Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally got my Kronos 88!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Finally got my Kronos 88!!! Reply with quote

I'm euphoric, I'm ecstatic. Words can't describe my feelings at the moment! To my knowledge, this is the first Kronos 88 delivered to Finland, and I'm the lucky one! Smile Actually they were about to sell it to Russia, but the customer got his elsewhere.

Anyway, I'm picking it up tomorrow and then starting a serious testing period. If anyone is interested, I'll share my first impressions tomorrow. Just hope that everything is ok with the keybed and that the fan noise won't make me grind my teeth. I have enough trouble with my noisy neighbours as it is Very Happy

Oh, and sorry for wasting a thread for my personal outburst of exitement. I'm making it up by writing some more information about my findings. Smile
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.
It's good to share your positive energy !
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mercede1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will sure LOVE IT!!!! Very Happy
KORG I30
KORG PA800 (Past)
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!! We're always looking forward to hearing new user reports!
polop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, people!

I couldn't wait till tomorrow so I picked up the instrument today. I even tried it out for half an hour.

Initial impressions:

I got to try out a Kronos 2 months ago, so I knew what to expect looks and sound wise.

The RH3-keybed had some uneven spaces, but I could live with that. The machine booted up normally and the OS and display seemed to work fine.

BUT: the fan makes a very weird noise. The low pitched hum (from the airflow) is ok but it makes this weird high pitched sound as well. I'm not even sure if the fan is the cause because it is less audible above the left side of the keyboard. It's really audible on the right side and from the point where I play. It's kind of modulating as well, and resembles of my laptop when it reached 2 years of age. I suspect this isn't normal?

AND another very big problem. I started playing the German Grand without a sustain pedal. I noticed very quickly, that the Kronos cuts off notes. Even with chords with only 5 notes. I've read that someone else had the same problem here?

I'm really disappointed at this stage. I think this thing is going back. The fan and the cut off notes are a deal breaker for me.

Any opinions about should I get this board repaired or just send it back?
qayqaywsx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kim,
I post not very often here, but reading everyday.

The new OS will be there within the next days (hopefully)
Im a 61 owner without any trouble (ok the fan but i will replace it )

The sounds and posiibilities of this Workstation are so overwhelming that i would suggest you to do following :
kontact your dealer/korg and tell him the trouble you have.
As i have a bit of electriically understanding the note cut offs can be from the keyboard matrix system which (under circumstances) may be solved 100% by software.
In your case i would wait until 1.5 and if it is not solved demand an exchange or cancel the buy.

Im sorry to hear those problems because i know what it means to wait for such a thing and then problems .

Only my opinion Wink

best luck
Max
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return it!! Here is the link to the problems with the keybed. http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65292

.. this isnt good.... Alesis Fusion is starting to come to mind!
outjet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I counted at least 17 Kronos with this exact problem reported in the last month
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outjet wrote:
I counted at least 17 Kronos with this exact problem reported in the last month

And those are just the ones that are reported here. What about the others returned that dont read the forum? I bet the big retailers like Sweetwater know their is a problem..
Kim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a sleepless night. I was wondering, how Korg could let this one slip through their quality control.

What wonders me most is the low serial number of my Kronos: 00308. I would have expected to have a fresher model by now. And I was thinking: what happens to all those Kroni which get returned? Are they repaired somewhere and then put back on the market? Perhaps they don't even bother to repair some of them, if they think a loud fan and cut off notes isn't an issue in their book?

I'm mad at Korg now. Especially since they made me hunger for this machine for so long. The reality is, there is NO substitute in the market at the moment. Buying a Motif or Jupiter 80 is NOT an option for me, since none of the competition offer the same amount of features and open architecture. On paper, the Kronos is THE workstation to own. Shame, that off paper it seems like a game of luck if you get a working version or not.

I'll record some of the fan noise today just to give an example what it sounds like. Perhaps I'll even throw in a video of the cut note problem as well. Just to illustrate it and send a message to Korg that some of us DO care about quality.
Kim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qayqaywsx wrote:
Hi Kim,
I post not very often here, but reading everyday.

The new OS will be there within the next days (hopefully)
Im a 61 owner without any trouble (ok the fan but i will replace it )

The sounds and posiibilities of this Workstation are so overwhelming that i would suggest you to do following :
kontact your dealer/korg and tell him the trouble you have.
As i have a bit of electriically understanding the note cut offs can be from the keyboard matrix system which (under circumstances) may be solved 100% by software.
In your case i would wait until 1.5 and if it is not solved demand an exchange or cancel the buy.

Im sorry to hear those problems because i know what it means to wait for such a thing and then problems .

Only my opinion Wink

best luck
Max

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm leaning over to sending this one back. I've got 14 days to decide and I'm afraid the OS update may not appear before that. Besides, there is still this really distracting, high pitched sound coming from the fan (like an old laptop fan).

I'll keep reading the forums to see if the OS update has helped the keybed issues and that it hasn't made playing the keyboard harder (I could imagine a software fix may turn things even worse).

Other than that, the Kronos seems perfect. Love the sounds and I'm overwhelmed by the tweaking possibilities. I'm still optimistic, that there is a workin Kronos out there with my name on it Smile
kron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim wrote:
I'm leaning over to sending this one back. I've got 14 days to decide and I'm afraid the OS update may not appear before that.

Leaning over? You would be mad not to send it back my friend!
Wacky
Kim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kron wrote:
Kim wrote:
I'm leaning over to sending this one back. I've got 14 days to decide and I'm afraid the OS update may not appear before that.

Leaning over? You would be mad not to send it back my friend!
Wacky

Mad? At this point I can't say, to be honest! I called the store and they recommended I'd get it fixed. This wouldn't be a big problem since the repair center is only 5 km from where I live.

I'm strugling between two possibilities:

1. Getting it repaired (have to wait 2-3 weeks) and possibly get a well working keyboard to fit my needs.

2. Sending it back and wait for 1-2 months (no one can even estimate when new 88-versions come in) for a keyboard that HOPEFULLY has no issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: