Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can I get a "Kurzweil" piano sample for the
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend just using MIDI to play the kurz, If you bother doing some work with assigning midichannels etc you can combine both machines and use w/e patches you want from both(and not just pianos from the kurz) and you would gain polyphony etc.

Sharp wrote:
Jon Lord wrote:
Maybe this? http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65572
It does not mention anywhere that it's a kurzweil sample but the name does seem familiar Wink

It’s called a Triple Strike only because it contains 3 layers of multisamples. It's an EQ’ed Yamaha C3. Not a kurzweil. It's well known here I actually don't like kurzweil. I think they sound like somthing from the 90's. I don’t understand the fascination with them at all.

Regards
Sharp
Ok thanks for the clearup!

burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:

2) You might "warm up" to the Kronos' pianos in time and eventually not like the Kurz piano nearly as much. This has happened to me several times over the years when presented with newer and arguably better technology. The newer pianos are initially a shock and not as good because you've spent so much time getting used to your old pianos: playing, tweaking, listening, recording, etc. At one time I thought the M1 piano was awesome. Then the Trinity blew that away. But then I got a PC88 and used that for years. After playing around with a borrowed Generalmusic Pro2 for a while, though, I realized I could be more expressive with it, and it sounded more like a real piano performance when played or recorded. Years later, software replaced that (I finally settled on the original TruePianos vanilla sound rather than some of the larger libraries or Pianoteq), but now I think the Kronos is the best thing for me...heck, at least I can carry it around me!

I agree completely. For the longest time I used the Emu Proformance+ piano and never found anything I liked as much. Even when I got into the giga-size pianos, I still preferred the Emu. It was only until I did a detailed listening of some of the giga pianos did I start to hear the differences. After working with them I went back to the Emu and couldn't believe how cheap it now sounded to my ears. It takes a while to adjust.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something posted on the M3 part of the site. I assume the Kronos can load in samples that the M3 would use?

Inspired by Kurzweil® Piano, Pc3x triple strike piano layers...
.PCGfile(1combi +relative programs)+KSCFile (2Osc.Layers)

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65456
Fred S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Yes, for me this magic piano is to start with the Dark German Grand program.

Change the piano type to "German D Dark 2"
Change the VELOCITY INTENSITY to +64
Change VELOCITY BIAS to -10

Make sure VELOCITY CURVE is set to 9 for either the semi-weighted 61 or the weighted actions.

I've added a little richer reverb setting for ballads and such. It's a BEAUTIFUL piano.

Kronos Dark Piano

Busch.

This was very helpful, but not in a straight forward way. I've been trying just about everything including dual piano combi's and just about every possible fx looking for "the" piano patch. It's funny that I never found the 32 piano programs until today....thanks to your tip! Found what I was looking for today, not your described patch, but clean and thick. Very close now to the go to patch I tweaked in my s90es a couple years ago. I'm pretty damned excited Smile. Thanks.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear Fred. Share your findings!

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred,

I shared my piano program a while ago, but the search is broken right now.
Fred S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busy for the evening. I'll review it for specifics and share tommorrow.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred,

I see you have an S90ES. Perfect. OK, I'm going to try and match EQ after all the stuff I am working on clears - probably in the next couple of weeks. Too busy now to drag that huge thing to the studio.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Yes, for me this magic piano is to start with the Dark German Grand program.

Change the piano type to "German D Dark 2"
Change the VELOCITY INTENSITY to +64
Change VELOCITY BIAS to -10

Make sure VELOCITY CURVE is set to 9 for either the semi-weighted 61 or the weighted actions.

I've added a little richer reverb setting for ballads and such. It's a BEAUTIFUL piano.

Kronos Dark Piano

Busch.

Wow, that's really nice!
Fred S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my best piano so far...as promised. Haven't tried it in a band context yet, but I'm guessing it will cut ok. Accoustic piano is so subjective, it will be interesting to see if anyone likes this patch!

Start with German Grand & VPM
Substitute Japanese C 2 for the German Grand

from the control surface page:
Keep exi 1 volume at 127
Set exi 2 volume at 81
EQ trim = 99
Low EQ = + 11
Mid Freq = 580
Mid Gain = - 05.5
High EQ = - 01.5

Set O-verb to 19
Petekey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your post Fred, I'll try it tomorrow. The piano is the sound that is bumming me out the most on gigs right now. I think I just need to work with the Kronos more and experiment with different pianos. I don't want to give up on it as I think the stuff is there to get what I want and I know the technology in it is so far ahead of all other boards.

I think I'm still in the phase of getting used to it and the sounds after being a Kurz man for like 15 years.

Thanks,
Pete
yeloop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petekey wrote:
Thanks for your post Fred, I'll try it tomorrow. The piano is the sound that is bumming me out the most on gigs right now. I think I just need to work with the Kronos more and experiment with different pianos. I don't want to give up on it as I think the stuff is there to get what I want and I know the technology in it is so far ahead of all other boards.

I think I'm still in the phase of getting used to it and the sounds after being a Kurz man for like 15 years.

Thanks,
Pete

Pete, I'm in a similar boat to be honest.

I use a Kurzweil PC3x and the piano sound just works for me... it's very rich and warm and has real character - somehow I can't get into the Korg pianos even when trying various edits (including those suggested in this thread).

I had planned to use my Kronos as the new "master" keyboard (on the lower tier of my setup), which would mean using it for piano sounds, however I am now leaning towards using it as the second layer and keeping the Kurzweil on the bottom.

Playing the Kurzweil piano feels like playing a real instrument, with slight flaws and a huge amount of warmth and character. Playing the Kronos piano (either German or Japanese) somehow feels like you're not really playing, but instead listening to someone else play! Somehow it's just not as easy to feel connected to it, without the warmth of the Kurzweil's sound.

So I'm currently experimenting with how I set these two synths up... I still haven't decided! I am hoping to suddenly find that I have come to love the Kronos's piano (because rationally I can see that it is sampled incredibly well and is "perfect"), but switching between the two this just isn't happening!

Cheers,
Mike
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to use one of the German Dark grands if you are coming from the Kurzweil. Another thing to test is the release. The Kurzweil piano is so distinct that it can be difficult to switch.
yeloop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
You have to use one of the German Dark grands if you are coming from the Kurzweil. Another thing to test is the release. The Kurzweil piano is so distinct that it can be difficult to switch.

The dark pianos are definitely closer for sure - they are less agressive and steel sounding, especially at high velocities.

Does anyone know what the "s" variant of each piano means?

Cheers,
Mike
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> agressive and steel sounding

I know what you are getting at. Yes, if you fool around with the velocity settings, you can remove a lot of that brighter sound. However, it's a balancing act. You need to get it brighter without getting too much into that bright sample territory.

Try reducing the velocity until the harsher attack goes away, then try the exciter plugin to get back some of the brightness so it cuts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: