Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Kronos fan noise louder than OASYS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that either the problem is that the fan itself has some sort of problem where some of them are louder than others, or maybe more likely the mounting parts have a problem.

My Kronos is very quiet - within reasonable expectations. I would be concerned if I could hear it 30 feet away or if it was making a rumbling sound.

My MacBook Pro makes more noise to me. Actually as far as units with a fan, mine is pretty quiet.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very grateful for pointers and details to replacement fans for both OASYS and Kronos.

To eradicate subjective comparisons - is there anyone who owns both an OASYS and Kronos right now (not replacing one with the other) and who can compare the levels of the Fan noise from both?

Thanks,
Kevin
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madbeatzyo111 wrote:
Sharp wrote:
This is why I think the problem is with peoples expectations and not the actual fan.

Kindly inform us as to what exactly is the correct expectation to have then.

Oh and people didn't complain about the Oasys because it was a first of a kind. They were willing to forgive the fan noise given the revolutionary nature of the instrument. But with the Kronos, that makes two now. Fool me once...

Hey, people are big and ugly enough to make their own decisions on things.

Just because I say somthing doesn't make it so. I'm not God. This is a discussion forum where people voice their opinions. I just voiced mine. If you don't agree, that's perfectly fine. The function of the forum is to provide everyone with a platform to voice their opinions. It's up to you to make up your own mind from what you read and what you have experienced.

Regards
Sharp.
maphill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend contacting Korg support as well, unless you are willing to accept the possibility that your warranty could be voided (it's a definitely possibility, though we haven't seen it as a fact yet).

Mark
Oboemd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have O 88 and K 73. My Oasys is louder. The sounds are different, but neither has posed a problem Home, studio or live performance.
Fred S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a noisy fan, stuck keys, cut off notes, or any other problem I can isolate. With all the issues presented on the forum, I believe I should be able to find something, but nothing yet. I should probably stop reading Smile.

Seriously...my fan spools up for a second or so on start up, then quiets and stays quiet (barely audible). However, if it stayed as loud as it does on start up (I think that is what's happening on some units) that would be unacceptable. I'd be tearing into it and changing the fan. I think it's great that a silent fan solution was found here.
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same position as Fred S - no issues at all. My fan noise is exactly as he describes, a louder whirring for a second or two on power up, then down to very quiet. Not silent, but actually a little softer than my Oasys, I think. For both of them, I certainly can't hear either of them from the other side of the room, so typically, I'm not bothered at all.

jg::
Cpilot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My K61 is pretty quiet. I tested it with a sound meter but nothing registered. Only goes down to 50db though. If the fan starts to get noisy it's probably because the oil in the sintered bronze bearing is drying out. Take the fan out and put one drop of electric motor oil on the bush (NOT 3 in 1) and that shoud fix it. I do this on my computer fans once in a while. There's usually a piece of plastic tape over the bearing so peel it off gently so you can replace after oiling.

Bryan
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

I disagree because I could also conclude that a very small few KRONOS users are being unreasonable and there is no issue whatsoever. It's their expectations that are the issue.

For example, you won't find a single OASYS user who says they find it hard to hear the fan, or that they don't hear it at all. Unless your completely deaf, you will have absolutely no problem hearing the OASYS fan right from the moment you turn the power on. Yet you never see an OASYS user complaining.

Regards
Sharp.

Sorry to be an exception to the above Sharp - my OASYS is completely silent; no fan noise whatsoever. When I recently cleaned some 'sticky' switches, I did two things - 1) checked there was a fan in there! and 2) made sure it worked (which it did).

I simply don't hear it. Maybe mins is faulty and I should start complaining about it - "My OASYS doesn't have a fan noise - I want a replacement!"

Laughing Wink
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Oasys was quieter than my Kronos....no doubt!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Me personally, I think anyone who feels they are effected by a fault fan should do the normal thing which is to pick up the phone and call KORG Tech Support. Taking matters into your own hands is the last thing people should be doing.

Regards
Sharp.

I did. They told me that fan noise is normal. Confused

As far as warranty goes, I followed maphill's guidelines on the Kronos Fan Fix thread. I even used my own EMI/RFI Shield so I wouldn't have to cut any zip ties. If I ever had to send in my Kronos for warranty, I would simply hook the old fan back up. There is no way Korg could tell I used my own fan.
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donjuancarlos wrote:
Sharp wrote:

Me personally, I think anyone who feels they are effected by a fault fan should do the normal thing which is to pick up the phone and call KORG Tech Support. Taking matters into your own hands is the last thing people should be doing.

Regards
Sharp.

That's the answer I got too.

And that's why I replaced the fan myself.

Couldn't be happier!
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Unless your completely deaf, you will have absolutely no problem hearing the OASYS fan right from the moment you turn the power on.
Yet you never see an OASYS user complaining.

Sorry but I desagree here.

My OASYS was noisy as hell from the day first I´ve got it, and It´s nosier as time comes by.

I´ve checked other OASYS and those were noisy as well.

So, yes.
I did complain, and I still do now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madbeatzyo111 wrote:
Oh and people didn't complain about the Oasys because it was a first of a kind. They were willing to forgive the fan noise given the revolutionary nature of the instrument.

So true.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curvebender wrote:
donjuancarlos wrote:
Sharp wrote:

Regards
Sharp.

That's the answer I got too.

And that's why I replaced the fan myself.

Couldn't be happier!

when you sell your Kronos , are you going to disclose that you did a non factory modification ?

if their is a SSD failure/circuit board failure, I would think Korg service would see a different fan, and possibly point to that as a root cause.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: