Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What I think of the sv1!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh. Those might be RX noises or what ever Korg calls them. Korg added extra mechanical noises to the samples to increase realism. There is a way to turn it off but I forget how. Check the manual.

Here is the my SV1 wurly.

http://www.swansonillustration.com/Turn_Me_On.mp3
stemart

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I think Iv'e got it sorted.........because I can be a hard hitter at times I've had the "touch" on all sounds on 7 & when I reduced them to 6 the thing stopped playing up. Seems it was just set on too sensitive to be played too soft.....phew!!!

That's a cool band you've got!! Your Wurli sounds great!
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It's actually just me on piano and guitar with backing tracks I made in Mixcraft.
stemart

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes it even cooler.....nice mix!!

Mixcraft seems like a good program to play with & not real expensive!
dbt23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m writing this as some one who has owned multiple keyboards (Rhodes 73, Rhodes suitcase 88, Wurlitzer EP, various Roland and Yamaha products); and pianos.

Got my SV1 73 in late November. It has an RH3 keybed noted as ‘from Japan’; which may be different (newer model?) than those that others may own. It came with the original sound pack and operating system. Nice quality, and construction and great functionality in the ‘knobs; no more LCD screens; or multitudes of tweaks that may not be needed for a ‘vintage’ keyboard player. I had sold off a Roland RD700SX prior to this.

Keyboard action; still ‘assessing’. Note that keyboards and piano brands all have differences in action/feel. RH3 has a solid feel, but seems to be slightly heavy….something to get used to…and as I recall, not too far from that of a Rhodes.

Editor interface is exceptional. I loaded the updated OS, original sounds, and both sound packs 1 and 2 into the editor, and proceeded to pick the sounds that I wanted to apply to the keyboard, tweak settings, key touch; volume, creating a custom load out of the original sounds including some from the two ‘packs’.

Having been a piano and Rhodes and (acoustic) piano player, key sounds assigned to my key Favorites are:
1- Grand Piano 1A
2- Grand Piano 2A
3- Tine EP/Amp
5- Acoustic Bass and Piano
6 - Fretless Bass and Elect Piano
(touch/weight setting of 3)
…the rest ‘open’ available for a quick save
The two Acoustic pianos from latest sound pack 2 are very good, better, than those on my former Roland RD700SX, and seem to be comparable in quality to my KAWAI grand.

For tunes using the Rhodes/Wurly/elect piano sounds, I like all the bolt-on functions; Wah, effects, reverbs, etc. – nice collection of add-ons – well done…..

Suggested improvements or enhancements – would make this and similar products EVEN BETTER.

A. Editor.

- Would be nice to print out the applied sounds and Favorites for reference, especially if you have mixed those from several sound packs and renamed them….
- For the newer ‘split’ (SP2) sounds, would like to be able to re-assign a left hand sound (as an example Acoustic or Elect bass) to any of the other ‘right hand’ sounds. Being able to do this via the editor may be an (lower cost) option to actually adding SPLIT button, etc. on the board.
- I’m aware that the volume of the left hand (split) sound can be varied with the RX controls.

B. SPLITS.
1) Canned splits in Sound Pack 2 (with Acoustic Bass, electric bass) - a nice option; however, could use some optional Bass sound(s) with more bass delay/decay. Currently, as soon as you release the note (for most of the Bass splits) it essentially ends. Some additional samples of Acoustic with longer sustains would be an excellent option. When a player plucks (walking) an acoustic bass, typically this results in a delay longer than exists in current samples .. longer sustain option(s) would go for either Acoustic, electric or even Synth bass.
As an example (Ray Brown bass)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ahyolz9Zh0

2) And, of course a true split with varying split point (item 1 above however has been a good start).

C. Tube. I understand the replacement is complicated; with some notable disassembly of the keyboard. Tubes can last a long time – or not. For a gigging player, many carry spare tubes for their Amps. It would make sense to be able to quickly change the tube if needed.

D. Keybed. As I first observed above, still assessing the response. It seems to be harder to play (slower response) than others, however the quality (of mine at least) is very good. The SV1 is the ‘house’ digital piano; don’t seem to be able to play (runs, etc.) as quickly with this as with my other 25lb ‘cheap’ (at least in price) gigging board.

As noted earlier, the feel of this keybed as I recall if very similar to Rhodes, which may very well have been the model…. and, I’ve gotten used to working within the 73 keys on the SV1 vs. an 88 (the weight of the 73 key version was a factor). All-in-all, it’s the instrument I’m most drawn to; to play and explore.

Summary; this a great piano/keyboard having a very functional, user-interface design. Interesting, that at the NAMM show, other than new colors, the ‘vintage piano’ is still the SV1.
davidt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re:A print out
I did start work on printing out the soundbanks, but only got as far as the names.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60020

It looks like a lot of work to reverse engineer the full file format.
If anyone has succeeded I'd see if I could enhance the printout.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: