...I think it's the best and safest choice for a low noise fan to install in the KRONOS - there are a few (like SilenX) that are maybe a little quieter, but they don't meet their specs - they don't move enough air...

df
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: