Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Round Robin with Wavesequencing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Round Robin with Wavesequencing? Reply with quote

I'd like to make some multisamples that use a round robin setup that cycles through different samples each time you hit the same key. The intention is to use multiple samples (Say a guitar) that each have a slightly different attack so you don't get a static re-triggering sound adding realism.

Reading the manual, it appears you can assign different velocities to wave sequencing as well as the oscillators (Up to Cool. What I don't see is if you can make a wavesequence that will STEP through upon keypress rather than velocity or time.

Is it possible? Is there a more efficient way to do this?

Thanks!
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this you have to edit the wavesequence on Global mode... Then you go to Wave Seq tab and then select Seq Parameter tab

On this page, you need to set RUN parameter to OFF. Doing this will stop the wavesequence to automatically move on each step.

Now, you need to activate NOTE-ON ADVANCE parameter so the wavesequence will move from each step everytime you press a note.

This will solve your issue Idea
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way to achieve those Dynamic Sounds and it works perfect for me is
to reEdit and reSave the same Program into few different Locations.
Each variation slightly different then the other one, some different filters
and velocites, some diff eq and fx...then in Combi, all of them Loaded at
the same time and all assigned to different Velocity zones...
Sometimes they Sound incredible how Dynamic they can be.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarPabl wrote:
For this you have to edit the wavesequence on Global mode... Then you go to Wave Seq tab and then select Seq Parameter tab

On this page, you need to set RUN parameter to OFF. Doing this will stop the wavesequence to automatically move on each step.

Now, you need to activate NOTE-ON ADVANCE parameter so the wavesequence will move from each step everytime you press a note.

That's great news. Thanks!
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarPabl wrote:

Exactly!

For more details on using Note-On Advance, such as how it interacts with loop settings, see:
Operation Guide -> Global Settings, Wave Seq., Drum Kits -> Using Wave Sequences -> Modulating Wave Sequences -> Note-On Advance
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
ron3113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a SUPER interesting necro-thread. I'm definitely coming late to the game, but because of this thread I am just realizing that wavesequencing may be a way to get nearer to effective translation of (some) Kontakt libraries to the Kronos. Not to mention wavetable style synthesis, which the manual hints at ("creating the distinctive sound of a famous German synthesizer").

My question is: Can we use note-on advance to setup round robin playing for drum kits? The use case mentioned by the OP (triggering different guitar samples to avoid 'machine gun' sounds) is "simple enough" given the excellent explanations given above. But how about drum kits where we need separate groups of samples on each note. Can we have one group of samples (e.g. 20 samples of the same bd) play round robin on C3, another groups (20 sd samples) on D3, and so on?
SKung

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is super interesting and in the last weeks I invested some vacation time to realise this.

First consideration was the question between using multisamples/wavesequences or drumkits. Drumkits do not allow wavesequencing and multisamples have no note-off possibilities which stop the playback of a open-hihat sample when a closed-hihat follows.

Only way to achieve some kind of round robin with drumkits i found would have been a weird drummap with several note-assignments for one drum type. For example, 5 keys assigned to kickdrum sounds for 5 round robins. But this would hade made editing way too complex and using existing (GM-) midifiles or drumtracks from the Kronos unusable.

So I went for multisamples with smaller flaws: To get around the open-hihat issue I just reduced the decay time for my open-hihat samples. Not very noticeable when a closed-hihat does not shut down the open-hihat. Wink

Next step was to get the samples into the Kronos. I used a soundfont editor on my computer and made several .sf2 files, divided into velocity layers and several round robins per layer.

After creating multisamples and wavesequences I started making a program with my wavesequences. Found out that the wavesequences did not advance through the samples in the program than it did in wavesequencing edit more.

Finally found a hint in the manual that told that the 'key sync' option is stored in the program, not in the wave sequence.

After enabling key sync in my program everything went fine and my drum tracks are on a new level.
Cool
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the wavesequencing features are great. The Key Sync parameter confused me at first, until I realized it was backwards to me. If you're making a rhythmic WS and want it to stay locked to temp, you should *not* select Key Sync. But if you want the WS to start immediately when you press the key (basically ignoring the clock), then you turn Key Sync *on*...

Both Key Sync and Swing are saved per Program, as you noticed. They can also be set individually in Combi mode. (Timbre/Wavesequence tab).

It's funny, just as I was pulling up to the driveway tonight, I was listening to some live drums where the drummer was grooving on the ride cymbal. And I thought, "you know, I could simulate that natural variation by using the round robin features in my Kronos WS engine." And then I turn on my computer and check this forum, and this WS post was right there.

Synchronicity! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: