Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Gig with Kronos last night
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
britkeys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: First Gig with Kronos last night Reply with quote

Brilliant!!

Was playing on a musical theatre review show: piano, bass, drums, and me covering all the rest on Kronos61 and M3 61. Won't talk about M3 so much here, but my thought on Kronos are..

Nothing crashed or was weird, sigh of relief!

Sounds were great! I used Kronos in Setlist, which was so perfect for what i needed.

Quite alot of strings, I mixed a couple of the programs into my own combi to taste. Sounded lovely.

Hammond in Seasons of Love was beautiful, and having drawbars on the fly great, as don't really get much in the way of rehearsal, so hard to predict how things will sound in the mix.

Full pipes on Phantom of the Opera were great, and switching to strings while holding a chord on organ was just so handy!

Electric guitars sounded great in Time Warp and Mamma Mia.

Brass sounded great too, despite my earlier post if u saw that one!

In in all a very satisfying night, Kronos kicks @$$!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers to all at Korg!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that you like the Kronos ... due to looking for a new singer/guitarist I will not have a gig soon, but I'm looking forward to have a nice first gig with my Kronos too.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed it!

Can't wait to try it too.
CaptLego

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend was my first live gig with the Kronos, as well. I'd been using it in rehearsals, and all has been fine, so I went with it for the show. It's a K88 and has some infrequent cutoff notes issues, but it's been fine for what I need it to do. After the show closes, I'll take it in for the keybed update.

The show is the musical, Hairspray! My parts are mostly strings, brass, piano, harp, and some .wav sound effects. I'm using the setlist, and especially appreciate the smooth sound transition feature. This is the first keyboard I've owned with a built in sampler, and it's nice to not need to bring a separate rackmounted sampler to the gig.

In previous shows, I've sometimes used Roland strings, but didn't like that the samples themselves had too much reverb. For live theater, you need more of a dry sample, letting the auditorium acoustics provide the ambience and blending in with the real string section. On the Kronos, I'm able to adjust the reverb efx to get the sound I need.

The only problem I've had is that the angle of the touchscreen is inconvenient, since it reflects the music stand light right into my eyes, making the display hard to read with the glare. But I know where each of my patches is in the setlist, so it's still workable.

Our next show is Aida, and I'm looking forward to using the Kronos for that one. Elton John threw everything into the score for that one... Pianos, electric pianos, DX7 patches, analog (Moog) sounds, layers, splits, .. The works. The last time I did that show, it took three keyboards plus a rack of modules. This time, I expect the Kronos to do it all. It's one of the reasons I bought the Kronos.
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine a few weeks back and have another one this coming friday. It worked great. I was showing a few people my setup and they were blown away at the whole setlist mode (and the notes feature). Plus, the ability to use the K as the centerpiece for both audio and midi (single out to the house) without an external mixer or effects unit (like a compressor) was awesome.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
keekma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptLego wrote:
This weekend was my first live gig with the Kronos, as well. I'd been using it in rehearsals, and all has been fine, so I went with it for the show. It's a K88 and has some infrequent cutoff notes issues, but it's been fine for what I need it to do. After the show closes, I'll take it in for the keybed update.

The show is the musical, Hairspray! My parts are mostly strings, brass, piano, harp, and some .wav sound effects. I'm using the setlist, and especially appreciate the smooth sound transition feature. This is the first keyboard I've owned with a built in sampler, and it's nice to not need to bring a separate rackmounted sampler to the gig.

In previous shows, I've sometimes used Roland strings, but didn't like that the samples themselves had too much reverb. For live theater, you need more of a dry sample, letting the auditorium acoustics provide the ambience and blending in with the real string section. On the Kronos, I'm able to adjust the reverb efx to get the sound I need.

The only problem I've had is that the angle of the touchscreen is inconvenient, since it reflects the music stand light right into my eyes, making the display hard to read with the glare. But I know where each of my patches is in the setlist, so it's still workable.

Our next show is Aida, and I'm looking forward to using the Kronos for that one. Elton John threw everything into the score for that one... Pianos, electric pianos, DX7 patches, analog (Moog) sounds, layers, splits, .. The works. The last time I did that show, it took three keyboards plus a rack of modules. This time, I expect the Kronos to do it all. It's one of the reasons I bought the Kronos.

Thats great to hear. Im curious. Which string and brass programs do you use the most in your play.

Former keyboards:
Yamaha s90es, Virus TI snow, Roland xp30, Roland u20, Roland juno 6
CaptLego

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keekma wrote:

Thats great to hear. Im curious. Which string and brass programs do you use the most in your play.

The keyboard is still at the theater, so I can lookup the exact patches later, if you want. For string, we have a couple live violins and cellos, so I'm mostly providing fullness to the sound. I'm using a slightly tweaked version of symphony strings, plus a tremelo section and pizz on occasion. For brass, I load that extra EXs (3?) with brass sounds. I use a variety of full brass section, saxes, and splits brass/Bari sax, trumpets/saxes, trumpets/trombones. For the most part, I'm happy with the brass sounds, but some get kinda squeaky at the highest register. I need to work on brass patches for those high notes.

I've been doing these shows for many years now, and over time my criteria have changed a bit. I no longer worry that the patches are "realistic" - i.e. I don't care if the bari sax sounds can fool a bari sax player. I only care if it sounds good.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used my 73 key Kronos for 2 gigs with my blues band and 2 sundays ago I brought it out to a jams at my local pub. So far it has just knocked everybody out with the sound quality. I've got a jam set-list and also one for the blues-band. In these situations I'm sitting down and I also do that in rehearsals with my hard rock band. I'm curious to see how the screen will be when I'm standing up but I expect it to be better than when I'm sitting.

As far as I'm concerned there there is no better keyboard to play live in a band situation. I can't speak for those who use backing tracks as I've never used them but for straight ahead playing, this beast rocks!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
CaptLego

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the first show with the Kronos is over, and the K88 goes in for the keybed replacement today. I have to say it was a great success. I had several members of the orchestra comment on how great the Kronos sounded.

There was a running joke about bari saxes and chainsaws ..Q) what's the difference between a bari sax and a chainsaw? A) vibrato
So when I get the K88 back, I'll need to get to work on a chainsaw patch - with vibrato.

Shocked

over the years, I've done a lot of shows. I've used the trusty Roland xp80 with an assortment of SR-JV cards (creating some sounds from scratch, loading new sets of patches from floppy disc between songs, occasionally using the sequencer, and controlling external midi gear), a S90 with the DX7, VA, and physical modeling cards (trying to program those things and incorporate them in combis was a nightmare - something I never mastered), a VK8 for organ, and an assortment of MIDI modules (korg, Kurtz, and Akai Z8 for sampler).

As far as I'm concerned, the Kronos replaces and is superior to all that stuff combined, except for the waterfall keyboard of the VK which I will keep around for occasions where I really need it. (should work great as a second manual for the Kronos)

I like to evaluate things with a couple criteria: 1) how easy is it to do the basic things (in this case, stuff like basic sounds, splits, layers, switching between sounds in live performance, triggering custom sound effects, etc) and 2) how far will it take you before running out of gas. - are the advanced capabilities there when you need them? Even if they're a bit complicated or obscure, it's good to know that when you need the capability, it can be accomplished. For this stuff, I depend on a flexible tool that's been developed by people with a lot more experience and knowledge than I have.

A truly great product excels on both criteria, and I think the Kronos qualifies.
Sometimes, it's the pleasant little surprises (balanced outputs!) that delight me.

I haven't even begun to scratch 1% of the surface of what the Kronos can do, and am looking forward to many years of exploration and enjoyment.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptLego wrote:
So when I get the K88 back, I'll need to get to work on a chainsaw patch - with vibrato.

I have one. Smile I love it for electronic music. It's not a real chainsaw, it's a snippet of a waveform that I mangled.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
lesfarrington

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: LIVE SHOWS and the KRONOS Reply with quote

i am reading posts about the Kronos and Bugs and Keybeds. i have to say, i am either LUCKY or those experiencing problems are the unfortunate few. i have had NOTHING but excellence throughout.
Ive had mine since late MAY 2011 and i have had NO bugs, NO freezes, NOT A SINGLE ISSUE.
and for live shows there is nothing at ALL that can touch it.
The SET LIST is simply brilliant.
i did a big show back in August and the Korg performed perfectly . the screen made it a JOY to switch between songs.
I have a 61 key version so I am not sure about any problems with the 61.
IF YOU ARE THINKING OF GETTING A KRONOS BUT ARE AFRAID OF THE PROBLEMS OTHERS ARE HAVING, i for one am NOT one of them and I HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE KRONOS. its a masterpiece.
i have read some complaints that it feels like a toy. I HAVE NO IDEA what they are talking about. it feels solid to me.
ive owned something like 20 synths. there are more solid feeling synths ONE Being the BLOFELD keyboard which is built like a TANK. but the Kronos is reasonably solid considering the price/performance ratio. STOP COMPLAINING> they have given the world a fantastic machine.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to be using the Kronos for another gig with the blues band tonight. Got my set list all organized. I'm going to be using my new speaker cabinet I had custom built for the first time.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is the Gig Report!

The Kronos simply killed everyone.

My new speaker is another story. In close proximity it sounded fantastic. Very hi fi. Crystal clear. The problem I had was it simply doesn't project. In order for the audience to hear me I had to run at levels that are beyond stupid.
Oh well. Back to the drawing board.
If I can get the fidelity that the current cabinet has combined with projection then I've got it made.
No, we don't run through a P.A.
Small club gig but with Nads!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
Well, this is the Gig Report!

The Kronos simply killed everyone.

My new speaker is another story. In close proximity it sounded fantastic. Very hi fi. Crystal clear. The problem I had was it simply doesn't project. In order for the audience to hear me I had to run at levels that are beyond stupid.
Oh well. Back to the drawing board.
If I can get the fidelity that the current cabinet has combined with projection then I've got it made.
No, we don't run through a P.A.
Small club gig but with Nads!

If your monitors don't reach far, put them on stands (if not already done).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like reading about gigs. Thanks for sharing.

It's a great keyboard for gigs isn't it? My 73 doesn't show any sign of problems, aside from human error.

Embarassed

I've been wanting to say this from day one:

Man I'm so happy I got this unit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: