Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording a combi in sequencer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Recording a combi in sequencer Reply with quote

I recorded a combi on the fly. Later I wanted to play around and learn the mixer, and although I think I understand the basics about mixers, I'm totally clueless at what I'm looking at. Let me explain:

The first 7-8 tracks all have instruments assigned to them. I can see German grand, some flute and several other prgrm. In my mind, they're all part of the combi itself and each instruments occupies its own slot. It's all very logic and intuitive. but....

During playback, I SOLO track 1 German grand, and I have no sound at all. Some tracks have no sound and others appears to have sounds that does correspond to the instrument name. For exemple, the German grand I was playing along is under some other tracks instead of track 1 Grand Piano.

Aslo I don't seem to be able to arm for recording the very next empty track after selecting a prgrm sound.

Can anyone kindly shed some light on this? Any input would be appreciated.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically what you are asking is for someone to tell you how to record to the internal sequencer.
This is not easy to fully explain in a post. Preparing for recording, Recording and then playback.

You give no information about how you are going about it. i.e. computer, usb, audio interface or just you and Kronos.
If you open the the Quick Start or the Operation Guide, it will give you instructions.. I guess no one is replying to this post because it's not a brief answer. Have a look at the guide to get started and then post your question.
(Just trying to help) Wink
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss. Is it a standard preloaded combi or one you created? If it's a regular one, give the name and we can decipher what's going on. Some are quite complex in how the sounds get triggered.

Busch.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
Basically what you are asking is for someone to tell you how to record to the internal sequencer.
This is not easy to fully explain in a post. Preparing for recording, Recording and then playback.

You give no information about how you are going about it. i.e. computer, usb, audio interface or just you and Kronos.
If you open the the Quick Start or the Operation Guide, it will give you instructions.. I guess no one is replying to this post because it's not a brief answer. Have a look at the guide to get started and then post your question.
(Just trying to help) Wink

No not really, I've recorded bunch of stuff ok to the sequencer. Just me and the Kronos, nothing else.

Like I said, I selected a combi, recorded on the fly, and looking at the tracks, I don't understand how the instruments are broken down between the tracks.

For me, it sould be one track with the combi name, but I seems to be a mix of serveral things.

That's all!
Wink
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Dniss. Is it a standard preloaded combi or one you created? If it's a regular one, give the name and we can decipher what's going on. Some are quite complex in how the sounds get triggered.

Busch.

Ok I will, not at home right now, but will post when I get home.
Thanks!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
No not really, I've recorded bunch of stuff ok to the sequencer. Just me and the Kronos, nothing else.

Like I said, I selected a combi, recorded on the fly, and looking at the tracks, I don't understand how the instruments are broken down between the tracks.

For me, it sould be one track with the combi name, but I seems to be a mix of serveral things.

A combi shares a lot with sequencer songs. A combi is a selection of instruments that are playing together - often with a drum track or 'grooves' created by KARMA, there are FX routings and all the other elements you also find in sequencer mode.

Or from another perspective, a song in sequencer mode is basically a combi with the ability to record MIDI data for individual instruments within the combination (plus audio tracks and a bunch of other features).

When you copy a combi into the sequencer, the combi setup itself is taken into the sequencer.

the tracks in sequencer mode can only contain individual instruments (programs). So you can't load a combi into a single track on the sequencer itself like you might at first expect.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Dniss wrote:

A combi shares a lot with sequencer songs. A combi is a selection of instruments that are playing together - often with a drum track or 'grooves' created by KARMA, there are FX routings and all the other elements you also find in sequencer mode.

Or from another perspective, a song in sequencer mode is basically a combi with the ability to record MIDI data for individual instruments within the combination (plus audio tracks and a bunch of other features).

When you copy a combi into the sequencer, the combi setup itself is taken into the sequencer.

the tracks in sequencer mode can only contain individual instruments (programs). So you can't load a combi into a single track on the sequencer itself like you might at first expect.

Good explanation! That's exactly why I like to use an external, PC-based sequencer when combi's are involved. When you do it that way, a combi only takes up 1 track (I actually record the line outs, not MIDI data). I started doing this because using the Krono's sequencer doesn't seem to reproduce the combi the same way its supposed to sound... the external PC-based sequencer reproduces it exactly! Not sure if that's a bug or if there's something I don't know about... either way, I still prefer the PC-based sequencer. Soooo much easier to edit on a full-size monitor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: