Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS Fan Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
PCFREE wrote:
Hi all!

Is this one the right spec?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NoiseBlocker-Case-Fan-NB-BlackSilentFan-Version/dp/B002DFZQE0/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389621647&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=NoiseBlocker+BlackSilentFan+BSF-XR2+%2814.1CFM%2C+15dBA#productDetails

I've installed this NoiseBlocker fan in three KRONOS and it works perfectly, has about the same airflow as the stock fan, and is much quieter...I think it's the best and safest choice for a low noise fan to install in the KRONOS - there are a few (like SilenX) that are maybe a little quieter, but they don't meet their specs - they don't move enough air...

df

Thankyou
Would I need any other accessory to fit it? Is it easy to install?
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:

It's not that difficult if you're used to working on electronic / computer assemblies - if you haven't done this kind of work before, you should get a computer or keyboard technician to do it...the hardest thing is installing the rubber standoffs for the fan in the chassis; using the standoffs in place of the stock fan mounting screws makes a big difference in the noise level, but the standoffs are a very tight fit in the screw holes...also, the NoiseBlocker power cable is not long enough to reach the connector on the Intel motherboard in the KRONOS; you can buy 3-conductor fan power extension cables, or solder up your own using the cable from the stock fan...

df
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
PCFREE wrote:

It's not that difficult if you're used to working on electronic / computer assemblies - if you haven't done this kind of work before, you should get a computer or keyboard technician to do it...the hardest thing is installing the rubber standoffs for the fan in the chassis; using the standoffs in place of the stock fan mounting screws makes a big difference in the noise level, but the standoffs are a very tight fit in the screw holes...also, the NoiseBlocker power cable is not long enough to reach the connector on the Intel motherboard in the KRONOS; you can buy 3-conductor fan power extension cables, or solder up your own using the cable from the stock fan...

df

Thanks for your response! Looks like a job for a technician, then!
I'm only happy with installing ram and hard drives!
phil55

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:
dfahrner wrote:
PCFREE wrote:

df

Ask the tech if you can watch. It'll be very helpful in the future. it was for me.
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil55 wrote:
PCFREE wrote:
dfahrner wrote:
PCFREE wrote:

df

Ask the tech if you can watch. It'll be very helpful in the future. it was for me.

Will do! Wink

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
SteadfastElk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Another Noctua user Reply with quote

phil55 wrote:
PCFREE wrote:
Hi all!

Is this one the right spec?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NoiseBlocker-Case-Fan-NB-BlackSilentFan-Version/dp/B002DFZQE0/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389621647&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=NoiseBlocker+BlackSilentFan+BSF-XR2+%2814.1CFM%2C+15dBA#productDetails

Can't say. This is the one that was recommended to me.

Noctua A-Series NF-A6x25 60mm Blades with AAO Frame, SSO2 Bearing Premium Fan

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608032&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

used with the LNA resistor

Hi all,

Found this thread searching for a solution for the annoying fan sound of my Korg Kronos 88.

I independently found the Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX http://noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=48&lng=en&set=1, which was readily available from a local computer store for CA$14.99, and I decided to use that.

I used the Low Noise adapter cable, which gives it the required minimum airflow while still being quiet:
Airflow with LNA 23,5 m³/h
Acoustical Noise with LNA 14,5 dB(A)

It was quite a pain to install because the holes in the bracket are too small for the rubber "vibration compensators" that come with the fan and are best to install it with. One broke during the installation. The cables coming with the fan are good quality, sleeved an all, but just long enough for reaching the power connector.

However, now that the installation is done, the result is great. I can't even hear the fan from a normal playing distance.

A musical instrument should not produce any noise, other than what's produced when you play on it. Shame on Korg for not designing this better in this device costing over CA$4000.

This thread helped me find the best solution for the problem. Thanks to all posters, especially maphill for his instructive tutorial!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The holes aren't to small you just needed to lube the soft standoff a bit. I rubbed a bit of Dawn on mine and they slipped through nicely.
SteadfastElk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
The holes aren't to small you just needed to lube the soft standoff a bit. I rubbed a bit of Dawn on mine and they slipped through nicely.

Yeah, that may help, thanks, Bertotti. Will try that when the current fan needs replacement...
scottrod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Kronos still have a fan? Reply with quote

Does the latest design (Kronos 2, wood sides) still have a fan, or has it been eliminated?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos still have a fan? Reply with quote

scottrod wrote:
Does the latest design (Kronos 2, wood sides) still have a fan, or has it been eliminated?

It still has a fan.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more fan stuff: here's a description of a mod that I made earlier this year after installing the latest OS:

I've been using the NoiseBlocker NB-BlackSilentFan in several original KRONOS for the last couple of years without any problems...but with OS 3.02, I was surprised to see that (with Fan Speed: Auto) the System Temperature of my 88 was higher than most people were reporting here: in the first 15 - 20 minutes, it would rise into the upper 60 degree (C.) range, and then over the next hour or so, into the low 70s...and I'd seen as high as 75 after about 2-1/2 hours, which is a little too close to that 80 degree warning area for me...although with OS 3.02 in the original KRONOS, the fan just switches from slow to high speed at a System Temperature of 89 degrees, so I doubt that there's really any problem with the temperatures that I've been seeing...

Still, I had always thought that the CPU heatsink on the motherboard couldn't be as efficient as it could be, since the fan only pulled air over it from across the power supply, the heatsink was upside down, airflow across it was blocked by the DIMMs, etc....there's several inches of room between the right-hand edge of the motherboard and the right-hand KRONOS chassis/end piece, so I mounted another 60mm fan there (in a bracket attached to the MDF bottom cover), pulling air from the keyboard side and blowing air at the CPU heatsink at an angle, so that the heated air would not go over the power supply but would be directed at the back of the case...I used a SilenX iXtrema Pro IXP-34-12 fan that I had originally used to replace the (noisy) stock KRONOS fan; it is very quiet but doesn't move as much air, so I had replaced it with the NoiseBlocker...adding the SilenX blowing air across the heatsink didn't increase the fan noise at all, but it did make a difference in System Temperature: it runs about 10 degree cooler, and I've never seen a temperature over 62 degrees, even after several hours...

Update: this was written before it got hot here this summer; with an indoor temperature of 80 degrees plus, the KRONOS with the second fan gets up to around 70 degrees after a few hours...

df
Synthee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos still have a fan? Reply with quote

scottrod wrote:

It still has a fan, but you can turn it off completely and it only starts when the temperature exceeds 80°C.
But it has never started on my Kronos 2 even if its on many hours.
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why the high speed fan kicks in 9° cooler than the original kronos....

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
kamilbaranski

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, we have 23 pages here, it's TL:DR for me today, so I'll just write what I did; maybe it will help anybody.

Original Kronos 88, soft upgraded to 3.1, serial 003***. The fan sound was annoying; it was OK when the setting was "Slow", but I think the temperature was too high (I don't remember numbers, but I remember it crashed once).

1. I've changed the original RDM6025S (3000rpm/15,8cfm/21,1dbA) to SilentiumPC Zephyr 60 (2500rpm/19,8cfm/17,9dbA).

2. I've found that the brown (maroon?) thing in the power unit buzzes. (The thing with "4" sticker.) It was buzzing a lot less, when I press it. So I've disconnected it from the thing (coil?) under it (these were sticked). It helped a lot (the buzzing changed the sound, I can't hear it now on assembled synth).

3. I've changed the direction of the fan - it blows air into the power unit and mainboard. (Is it a wrong idea? What do you think?)

Conclusion: It's much quieter now, the system temperature under normal/minimum load is 61 C (there's 24 C in the room) and I can't hear the fan (unless I move my ear 15 cm above the synth), so the synth can be turned on 24/7 during the studio work and I don't need to power it on and wait 3 minutes for booting.

Hope it might help anybody,
greetings,
KB
FrankWahl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: KRONOS Fan Information Reply with quote

Hi all,

yesterday I opened my Kronos 88 Plantinum to install a second SSD (Samsung EVO 850 120GB) an was surprised to see exactly the same fan model as in my old Kronos 88, hichis a little bit loud.
It's an XFAN RDM6025S.
The diefference is, that it is not fixed with srews, so that the rotation causes some noise, but rubber fan mountings (Please Excuse my English).
So I think it's not necessary to change the fan (as I did several times) but the screws to get the Koronos silent.

Best regards
Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: