Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swapping a PX5d for a Pandora Mini ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Guitar Effects and Tuners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
occhju

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Swapping a PX5d for a Pandora Mini ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am seriously considering selling my PX5d to buy a Pandora Mini.

Given that I don't use the PX5 as an audio interface - I never got it working by the way -

Unless I have missed something, the Pandora Mini is nothing but the PX5d without the audio interface option.

Still, I can't help thinking there must something else that justifies such a price difference.

If any of you could enlighten me about it and share your experiences with me, I 'd greatly appreciate that.

Peace,

JD
diabluz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I thought the same and I got the Pandora Mini which seemed more comfortable and portable whereas the specs looked the same, unfortunately it did let me down.

Still might not be the case for everybody, I use the PX5D for harmonica, which has good response, good effects, and great sound quality even for recording, but when I got the Mini, I manually put the same numbers (the set-up files are not compatible) and sounded completely different, lack of bass and warmth, very distorted, the input dynamic range is also different, it easily clips (saturates). BTW it has no H/L switch, so I guess it just takes Hi-Z inputs which should be fine as my mics are Hi-Z too. Also the output is only for line/PA level, on the PX5D you could select the level for an amp.

I was attracted by the fact that the Mini has a real volume control, but another disappointment, at the maximum it only arrives at the level where the PX5D is at around 30%, I have to put the input of my mixer to the maximum to get a decent level (to be fair, headphones level is fine).

Maybe for guitar is a different story, but personally I would not change the PX5D for the Mini.

Cheers,
J.
occhju

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks J.

I'll definitely keep my PX5D then. The PX5D has a good output level and the effects are quite realistic. using headphones.

I like roots sounds...A guitar, a Vox or a Marshall, a Wha, a slight reverb, an overdrive and ROCK ON !

I managed excellent settings with the PX5D for ACDC, Van Halen or Satch sounds. Of course, it's not gonna challenge the progressive and responsive natural compression of a tube amp...As far as practising at night, it's a wonderful device.

My fear was that the Pandora Mini lacks this very sound thickness that the PX5D produces.

You seem to confirm my doubts...

Peace,

JD
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks diabluz for the solid review...I have thought about switching over to the pandora mini as well.

It is nice to know that the Pandora PX5D is still "bad ass" in comparison the the mini. So I will be hanging on to my PX5D.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
tiggie_00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Pandora Mini and I think its awsome.. I dont think its over distorted at all.. I also think it sounds BA if you run the head phone stereo out to a stereo input of a good home receiver. I was blown away how much better it sounded then my Marshall amp. I just used a 1/8 stereo to 2 rca Ipod output cord.. you can get a good Monster Cable version for just 20 bucks..

But if you wanna know what a Pandora Mini has extra? 400 total presets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Guitar Effects and Tuners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: