Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement for Main Volume?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Replacement for Main Volume? Reply with quote

I know this will seem frivolous to some of you, but I've come ot teh conclusion for live playing that volume knob is REALLY gonna SUCK. IMO It should have been a slider like every other synth I've owned for the past 20 years. I feel Korg really dropped to ball on that detail as a performance synth.

Why am I hatin on the volume knob so much?

-It's about the furthest control from reach
-It is difficult to just touch it for minute adjustments. Meaning if I want to adjust the volume real quick between chords while playing it's going to be a challenge. I now have to dedicate seconds to grab, get a hold of the thing and twist it so I can make a change. Where on all previous synths with a slider, I could just tap it in one quick ninja movement and I'm back in the game!
-It's tiny and thin making it hard to do fine adjustments on the fly. The size and height of the knob also requires more force to make it move, and because of the design you have to be careful so not to damage it.

So here's the solution I'm considering, which is easy enough. REPLACE the knob with something bigger/Grabbier.

The QUESTION for Korg (Or anyone who knows for that matter) is the shaft a standard size of some type? I'd imagine so, but which one?

Last edited by NuSkoolTone on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Main Volume? Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
I know this will seem frivolous to some of you, but I've come ot teh conclusion for live playing that volume knob is REALLY gonna SUCK. IMO It should have been a slider like every other synth I've owned for the past 20 years. I feel Korg really dropped to ball on that detail as a performance synth.

Why am I hatin on the volume knob so much?

-It's about the furthest control from reach
-It is difficult to just touch it for minute adjustments. Meaning if I want to adjust the volume real quick between chords while playing it's going to be a challenge. I now have to dedicate seconds to grab, get a hold of the thing and twist it so I can make a change. Where on all previous synths with a slider, I could just tap it in one quick ninja movement and I'm back in the game!
-It's tiny and thin making it hard to do fine adjustments on the fly. The size and height of the knob also requires more force to make it move, and because of the design you have to be careful so not to damage it.

So here's the solution I'm considering, which is easy enough. REPLACE the knob with something bigger/Grabbier.

The QUESTION for Korg (Or anyone who knows for that matter) is the shaft a standard size of some type? I'd imagine so, but which one?

it seems like the MASTER slider (slider #9) acts as a main volume too....

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement for Main Volume? Reply with quote

apex wrote:

it seems like the MASTER slider (slider #9) acts as a main volume too....

I wondered about that. Is that consistent across combi, prog, and setlist mode?

I'll have to try it thanks.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure... I just know that I've been using it. LOL.

YouTube -

Facebook -

burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MASTER slider is directly connected to the MASTER VOLUME and is the last control prior to output so it's a good place to be controlling volume. If you touch MFX/TFX on any Combi/Program/Seq and adjust the MASTER slider you'll see it changing the master volume.

I believe the slider is always connected in this manner with the exception being if you're in TONE ADJUST (e.g. CX-3) where it might be assigned to something else.

But, it is almost always set to 127 by default, so if you want to use it to add volume and not just subtract, you'll need to go through the programs you're using on a nightly basis and lower the master volume output.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
The MASTER slider is directly connected to the MASTER VOLUME and is the last control prior to output so it's a good place to be controlling volume. If you touch MFX/TFX on any Combi/Program/Seq and adjust the MASTER slider you'll see it changing the master volume.

I believe the slider is always connected in this manner with the exception being if you're in TONE ADJUST (e.g. CX-3) where it might be assigned to something else.

But, it is almost always set to 127 by default, so if you want to use it to add volume and not just subtract, you'll need to go through the programs you're using on a nightly basis and lower the master volume output.

Busch.

may I ask what the point was in them having a master volume in two different places (other than the obvious way it could be used in situations like the one the OP would use it as)

YouTube -

Facebook -

X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
burningbusch wrote:

Busch.

may I ask what the point was in them having a master volume in two different places (other than the obvious way it could be used in situations like the one the OP would use it as)

Typically the volume control on the far left of Korg's keyboards tends to be an analog output control.
The 'Master' slider on the other hand is a part of the software mixer so I'd presume that the level that is set this way can be saved for each patch/combi and used for automation in songs and in controlling anything else over MIDI.

That way, you should only need to adjust the analog control once or twice in a gig to get the kind of overall level right - a bit like the difference between faders and gain knobs on a live mixer - you should set the gain knobs at the start of the gig to get the right kind of 'region of loudness', and then use the faders for fine adjustment and occasionally for special effect, during the gig.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:

I think the intention is that the knob is for the general output of the instrument. I set mine about 75% and then adjust my PA mixer accordingly.

The Master slider allows you to adjust PROGRAMS, COMBIS and SEQUENCES so that the output is equal from one to the other.

At first, I thought it was awkward to have the knob and slider, but in practical use, I find them to be very handy.

EDITED to clarify that the MIXER in the first paragraph is the PA mixer, not the control surface mixer on the Kronos.

Last edited by danmusician on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info. I've been using the knob. Yes, it seems a bit strange. I used the slider right next to the display which is the value slider, of course nothing happened...then bingo--I had found the volume knob. I'm looking forward to a session with it tonight. Smile
philmagnotta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would inquire a little further to Korg support.
Also, there may be a diagram of the signal flow in the manual.
Here's why:
Some or most of those slider types you were referring to, depending on the year of manufacture, were pre D-to-A. This reduced the bit resolution at the outputs.
Not saying this is Korg's implementation.
However, some of the synth designs that I programed for required the pre-A/D (labled as Master Volume) slider to be all the way up, then you went into the AMP ENV. generator or other place(s) to set volume levels per program.
The exact placement of the Kronos volume control within the signal chain should be a fairly easy question to be resolved.
In your case, having the need to do as you've explained, as well many others I assume, would be to use the master slider, but do check into this. I believe the master volume knob should be set to full-on.
I'm going to check on this myself, I'll get back to you.
philmagnotta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention regarding the new volume knob of your choice.
Find an electronics supply company in your area. Take the knob with you.
Most of those places carry a variety of those things and if your lucky, you'll find a better one, let us know what you end up with.
yeloop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philmagnotta wrote:
I forgot to mention regarding the new volume knob of your choice.
Find an electronics supply company in your area. Take the knob with you.
Most of those places carry a variety of those things and if your lucky, you'll find a better one, let us know what you end up with.

I wonder if the knobs from the Triton / Triton Extreme would fit?

I was thinking of replacing all the knobs at the same time - the old Korg "rubberised" knobs are a lot nicer to use than these new plastic-only ones!
philmagnotta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a complete retro-funky, chicken-head type knob set?
The ones on some old and new guitar amps.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philmagnotta wrote:
I would inquire a little further to Korg support.
Also, there may be a diagram of the signal flow in the manual.

You're right, there is: in the Parameter Guide explanations of the Master Volume Slider.

The front panel volume knob is analog.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:

The front panel volume knob is analog.

- Dan

meaning?

YouTube -

Facebook -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: