Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So it's over! Korg offers $500 rebate for SV-1s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: So it's over! Korg offers $500 rebate for SV-1s Reply with quote

This in my opinion is the death knell for the SV-1. They are clearing them out with a rebate first, then they will clearance the rest of the stock out.

It's really a slap in the face for those of us that paid full price just a few months ago!

I was about to sell my Roland Juno G and purchase a korg X50, PS60 or M50 but I may want to re-evaluate this. Not to say that Roland acts any better to their customers though.

Really sad that they decided to de-value everyone's SV-1s in this manner. Resale value will be plummeting now. Sad
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't seem different to any electronics manufacturer clearing out the old stuff cheaper to make room for the new. Flatscreens, computers, cameras, phones... They all do it. It's no reason to get upset at Korg. It is one to get upset at the world in general though Wink
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Korg’s defense, yes this is just a normal business move. If they are going to get all of the fixes everyone wants they might as well do a whole new version of the board and old ones will have to be moved out.

On the other hand, I do think Korg could have easily taken another crack at fixing the editor for existing users. I don’t think the product should have gone out the door with the ridiculous drive settings it has.

I’ll bet you 5-10 years from now everyone will be looking for used SV1s. When someone goes onto a keyboard forum and asks that inevitable question, “What will give me a good Rhodes sound?” everyone will say, “Try and find an old SV1!”
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I’m back. The rebate offer made me pull the trigger and get another SV1. I’m going into it knowing the strengths/weaknesses this time and I’m very happy.

Secondly, this comes from a music store employee, but he claims a Korg rep told him an SV2 is NOT in the works. When I asked why they are doing the rebate the guy said they are making way for… ready… drum roll… duh, da, duh!!! An all black SV1.

This was just the music store guy telling me this so I don’t know if it’s true, but I guess the point is we shouldn’t assume anything right now because of the rebate.
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing. As a previous SV owner, I knew what to expect this time. My new SV-1 73 arrived a few days ago and I am loving it! I don't know, perhaps because my first was one of the early models, but this one seems a bit tighter in it's construction. Beautiful keybed with no clicks or other issues. It had the latest OS so it's from a newer batch. Got a killer deal on it! A discount coupon combined with the Korg rebate got me a brand new SV-1 plus a free 50 watt amp and X frame stand for $1099!!! As far as the SV-2, well if it ever materializes, I'll think about it, but it will most likely be out of my price range. All black? Not interested. I actually like the "Red Devil". I still had the SV editor on my computer and was able to load my old custom soundset. I guess a part of me knew my journey with the SV was'nt over. For now I'll enjoy it for what it is. Very Happy
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do like the look and feel of the SV-1, but unfortunately most places in Australia are still selling them for $1900-$2200, and the $500 rebate is specific to Korg USA I believe.

That sort of money is currently M3 territory, and as cool as the SV-1 is, I just don't think it's worth it.

For $1099, I'd take one - I think they'll be a classic one day, especially if they discontinue them soon.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
RogerL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: new or updated SV-1 Reply with quote

ShaunKorg wrote:
First, I’m back. The rebate offer made me pull the trigger and get another SV1. I’m going into it knowing the strengths/weaknesses this time and I’m very happy.

Secondly, this comes from a music store employee, but he claims a Korg rep told him an SV2 is NOT in the works. When I asked why they are doing the rebate the guy said they are making way for… ready… drum roll… duh, da, duh!!! An all black SV1.

This was just the music store guy telling me this so I don’t know if it’s true, but I guess the point is we shouldn’t assume anything right now because of the rebate.

well, I hope its a new SV-2 or an updated SV-1 with more then a boring all-black version (giant yawn, the red is much cooler anyway). One thing, the rebate offer ends just as NAMM 2012 starts, has Korg done this type of rebate offer in the past without introducing a new and updated model? If its the same SV-1 then why rebate up until NAMM, an all black version is no big deal.

I wonder if the salesman wasnt downplaying the possibility of a new version in order to make the sale now. I love the SV-1 but it does need some real improvements in the keyboard and piano sounds and its about time since I think it came out in 2009.

May all be my wishful thinking but I cant imagine any excitement over an all black version at NAMM.
Richkeys

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Rebate in UK Reply with quote

Just about to take teh plunge and get an SV1 - is there any sign of a rebate in the UK? or are we stuck with the normal price?
flyingace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now thanks to ShaunKorg & Komuso getting back into the fray, now this might actually be looking up!

Scenario:
If they get a broader base of users, it will be more worthwhile to update and support.

I sure hope so. I was on vacay in the bahamas all last week and was desperate to play my SV1! I played a grand they had in the bar but I'm so used to my SV's keybed, it was actually like playing a toy! ha ha

So I'm excited tonight after work to get back into my SV and just hit the ground running, not look back.

Thanks guys and welcome back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: