Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Kronos fan noise louder than OASYS?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Is Kronos fan noise louder than OASYS? Reply with quote

Out of curiosity -

can anyone tell the Kronos fan noise is louder than the fan noise of OASYS?

Cheers,
Kevin
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By powers of deduction, we could almost conclude "yes".

Why?
Because there is not one single thread of 10 pages long, about the subject and pictures of people taking their Oasys apart to do custom mods on their fans.

Why?
Because the Oasys fan is larger, and general rule of thumb is, the larger the fan, the quieter it is. Also there is no wind shear in the direction of movement of the flow of air.

Why?
Because the Oasys has side panels that are meshed, allowing free flowing air to pass right through 'almost' unobstructed.
When wind flows into and hits a barricade, it has to traverse its direction, this leads to faint "whooshing" sounds.
The Oasys's fan sits at about 30 degree angle, not perpendicular (90 degrees) to the travel of air flow.
Therefore the blades cut the air at an angle and not head-on or as directly.

The Kronos's fan, I believe (judging from the few pictures) is:
1) Mounted on a plate, reducing direct air flow.
2) Mounted at 90 degrees to the travel of air.
3) No free flow from the grates/openings in the Kronos, therefore the fan has to struggle more to both push and suck the air.
4) Smaller fan size.
5) The plate is directly linked to the chassis of the whole keyboard, thus susceptible to vibrations when playing, these vibrations magnify/amplify the rotating torque of the fan, thus creating more "whoosh" sound.

The biggest differences are however, the size of fan and the mesh side panels that make most of the difference. (In my opinion)
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Kronos fan noise louder than OASYS? Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Out of curiosity -

can anyone tell the Kronos fan noise is louder than the fan noise of OASYS?

Cheers,
Kevin

My Oasys fan got louder and louder the last year I had it, although I did open it up a few times to check for dust and dirt. Maybe the bearings got worn out?

My Kronos 73 had a horrible fan noise, due to cheap fan, metal mounting and perhaps something else.

But I've been very succesful in replacing it, together with some other forum members.

Read here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65348

Now it's almost impossible to hear the fan, and this is really how it should have been from the beginning.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I disagree because I could also conclude that a very small few KRONOS users are being unreasonable and there is no issue whatsoever. It's their expectations that are the issue.

For example, you won't find a single OASYS user who says they find it hard to hear the fan, or that they don't hear it at all. Unless your completely deaf, you will have absolutely no problem hearing the OASYS fan right from the moment you turn the power on. Yet you never see an OASYS user complaining.

Regards
Sharp.
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
I disagree because I could also conclude that a very small few KRONOS users are being unreasonable and there is no issue whatsoever. It's their expectations that are the issue.

I am convinced that there are batches of the Kronos where the fan noise is way more prominent than it should have been. I had two of those, first a 61 and then a 73.

It's important to understand that we're not talking about a fan noise that could be percieved as slightly annoying: this was something else.

I don't know the exact technical reasons behind it, but I do know that I now have a fan that's hardly audible, and I had a fan that could be heard from more than 10 feet! The whole body of the Kronos was resonating, a sound reminescent of a small tractor..

That is unacceptable. If that makes me "unreasonable", well so be it.

But I'm happy now, my Kronos is as quiet as can be! Very Happy
maphill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Quote:

For example, you won't find a single OASYS user who says they find it hard to hear the fan, or that they don't hear it at all. Unless your completely deaf, you will have absolutely no problem hearing the OASYS fan right from the moment you turn the power on. Yet you never see an OASYS user complaining.

Regards
Sharp.

Sharp,

I don't think this is fair. First of all, I didn't like the fan on my OASYS either. Secondly, multiple people now have found a replacement that makes a big difference and has made people happier. All you are proving is that the fan noise doesn't bother YOU. But different people have different priorities, and and was posted, different KRONOSes probably have different volume fans (due to being out of balance, or whatever).

Anyway, to answer the original poster's question:

The OASYS fan had a fair amount of "hiss" or "turbulence noise" characterized by higher frequencies. Those with problems with the KRONOS fan are mainly (though not completely) hum-like, with some of the higher frequency, but not as much as the OASYS had.

The KRONOS has a 60mm fan, which are notorious for being hard to get quiet. There are recordings and pictures if you are able to find the relevant threads.

Mark
(Have had 1 OASYS and 2 KRONOSes, now the 2nd one is completely silent and I can leave it on while doing acoustic recordings)
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only noticed my Kronos 61 had a fan after reading the topics about it. However I have to be honest and say my computer which is next to it really makes a lot of noise (which disturbs me once and a while). Probably with a silent computer I would hear it better. But so far, I really don't mind about it and even with a silent computer I probably will not mind.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think this is fair. First of all, I didn't like the fan on my OASYS either.

Can you not see that what you have just said actually strengthens my comments?

If you think the fan in the KRONOS was loud, then sure... it only stands to reason that you would also be a person who would find the Fan in your OASYS too loud also.

This is why I think the problem is with peoples expectations and not the actual fan.

Quote:
Secondly, multiple people now have found a replacement that makes a big difference and has made people happier.

That proves nothing other than some people have different expectations on what is acceptable fan noise and by installing the best one they could get, they were happier.

That's just common sense. Stick a better fan in anything and you will get better results. It proves nothing other than common sense stands in this situation.

Quote:
All you are proving is that the fan noise doesn't bother YOU. But different people have different priorities, and and was posted, different KRONOSes probably have different volume fans (due to being out of balance, or whatever).

No, I'm trying to point out that the problem could very well be your expectations, nothing more. The mere fact that you also have an issue with your OASYS only strengthens what I'm saying.

I don't have a problem with the noise level I hear very clearly coming from my OASYS because my expectations are not as demanding as yours on this issue. There are far more important things to worry about, like writing a song.

Regards
Sharp.
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way, we know that for those who find the Kronos too loud for their tastes, it is possible to decrease the noise to acceptable levels with a fan mod.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
This is why I think the problem is with peoples expectations and not the actual fan.

That's just common sense. Stick a better fan in anything and you will get better results. It proves nothing other than common sense stands in this situation.

I also think my fan is way to loud. I agree with you that it is subjective and maybe my expectation was to high. All my computers in my studio are silent. They were treated with silent components and now i bought a Kronos for 5145 dollar and when it's on it has a fan noise sound that i can hear easely from 10 meters away (and probably further if i got the space).

Now maybe that's for you acceptable, but i think it's a bad design decision. Of course i'm not going to replace this fan myself. That would cost my warrenty and probably it could bring a lot of other problems to the keyboard when i did it.

But i really don't understand the negative tone on this forum. Whenever someone critisises something of the kronos then a lot of people are jumping in with really unpleasant comments to read about that there are no problems.

Of course there is a problem, why would people otherwise take the time to discuss this problems online?

Now that some people don't hear the fan (or only when they put their ear to the machine) could indicate that there are different fans used in the kronosses. Reading something like that makes me happy, because that way i know that there is a solution possible from korg.

But denying that there is a problem for some people because you don't experience it yourself is something people or moderators of a forum shouldn't do in my opinion.
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Kindly inform us as to what exactly is the correct expectation to have then.

Oh and people didn't complain about the Oasys because it was a first of a kind. They were willing to forgive the fan noise given the revolutionary nature of the instrument. But with the Kronos, that makes two now. Fool me once...
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> 10 meters away

30 feet away? Then yes, something is wrong with your unit.

There is no way you can hear the fan on mine from 30 feet away. AFAIK, no is denying that there are units that the fans are loud, but please don't say that all Kronos are like this. Mine is certainly not. Not even close.
NavidSyed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest I never had an OASYS so I didn't know what to expect, I had several workstations in the past, including the M3, Motif XS, and I was expecting a silent workstation to be used in my home studio, to my surprise the noise level was around 39-40 dBa double the noise of my desktop PC, now maybe that is acceptable to some but I personally after spending $3000 was expecting a less NOISY workstation, not to mention the over all built quality which is definitely worse than my M3, and I believe genuine complains should not be overlooked, as it give companies false reassurance that their products QC is optimal, which in case of KRONOS is not.. Embarassed
maphill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could hear the Kronos stock fan about 15 feet away assuming a quiet room. Maybe more. My OASYS was loud enough that I turned it off when I was recording acoustic guitar 4 feet from the exhaust area (so that bothered me as well).

My studio listening position is 2 feet from the Kronos (in other words the listening position and the playing position are basically the same). The stock fan was loud enough that I could hear it with my (full-ear-covering) headphones on.

And for me (granted, sensitive to this sort of thing), it kept me from critical listening (mixing) with the KRONOS on. It was interfering with my music-making process. Therefore I had to do something about it. And did.

I don't consider this a "problem with my expectations". A result of my expectations, or more precisely, desires? Sure. But saying it is a "problem with my expectations" implies that everybody should have the same expectations. Now granted, some people do have dumb expectations ("I want Korg to do exactly what I want right this instant", "I want infinite polyphony, etc."). But, I didn't even call Korg. I fixed it so it couldn't have been that unreasonable of a desire. You can't say that I'm "wrong" for letting it bother me any more than I can say you are wrong for letting these threads bother you.

Mark

P.S. For the record, I REALLY appreciate this forum, and given the option, I would support it with my money. Thanks Sharp.

P.P.S. I'm not an audiophile and I don't believe in the associated snake-oil. I'm a DSP audio engineer that used to work for Creative/E-Mu.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donjuancarlos wrote:
Either way, we know that for those who find the Kronos too loud for their tastes, it is possible to decrease the noise to acceptable levels with a fan mod.

Providing your happy to void your warranty.

Me personally, I think anyone who feels they are effected by a fault fan should do the normal thing which is to pick up the phone and call KORG Tech Support. Taking matters into your own hands is the last thing people should be doing.

Regards
Sharp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: