Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS Fan Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
htieksppircs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Kronos Fan Noise and boot up time. Reply with quote

I have to say I have a love/hate relationship with this thing. I have a one room studio: no isolated control room. If I have open mics in the room They pick up the Kronos fan noise so I have to turn it off. Then someone at the session asks about the chord progression or the melody so I have to turn it on and wait the two or three minutes for it boot up, then say "No that's supposed to be a B min 7 chord in measure twelve" and then turn it back off again. it's ridiculous! I'm sure in a studio with a control room where you can isolate the keyboard, or on a live stage it's no problem. But in a single room studio, which many of us have nowadays, it's a nightmare.
When I hear these stories about, people getting the fan replaced under warranty by Korg, and then have the new one be louder than before I find it very discouraging. Korg needs to own up to this problem for the people who are bothered by it and engineer a real fix. I'm sure most people are not bugged by the fan noise at all, but for those of us who are annoyed by it, this attitude from Korg of "Well most people aren't complaining. Not my problem," really sucks!
Synthee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im normally a Kronos fan, but the fan noise in my Kronos 88 is starting do drive me crazy.
Its even much higher than the noise from the high performance PC with seven fans inside, standing next to me.
And now I must to do something about it.
One solution is to sell Kronos and buy a Yamaha Motif XF8.
But then I will miss all the good sounds I like in Kronos.
So maybe I try to switch fan instead.

I read the threads here and the Noctua fan seems to be the best to switch to.
But when i check with my supplier here in Sweden they also have another chassi-fan with slightly better values in both sound and cfm, Fractal Design 60mm Silent Series R2.
Here you can compare the two. I think you understand though it is in Swedish.
http://www.inet.se/jamfor?compare=6300078&compare=6308796
Its even cheaper but the price doesn't matter.

So what do you think about taking the Fractal fan instead?

Edit: Now I saw that Noctua fan with LNA cable is more silence with 14,5 dB(A).
So it will be a Noctua fan for me.
NavidSyed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest with what matters the most is how the fan is connected to the hard drive assembly, because vibration of the fan attached to the metal is the cause of noise if you can use rubber screws/ attachment

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Anti%252dVibration-Rubber-Blue-Fan-Screws-(4-Pack).html?gclid=CIaxqMC4-7kCFSdk7Aod9DAAvw

or something similar it would make a huge difference, at least it did with my old Kronos 61, my new one fan noise is bearable so have not changed it... Very Happy
Synthee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavidSyed wrote:
to be honest with what matters the most is how the fan is connected to the hard drive assembly, because vibration of the fan attached to the metal is the cause of noise if you can use rubber screws/ attachment

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Anti%252dVibration-Rubber-Blue-Fan-Screws-(4-Pack).html?gclid=CIaxqMC4-7kCFSdk7Aod9DAAvw

or something similar it would make a huge difference, at least it did with my old Kronos 61, my new one fan noise is bearable so have not changed it... Very Happy

OK thank you, I will open it up and experiment with the fan holders.
But I think I buy a Noctua also and compare them.
LivePsy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell us if you think the rubber screw mounting is enough, or the fan must be replaced also.

B
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starseed wrote:
Hello,

I would like to see pictures of the mod creating vent holes at the bottom.
I tried the Noctua (have them in my main computer), but using the LNA it got to hot, using it without was to loud. I ended up using the NoiceBlocker, which is louder than the Noctua with LNA but it keeps the Kronos cool.

Regarding what produces the heat: it's the motherboard, which has a passive heatsink, and the power supply, both on the right site. The fan sucks the air from the right site and blows it to the left, where some warm air comes out where the sliders are.
Since there is no entry for cool air, I think even small vent holes may make a difference.

Thanks
~Bastian

Here are some pictures as requested.

[/img]

Synthee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the images miden, It looks really professional done.
I will try to replace my fan tomorrow.
Have you put the hole right above the fan or more to the intake side of it?
Do you think it can be a problem with more dust coming into the synth?
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sits almost directly under the MOBO where the passive heatsink is.

And as it is underneath dust ingress is not a big issue. I ummed and ahhed about using a dust cloth or the open mesh, but I measured far more air flow using the open mesh like I did.

Having it side vented would have seen more dust issues I think. As I wrote, the top of the Kronos only got warm, never hot like it used to before the fan update, and the chassis modification.

Good luck Smile
Synthee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i try the LNA cable the fan starts a little and then stops. And it doesent start again.
I even went back to the store to change it if it was something wrong with it, but the new one act the same.

Is it controlled by the motherboard to start at a certain temperature?
With no low noise adapter cable it starts directly, and even with ULNA it starts directly.
I cant take a chance with a fan that stand still so I will assemble the Kronos without low noise adapter and see what I think about the noise from the fan.
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Miden. Smile Smile
studio-kiel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to change my Fan also. Its so annoying...
Synthee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have replaced the old fan with a new Noctua.
It wasn't so easy as I first believed, because its narrow in there.
So it took some Blood, Sweat and...almost Tears when I cut my thumb on the sharp edges. Wink
I will show some pictures here how I did it.

As I said above I didn't connect the Low Noise Adapter at this stage because the fan stopped spinning with that one???
You guys that have used the LNA cable did your fan spin all the time?

With the old fan I had a problem that the sound was changing in low frequencies in a very annoying way. When I opened up the Kronos I saw that the old fan had some dust on the edges, but I don't think that was what caused the sound.
I think its the sleeve bearing that getting old.
Unfortunately Korg didn't choose the ball-bearing model of this fan.
And the fan was mounted with only three screws, one was missing?

Old fan with dust and only 3 screws.

First I removed the old fan, and then I wanted to mount the new one with the silicon mounts to minimize vibrations in to chassi.
But to be able to get hem through the bottom holes I had to remove the SSD disk.

Here is the fan in place. Mounting on silicon mounts instead of screwing it in place, makes a big different in noise.

Backside with SSD back ion place.

Overview picture.

So the final result is not that much lower fan-noise because I still have no low noise adapter, the fan is running in full speed, which is good for the cooling of course.
But its much better with a constant even sound from the fan as opposite to before, when the sound was moving around in low frequencies.

But with the Low Noise Adapter atatched it is a much lower noise, so I really appreciate any comments about the fact that the fan stopped running with it.
Maybe it its the motherboard that start the fan only when the temperature is high enough when using the Low Noise Adapter, I don't know?
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update and the photos.

Probably the forum members that have changed their fans will help you further with this....with more information.

I think the fan starts up during boot time and may well vary its speed as needed,but never actually stops running.

Hope your thumb is better now..... Sad
LivePsy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnaks Synthee for the clear pics and description!
LivePsy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthee wrote:
Maybe it its the motherboard that start the fan only when the temperature is high enough when using the Low Noise Adapter, I don't know?

Just a thought, is the room cold where you are doing this? Does the fan actually stop if there's no need to cool anything?

B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 21 of 24

Jump to: