Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

if only using sticks, is Oriental worth the extra expense?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyTheSaint

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: if only using sticks, is Oriental worth the extra expense? Reply with quote

Due to physical issues, I only play with sticks, never with hands. In that case, does the Oriental really offer a big advantage? It seems to me the hand drum sounds are best played with hands or else you sacrifice a lot of what they can do.

I'm asking because I want to buy a second Wavedrum. I figure used silver Wavedrums will come way down in price once the Orientals are more generally available. So I only want to spend the extra money if it's truly worth it when using only sticks. The extra memory locations and loops don't seem to justify the extra expense, only the new hand drum sounds do (if you play with hands). Opinions?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a silver version and I can say every stick offers diffrent tones and subtilties. Evdn without hands there are all sorts of other things to use with patches made for hands. I would look at it as would you have a choiceuse for the extra tones of the oriental. Now I have had tyhe silver for way over a year and I have no real desire to dump it for an oriental and only once in awhile think I would like to add one, I do however wish I had two Wavedrums.
JimmyTheSaint

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, we differ there: if I was playing with my hands, I'd buy an Oriental in a second whether or not I kept my silver. The Oriental offers a lot more functionality for hands. I hear you about the Oriental's extra possibilities even with sticks, but I'm wondering if people really consider the extra expense worth it when playing with sticks exclusively, or if it's spending a lot more money for only a little more functionality.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's how I have looked at it and still haven't convinced myself I need it. Keep in mind that it has more programmed hand sounds but uses something like 6 or 9 new algorithms. Sorry I do not remember the exact number but my point is if you like to program your own sounds the availability of the new algorithms may be very important to you, you do not have to use them for hand patches but could program them for sticks. I consider the extra fifty loops as not worth considering because now we know how to load our own loops and for me the 100 spots available in the silver is plenty. I would use the extra algorithms but for me the extra expense isn't quite worth it yet especially in this economy and since I have seen the silver WD go for 300$. I am holding out for the next version and will decide then. I don't know if his helps you at all but holy cow it is a blast trying different sticks, power rods, mallets, they all offer different things. Once you get one you will have a ball!
JimmyTheSaint

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? I do have one--that's why I'm thinking of getting a second one. Actually, I agree with holding off for the next generation or getting another silver once the eBay price goes below $300. I'm too lazy to program, so I'm not sure how prepared I am to really exploit the extra algorithms using sticks only. I am enjoying using different sticks, so I guess I just needed someone to agree with me so that I wouldn't go and spend all the extra money on an Oriental.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The programming is fun until you kid trips over the power cord and you lose an hours worth of tweaking because you hadn't saved it yet! I do agree with you. I actually really don't like the color of the oriental so it makes it easier for me to ignore it. I really love my silver and like you will probably add another once they go below 300.
martygras

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I'm not happy with the head tension while using sticks. There's not enough bounce to achieve some of the stick work and dynamics.

Definitely not replicating the feel of a snare drum.

I use hands/fingers mostly so the feel is perfect for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: