Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio In Trouble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orycle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Audio In Trouble Reply with quote

Hey guys, i got an ESX im having trouble recording to. First, can u even record external audio to a bank without sampling it first? I am running an R3 through a KaoPro to the ESX. i cant seem to tweak any of the externals with the effects from the ESX i probably have something hooked up wrong, though i doubt it. Id like to use the R3 as the keyboard instead of the one on board the ESX. as of now ive been sampling the synth i want to the ESX and saving it just so i can apply effects, seems counter productive, at least to me...any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Tom
Boris55

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to go in through your audio in 1/4 inch jack to sample anything, you probaly just forgot to to light up your audio in button that has to be lite in order to sample any thing into the esx-1..
Aciphecs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you were having trouble, but didn't describe the issue clearly or what you have tried that's not working. Just a little more info about the process and how your rig is connected will help. Thanks Very Happy

BP Facebook Page

BP Youtube Channel
Pastor-of-Muppets
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio In Trouble Reply with quote

orycle wrote:
First, can u even record external audio to a bank without sampling it first?

that question doesn't make any sense - the only way the ESX can "record" audio is by sampling

if you just want to route audio through the ESX to use its effects (without sampling anything), then you need to sequence notes on the AUDIO IN part (next to the SLICE part).

You can put a single trigger for the AUDIO IN part on the first step of a pattern, then adjust the Gate time to the length of the entire pattern (16, 32, whatever) and that will cause the input to play continuously
orycle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: audio in Reply with quote

well when you press the record play button you can record a drum beat just by playing out a beat with the part buttons so you CAN record on it, in a matter of speaking. so i was wondering if you could do that with the audio in button as a part button, guess ive got more reading to do.
Setup includes R3 in to Kaoss, Kaoss out to ESX. ESX supplying MIDI to Kaoss, and Kaoss supplying MIDI to R3, think thats right.
I know that you have to have the audio in button lit in order to sample, because the Kaoss or R3 will not be audible without it on. The part "audio in" button is the one I was questioning since it doesnt seem to have any effect on what im playing through the ESX. Again probably not using it correctly. Ill try fiddling with it tonight and see if can figure something out.
Pastor-of-Muppets
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but when you hit record you aren't recording audio you're recording a pattern, which is info about what parts plays at each step - not audio

to play audio through the ESX use the Audio In part
sotokangr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Same Question Reply with quote

Hello community,

I do have the same problem/question as orycle.

Pastor-of-Muppets replied with this:

"You can put a single trigger for the AUDIO IN part on the first step of a pattern, then adjust the Gate time to the length of the entire pattern (16, 32, whatever) and that will cause the input to play continuously"

So the actual question is: Using the above comment, can we store/record this input from the external device? Such that when the sequence starts you play something and then, when it starts over, you can hear what you just played in a loop.

Furthermore can we have overdubbing on the recorded audio in part!??

FYI on the manual on page 58 this is explained and is a yes according to my understandings but I have the same problem with my esx and I can not hear anything after applying this technique!!

Please let me know if this is possible!

[/b]
King Duppy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So the actual question is: Using the above comment, can we store/record this input from the external device? Such that when the sequence starts you play something and then, when it starts over, you can hear what you just played in a loop. 

The answer is "sort of."

Now, the reason is that I say "sort of" is that you're really asking the ESX to do two things at once:

(1) Record input from an external device or resample audio from the ESX itself.
(2) Loop or trigger this audio in real-time.

The ESX lets you do (1), but not (2). For what you’re describing, you actually want a looper rather than a sampler. Something like this guy here.

This is because the ESX uses two totally different kinds of storage:

The first kind is your sample data, which are all your recorded sounds (.WAV files) in a bank.
    The second kind is “pattern data” — the data the ESX uses to know when to trigger your samples, how long they should play for, what parameters are around them, etc.

So the “pattern data” is what you’re actually “recording” when you hit RECORD in Pattern Mode (without adding the SHIFT key—we'll get to that in a sec). As Pastor-of-Muppets said, this doesn't recording audio at all—that would take up far too much disk space. Instead, you’re recording a set of instructions that tells the ESX how to play the samples it has in its memory.

However, by using these two kinds of storage, you can use manipulate a sample and save that as an all-new file by hitting “ SHIFT + RECORD." In fact, you can record any sound you make on the ESX as a new sample by using this feature.

This is resampling and it’s one of the most powerful features of the ESX.

Why? Because it lets you manipulate a sound however you like, use automation, etc., and then save that new sound as its own sample (that is, a new .WAV file in the ESX’s sample memory). You can then manipulate that sample as much as you like, and repeat the process as many times as your heart desires and your ESX's drive space allows you.

Using this technique, you can stack samples on top of each other indefinitely, and use that to create chords and fake polyphony, among other effects. In fact, as long as you’re careful with your disk space, you can overdub as many times as you like.

But unlike a looper, which records samples for instant playback, you can’t do this live, in real-time on the ESX.

Every time you record a new sample, you have to go into Sample Mode and save it as a new file, and then go into Pattern Mode to assign it to a pad before you can use it in a pattern.

Let me know if that makes sense!
-KD
sotokangr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for this extremely explanatory answer King Duppy!!
Yes it makes a complete sense right now.

Actually this was the bad case scenario I was expecting but couldn't find
a clear answer in the manual or on any google search.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: