Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using a mic with the Kronos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Using a mic with the Kronos Reply with quote

I am struggling to understand the best way to use a microphone with the Kronos. I have managed to hook a microphone up and can hear it through my monitors, but the sound is very saturated in reverb. I am having a difficult time understanding how to control that. I have tried messing with the audio settings in global mode, and have played with the control surface to adjust panning, etc. But for some reason I cannot adjust the effects mix.

Help?
Hooch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really go direct in with a mic without some kind of pre amp.
Otherwise it sounds all sizzle and no steak.

Hope that helps.

Hooch
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos audio inputs include a pre-amp. The audio is loud and crisp, just heavily saturated in effects. I am sure there is something I am not understanding about the effects bus routing. I am a bit lost.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidnightPackage wrote:
The Kronos audio inputs include a pre-amp. The audio is loud and crisp, just heavily saturated in effects. I am sure there is something I am not understanding about the effects bus routing. I am a bit lost.

This is covered by Korg's online tutorials. The one on "sequencer mode" covers this. It starts around 6:31 but you should definitely watch the entire video to understand what's going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JHf1XqzBOU&list=FLPhc55XGLXIWzmG8_D3cQfg&index=4&feature=plpp_video
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I think I am not being entirely clear about what I want to do. I am not really trying to record, I am trying to use the mic for live performance. I want to turn on my Kronos, go into combi mode, select a combi, pull my microphone up to my mouth, and sing. When I do this, the audio signal is loud and clear, but 100% wet with effects. I believe I need to change some settings in global mode, under the audio tab. But I have no idea what to change.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidnightPackage wrote:
Thank you. I think I am not being entirely clear about what I want to do. I am not really trying to record, I am trying to use the mic for live performance. I want to turn on my Kronos, go into combi mode, select a combi, pull my microphone up to my mouth, and sing. When I do this, the audio signal is loud and clear, but 100% wet with effects. I believe I need to change some settings in global mode, under the audio tab. But I have no idea what to change.

Why not just go right into a mixing console or PA? Your Kronos is obviously going thru something to enable you to hear it... just do the same thing with your mic!
On the other hand, if you watch the video tutorial I linked to in my previous message, that may give you a clue as to what you might need to do to accomplish what you want (start at 6:31). It might (or might not) help you.
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have watched the video. Thank you for sharing it. Unfortunately, it does not provide any insight. What I want to do seems so incredibly simple. But I am very new to these types of keyboards, and clearly I am just ignorant when it comes to effects routing. I have spent the last couple of hours trying to adjust the effects mix and cannot get my head around this. I think it's time for bed Smile
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to bypass the global input routings for your combi. Since the fx vary greatly per combi, this will only confuse you all the more. Go to your combi and find the (sampling?/)input page. Here, make sure it's set to use its own settings over the global settings.

You should also be able to set where the mic signal goes from here (straight to an output or to an ifx slot). For now, make it go to the main outs (L/R). You should also see two sends here, which determine how much of the input signal is sent to each of the two MFX. Usually, these are at least a reverb and probably a chorus or something. Fiddle with those and you should be able to get a signal from all the way dry to very wet.

Hope this isn't too cryptic for you! Good luck!
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidnightPackage, you don't say what you're wanting to do with Kronos other than sing through it. Play different factory Combis? Custom combis you've made yourself? Songs in Seq mode?

SanderXpander's approach is valid, and may very well be the way to go eventually, but if you want to flick through factory Programs/Combis while singing, the following will quickly do what you want....

Don't touch anything in Prog/Combi mode, since by default, all of the factory ones are set to use the Global Audio settings.

Go to the Global Audio page, and you'll see the 6 Audio inputs. Check that the Bus Select is set to L/R. Then adjust Send 1 and Send 2 to change the Master Effects amounts. Send 2 is probably it, since most factory Programs and Combis use Master Effect 2 for reverb.

If this doesn't work, you'll need to give us more info about what you're doing.

Everything will make sense when you wake up! Smile

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I assumed you wanted to get it 'perfect' for that combi. Jg's setting is much more useful for a more generic approach. The great thing is you can do both; make generic settings globally and then choose per combi/program whether or not to override/bypass the global setting.
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what to say guys. I came home from work tonight and turned the Kronos on, and it all worked correctly. I have no idea what state it was in last night, but I could not hear any of the original signal and didn't seem to have any control over the mix. I read your responses to my posts today at work, and I was certain I had tried all of that. Clearly I messed something up and should have rebooted the keyboard. And maybe I had just one too many martinis while trying to fix the problem Smile

Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses. I did learn a bunch from you and I appreciate the time you took to respond.
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Everything will make sense when you wake up!

Very Happy

MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol ... you called it, for sure Smile
beachgig

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a similar problem. All I want is a little reverb for the mic. I'm in sequencer mode. I can set it up either in global settings or in audio sampling in sequencer mode. It works great, but when I switch to another sequence then come back to the one I adjusted, I have to adjust it all over again. What am I doing wrong?
fselles

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!! Which mode will you use for live performance with your kronos plus a mic to sing and a guitar? Sequencer? Combi? thanks!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: