Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Really strong dual stand... have you used any of these?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeloop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Really strong dual stand... have you used any of these? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Now that I have a much heavier rig thanks to the arrival of my 88 note Kronos (Kronos 88 on the bottom and Kurzweil PC3x on the upper tier) I'm looking for a very strong two-tier stand that doesn't rock from side to side the way my current X stand does!

I've narrowed it down to one of these, but would love any feedback if you have used or tried one or more of these stands!

Quiklok Z-stand:
http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=99&sName=Z-726L

K&M Keyboard "table" (with second tier):
http://produkte.k-m.de/en/Keyboard-stands/Keyboard-tables/18810-TABLE-STYLE-KEYBOARD-STAND-OMEGA-black

K&M Spider Pro: (this one looks stunning but I'm not sure if it's as stable as the others - if a guitarrist bumps the end of one of my keyboards, will it go catipulting off the stand?!)
http://produkte.k-m.de/en/Keyboard-stands/Column-stands/18860-KEYBOARD-STAND-SPIDER-PRO-anodized-aluminum
I'll be using it for standing (at gigs) and sitting (in my studio) - not sure whether this sort of stand works well for sitting down, either!

Roland KS stand: (this looks incredibly stable, but the second tier only claims to hold the Fantom G7, which is about 8kg lighter than my Kurzweil PC3x...)
http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/products/productdetails.aspx?p=943&c=39

Anyway - I'd love advice from anyone who has used these stands and has any recommendations or horror stories (I'm not too keen to see my Kronos and Kurzweil collapse to the floor in front of me!!).

If you have a heavy second-tier keyboard (something with 88 weighted keys) I would be particularly interested to hear your thoughts!

Cheers and thanks,
Mike
panrixx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also have a look at the Quick Lok M92 stand

http://www.millennium-music.co.uk/quiklok-m92-dual-tier-keyboard-stand
yeloop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:

That looks interesting too! It has a lower total weight capacity and I'm a bit concerned it only has one "cross bar" (the rear part of the stand that links the two sides together).

Have youu had a good experience with this stand? What synth do you have on your top tier?

Cheers and thanks,
Mike
panrixx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use this stand myself - I have the Yamaha LG-800 single tier stand.

Another member does have one and has given good reports on it's stability. Unfortunately, this site's search facility has been removed for a while so I cannot find out who it was for you and which model of Kronos he has. Hopefully, he will respond to this thread personally.
yeloop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:
I don't use this stand myself - I have the Yamaha LG-800 single tier stand.

Another member does have one and has given good reports on it's stability. Unfortunately, this site's search facility has been removed for a while so I cannot find out who it was for you and which model of Kronos he has. Hopefully, he will respond to this thread personally.

Thanks heaps - yes, I noticed that search wasn't functioning!

Hopefully others will have some helpful ideas on double stands too.

Cheers,
Mike
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeloop wrote:
panrixx wrote:

That looks interesting too! It has a lower total weight capacity and I'm a bit concerned it only has one "cross bar" (the rear part of the stand that links the two sides together).

Have youu had a good experience with this stand? What synth do you have on your top tier?

Cheers and thanks,
Mike

I have used one quite happily with an M3-88 and a Roland Fantom X7 on the 2nd tier for several years.
panrixx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Yes, you're the one I was thinking of. Didn't you have a photo of your set-up?

Edit: Found the 'stand' thread and Dave's photo here

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61931&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the photo of the setup I was using. Though, having now just replced my M3-88 with a K73, I have swapped my stand for a K&M Spider Pro which, strangely enough, is the one pictured in the post following my M92 picture.
yeloop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveBoulden wrote:
Yep, that's the photo of the setup I was using. Though, having now just replced my M3-88 with a K73, I have swapped my stand for a K&M Spider Pro which, strangely enough, is the one pictured in the post following my M92 picture.

How do you find the Spider Pro, Dave?

Is it stable - and would it still stay balanced if someone were to put a bit of weight on the end of one of the synths?

Also keen to know if it can be used in a sitting position if needed...

Cheers!
Mike
BrickPilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been a fan of QuikLok's second/third tier arm ends. The tabs just aren't tall enough for some boards, and the risk is the board jumping the tab and crashing down on a lower board. I had this happen once. <shiver>
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeloop wrote:
How do you find the Spider Pro, Dave?

Is it stable - and would it still stay balanced if someone were to put a bit of weight on the end of one of the synths?

Also keen to know if it can be used in a sitting position if needed...

So far, so good, though I haven't gigged it yet, just used it in the studio. I actually have been using it in a seated position and it's fine. I'm not noticing any stability issues and I think you'd need to add a lot of weight to one end of a keyboard to unsettle it!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you consider an A stand?

Like this:

http://www.jaspers-alu.de/jaspers-alu/images/2D-120B.jpg

I haven't used it for gigging yet (it's new).
But (at least for the jaspers):

- Mine is quite high (120 if I'm right) and it doesn't fit easily in a car without taking it apart
- Taking it apart costs several minutes, just fold down 10 seconds.
- Adjusting it for the first time takes quite some time, after that it's very strong and does not need to be changed, so it's only one time
- Keep in mind if you want later buy a 73 and 88 that the width fits.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
zzz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the quiklok Z stand, and it's stable in my home studio! Actually, it's a solid piece of kit, and I would much rather take this out than any X stand. On my top tier, there's an ensoniq sq-80, and the tabs hold that fine. I'd have a look at some kind of LED light that you can attach, to get the Kronos lit up, so you can read the printed stuff. In poor light, it just fades into the black. I'd chalk it up as a definite possible, depending on your particular wants.
yeloop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Did you consider an A stand?

Like this:

http://www.jaspers-alu.de/jaspers-alu/images/2D-120B.jpg

I haven't used it for gigging yet (it's new).
But (at least for the jaspers):

- Mine is quite high (120 if I'm right) and it doesn't fit easily in a car without taking it apart
- Taking it apart costs several minutes, just fold down 10 seconds.
- Adjusting it for the first time takes quite some time, after that it's very strong and does not need to be changed, so it's only one time
- Keep in mind if you want later buy a 73 and 88 that the width fits.

Wow, that's quite something!
yeloop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzz wrote:
I've got the quiklok Z stand, and it's stable in my home studio! Actually, it's a solid piece of kit, and I would much rather take this out than any X stand. On my top tier, there's an ensoniq sq-80, and the tabs hold that fine. I'd have a look at some kind of LED light that you can attach, to get the Kronos lit up, so you can read the printed stuff. In poor light, it just fades into the black. I'd chalk it up as a definite possible, depending on your particular wants.

Yeah - the Quiklok Z stand is currently the fore-runner I think.

Are the top tier's components very strong, and do they lock into position (tilt/height) well?

Cheers,
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: