Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FIXED! BAD PEDAL!!! damper, too much/too little/no decay...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyogen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: FIXED! BAD PEDAL!!! damper, too much/too little/no decay... Reply with quote

JUST WANTED TO REPORT BACK THAT THE ISSUE WAS THE PEDAL THIS WHOLE TIME. I BOUGHT A CHEAP ONE AT GUITAR CENTER AND PROBLEM SOLVED.

COULDN'T BE MORE HAPPY WITH THE SV-1 NOW.

like i have posted in the past, I have either gotten NO effect with the damper pedal or wayy too much (will not decay pretty much at all especially with some sounds)..

i FINALLY (i don't know how) after doing the calibration thing (with just 1 pedal for damper) many times and changing soundpacks.... I HAD a perfectly working pedal (except in the reverse). So, I would have to tap it to get it to start sustaining....and then press it down when I wanted it to stop.

that was decent to deal with.....because I had great control over the sustain just like in a normal piano.....

however, I recalibrated it again, reset the SV-1 to factory settings, hoping that now I could just get it to be the right polarity with the same normal sustain effect.......and now it IS the right polarity, but very little sustain. It's there, but just quite not long enough. I have to hold down the keys for extra time for it to sustain a little bit more, which is still a little less than what I want (think normal piano sustain pedal)...

I've tried changing sound packs. recalibrating the pedal. It's a Korg ds-1h pedal which is the replacement for the one it comes with (my sv-1 didn't come with a pedal b/c i bought it used) and I called Korg and it should work perfectly. the DS-2h is not available for purchase also.

Please help!

Does everyone just hold down the keys longer than a normal piano to get enough sustain?

Thanks!

otherwise, I love my sv-1...hasn't given me any other issues that other people are talking about.

Last edited by hyogen on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems very weird. Maybe you can take it to a dealer and plug a few different pedals in to see how they sound.
hyogen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so yours sounds completely fine and works pretty much JUST like any normal piano?

i heard that sound pack 2's pianos have longer sustain... .i've tried that and i'm not sure if i can tell much of a difference.

Am i incorrect in thinking that the sound should not decay at all until you let go of the pedal?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like with a regular piano, the sound should start decaying immediately after hitting a key, whether you hold the pedal or not. And there really shouldn't be any difference in decay time between holding the key or pressing the pedal. All a pedal does in a real piano is prevent the felt dampers from falling back down on the strings, which is exactly the same as what holding the key does.
hyogen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your replies. I might have had unrealistic/unwanted expectations from sustain then...

it seems easier to play more smoothly on a normal piano because the sustain lasts i think at least twice as long as the sv-1s..

so is there any way to make the notes hold a little longer? calibrating only adjusts the polarity, right?

thank you!!
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
All a pedal does in a real piano is prevent the felt dampers from falling back down on the strings, which is exactly the same as what holding the key does.

And where does that leave sympathetic resonances? Confused Not that it changes a lot for most electronic instruments, but some are built to take this into account, too. I don't know which concept the SV-1 adopts, though... And probably it doesn't change a lot for the problem hyogen raised, but just saying it for the sake of accuracy.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but I was talking about sustain length of the fundamental. Sympathetic resonance does very little about that. If you really want to nitpick, there is also sympathetic resonance if you hold down other keys which contain frequencies also in the original keys.

In other words, yes there is a difference, but no it isn't at all relevant to the OPs question.

Relevant to the OP is however the soundset upgrade, which among other things contains better pianos.
hyogen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.. I guess what I feel this really lacks is resonance/ringing. Even when i hold keys down or a long time it just doesn't ring quite enough..
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
If you really want to nitpick...

Yes, yes, yes - nitpicking is all meeeee! Smile

No, but honestly... Generalisations like 'all a pedal does' and 'isn't at all relevant' should be used carefully. 'What a pedal does is similar' and 'probaly not significant' might be closer to the truth - and less prone to misinterpretation in lack of common reference points.

Yes, I agree that the OP's problem is likely related to the soundset, rather than some finetuning that the SV-1 doesn't lend to easily, anyways - and I assert you're right that this is the bottom line for the OP. However, it does not justify 'all a pedal does', and particularly so when talking about an acoustic (or 'regular') piano - as opposed to most electronic instruments, where what you've described is indeed all it does in most cases.
Quote:
And probably it doesn't change a lot for the problem hyogen raised, but just saying it for the sake of accuracy.
hyogen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can i finetune this using the editor to give me way more resonance/ringing?

thanks!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I agree with you, Synthjoe. I didn't want to needlessly complicate things for the OP but I could've used different wording. I'm not a fan of generalizations myself.
hyogen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUST WANTED TO REPORT BACK THAT THE ISSUE WAS THE PEDAL THIS WHOLE TIME. I BOUGHT A CHEAP ONE AT GUITAR CENTER AND PROBLEM SOLVED.

COULDN'T BE MORE HAPPY WITH THE SV-1 NOW.
DrGraypFroot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hello everyone Wink

Since this post looks to me that it never really has been resolved, I'm going to give my opinion/thoughts about it, because I recently faced the same issue.

It is, in fact, true that the DS-1H damper pedal (with half-dampening) is not compatibel with the SV 1. When I plug it in and press the sustainpedal down, the sound only gets half-sustained, which is really bad. The reason for this is unknown and not even Korg Technical Support could give us (me and my local piano shop owner) any information whatsoever. My piano mechanic said that the different resistance for "half-" and "full-dampening" not being recognized by the SV 1 could be a reason, since the piano only goes into half-dampening when I push the pedal down completely. Not even re-calibrating the pedal over and over again on the SV 1 would solve this issue..

This is an unfortunate thing, considering that the DS-1H is a very solid pedal and in my opinion, the DS-2H, which comes with the SV 1 originally, is a flimsy piece of s***.

Since my SV 1 never got shipped with the original pedal (I bought it used), I bought the DS1H initially just to go back to the shop and change it for a M-Audio pedal which was 50 bucks cheaper than the DS1H and works just fine. Uffh. Well, at least it works now I guess. Would've been really happy if the DS-1H worked though...

I'm fine with sacrificing half-dampening, my main concern is a working pedal.

So Korg, please, for future generations facing the same issue:

-Fix this incompatibility problem, or
-Inform the consumer about it in the product description

Hope I could help anyone and noone ever has to hassle through the same issues in order to get their sustain running. The only important thing when you buy any cheap dampening-pedal is that you match the polarity with the SV 1's. On some pedals (including my M-Audio) there is a switch for this. Otherwise you can simply calibrate the pedal (reference the manual of the SV 1 for this.)

Hope this advice helped...

Greetings

A new forum member.
Twemothy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: SV1 pedal woes Reply with quote

I would just like to update the general public about my horrible experiences with SV1 so that people won't walk away from this thread with the wrong perception that sv1 sustain pedal has no issues with it.

First of all, why does Korg wire pedals differently for different versions of their digital pianos? I initially bought the DS-1H for my sv1, realised it didn't work. After which, spent another $80 bucks buying DS-2H as it is the recommended pedal. It stopped working 2-3 months down. It started doing half dampening all the time.
I am very disappointed with Korg. They are selling half baked goods at premium prices which they market as new technology.

I would rather have no half dampen and a working pedal. That's it, no more Korg pedals for me. I'm getting m audio sp2 with polarity switch to save my monies and frustration with all these different sustain requirements on different brands of digital pianos.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humidity levels in Singapore are amongt the highest in any location on the planet. Any electronics devices, not just Korg, are more likely to suffer degradation and damage from high humidity, especially if they have apertures open to the atmosphere and have low or no power consumption, or are stored in places where the temperature can vary widely. The half dampening action of the pedal may be a symptom of storage in high humidity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidity#Electronics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: