Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fan speed during startup
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How does your fan cycle during startup?
Starts low- then goes high half-way through startup and stays that way until you shut off kronos
50%
 50%  [ 12 ]
Starts low- then goes high half-way through startup- then goes low again and stays that way until shutdown
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
Fan speed does something else
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 24

madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord almighty, everyone's on edge lately, seeing criticism and complaints when there is none.

Even if your fan is very quiet, you can still vote for one of the options; you'll just have to put your ear closer and listen more carefully. The OP simply wants to know if the difference in loudness between different Kronos is due to the speed of the fan during operation, and if it's set by software--and if so if it's version-dependent. That way he'll know whether to wait for 1.5 or replace his unit until he gets a quiet one.
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Something Else? Reply with quote

rderderian wrote:
My fan is quiet all the time, even during startup.

Again, this is not about how loud your Kronos is. It's about whether the fan changes speed during startup and operation. If you put your ear very close, can you hear a difference in the fan speed during startup and operation?
Mailman71

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManChuck wrote:
Chrutil wrote:
None of the choices imply 'problem' as I see it. They describe behavior.
If the fan goes 'high' and stays on, that'd only be a 'problem' if the noise level was an issue.
My fan goes 'high' as in 'yeah, I can hear it, but only if it's quiet around me'. I have never been bothered by the fan noise.
Mine goes on for about 4 seconds when I turn it on, then the fan is quiet until the progress bar reach 'K' in workstation, but even when on it is quiet enough not to register on my sound level meter (which starts at 50dB)
K88 #444

The poster's opening post describes problems. Re-read it and you'll see that s/he describes his/her first Kronos with a "blank screen". Then s/he goes on to describe the 2nd Kronos (replacement?) as having its fan as loud as a desktop computer. "Blank screens" and "fan as loud as desktop computers" imply problems or "unwanted behaviors".
Yes, you could say these are "behaviors"... but that's not what the poll suggests. The poster posts their experiences in the first two choices and by not offering a "no problem" or "completely quiet" poll option, the third selection can only imply the continuum of the first two choices, which imply "problems" or "unwanted behaviors".
To offer a 3rd choice of "other behavior" does nothing in this context... my fan is virtually non-existant in terms of noise.... I don't consider that a "behavior" at all in that I didn't realize there's even a fan in the unit! So my fan would be a "non behavior" since the only reason I know its there is becuase of posts made on this forum about noisy fans.
Hi Chuck- My name is Jim and im not an experienced pollster. This poll is not going to be used on the 6 oclock news and Im not trying to complain about my kronos.Ive already conceded that the options could have been worded different and other options added but could not be changed after poll started. But I believe the bias is with you and not the poll questions, I know all the problem posts on the kronos forum have become tiresome, but assuming that your kronos is normal because you cant hear your fan and it doesnt change speed is a bias. Maybe that is not normal-maybe your kronos will overheat and die early. Im just trying to find out what others kronos fans are doing- Ive had two and have different experiences with them. I have removed the " "Blank screen", "fan as loud as desktop computer " and "hope there is a software update fix"
from my orignal post .
Fred S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loud fan immediately at start up...for a second or two. Then goes quite and stays that way.
popmann

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing my answer. When I booted this morning, I sat there with my head right above the screen...it actually starts LOWER and speeds up when it hits "version 1.04" on the screen...and stays there until turning off.

I think mine is getting louder...I can clearly here it now from where I use mics. It's not loud enough to matter, but when I bought it a few weeks ago, the first thing I did was test, and it wasn't even audible. It's still not on par with the "quiet pc" that I DO cut off to track live mics, but it's audible from across the room where it wasn't before. If it gets louder, I'll contact Korg about having a repair center replace the fan...might as well have them upgrade the RAM at the same time. I could do both, if I can let them do it and keep it warranteed...
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does a quick "whirr" at powerup then slows down during the rest of the boot up phase and it never increases while playing for HOURS. I did notice that Kronos gets a LITTLE warm in hot weather but during the evil July heat wave we had here Kronos didn't overheat though I DO admit I was a bit paranoid as the only keyboard I have in which you can really feel the heat from the chassis is the JP-8000. But neither are too hot to the touch.

My paranoia also had stemmed from the fact that K2000s could get notoriously hot if you didn't have the fan upgrade. It was and IS a great synth but Kurzweil's power supply for that model sucked.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
wan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan of my K61 (os 1.0.4) goes high speed on startup, then within 5 secs falls to low speed, then after a minute goes to halfway speed and won't change anymore during the next hours of fun.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here too.

This halfloud noise is still definitely too much noise for my taste.
I ask myself how it can be that 11 posters have that problem, while for 4 in the poll the fan stays on low level after one short startup period.

This isn't fair Wink

I have already ordered a fan replacement, because this slightly but constantly annoying fan noise in my 73 is something I simply don't regard as tolerable on a (any) keyboard.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my computer makes too much (fan) noise because I haven't noticed the fan on the Kronos but I will listen to it more carefully this evening.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: