Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forum moderators, Korg and keeping to one thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
philmagnotta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Forum moderators, Korg and keeping to one thread Reply with quote

Hi Sharp:

Regarding your recommendation(s) to post this topic at the keybed issues topic instead...

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=66756&sid=58c8b437f34969e88c2bda73a777f261

Although the OP had mentioned keybed issues, it covered general issues, as well, and should not be "AS IS" entered to the keybed post unless you feel that general complaints from others as well should also be posted there.
You made this recommendation at least one other time.

What we all need as valued customers and future customers as well, are clearly labeled topics specific to the issues or a general issues sticky with categories- however you feel it displays best.

This is the only visible site I'm aware of for Kronos.
Korg may not be required officially to respond but they are not officially required NOT to respond as evidenced.
It is in Korg's best interests to participate and we provide many useful functions for them for free as is the trend with manufacturers who can not or are unwilling or can not afford to fully beta-test, field test, etc.
This forum does provide for Korg valuable data on this or any product especially when in early release state.
Korg can not maintain consistent performance/reliability/future product planning without direct feedback from customers.
The reminders that this is not Korg service and or that they are not required to respond should instead be replaced with a reminder to post or start topics with respectful and mature writing style only.

I can not overemphasize this enough.
This forum is very important to the proper deployment and improvement to Korg products. It should be open and free to provide essential feedback, which without, would require Korg to spend money for much, much more field testing, which in reality is provided already here and at a cost to the customer which in turn, is provided for free to Korg.

I believe the often stated reminders about Korg not needing to respond is not sensible.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum moderators, Korg and keeping to one thread Reply with quote

philmagnotta wrote:
I believe the often stated reminders about Korg not needing to respond is not sensible.

I also believe that it is their OBLIGATION to respond, they HAVE to respond,
it is insensitive when someone says they dont have to...of course they HAVE
to, its where their Millions of dollars come from...they dont even have their
own place or Forum except this and from NOW on...
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit of balance here would be good:

1. Korg INDIRECTLY supports this forum by hosting it on their servers

2. Korg has agreed that Sharp should continue to run the forum as his and independent of Korg

3. Presumably that means Korg a) sees the value in having a Korg community and b) do understand that customer feedback/ideas is of value

4. The value to the members of this forum is that it is a community. Learn, share, hang out and have fun (but not at anyone's expense)

5. It is totally understandable why Korg staff don't post here - some won't be authorised. Others will be told not. Sometimes industrial confidentiality is at play. There is an official mechanism for reporting faults - and it's not here

6. Yes, it would be nice if Korg responded to all topics (there are a few OASYS topics I would love Korg to respond to!) - but if they don't respond, there is a reason; we just don't know what it is yet.

7. Just because Korg is silent does not mean they don't recognise the issue - or that they're not working on it.

Am just sayin' so that this topic stays real - trust me, I have been infuriated by Korg's silence in the past on KF, but at the end of the day, they are a corporation, they have rules and policies - and most importantly, they want good product out there, because that's how they make money.

Sometimes that will mean that some of us feel not considered any more - so just as well we have this place to come to Smile

And remember if KF was owned and moderated by Korg, I would guess that 75%, if not more, of the posts here wouldn't get published!
philmagnotta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should remember that the product testing, evaluation done here must be conducted as if we worked for the company, so to speak.
This means that even if one is angered about the performance of their purchase- remarks, comments, recommendations to Korg should be written as maturely and in as controlled manner that Korg itself displays.
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum moderators, Korg and keeping to one thread Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
philmagnotta wrote:

This isn't their official forum! Demand they respond by contacting KORG, not the forums that Sharp set up!
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum moderators, Korg and keeping to one thread Reply with quote

PinkFloydDudi wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:
philmagnotta wrote:

This isn't their official forum! Demand they respond by contacting KORG, not the forums that Sharp set up!

+1.
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:

Does that mean that all web hosting services "indirectly" are supporting everyone they host?
Where these forums are hosted has nothing to do with any bit of "support".

Does "GoDaddy.com" support my band because I use them as a host? That is an absurd comparison
Quote:

2. Korg has agreed that Sharp should continue to run the forum as his and independent of Korg

Which means they support the way that Sharp handles these forums. Which in turn means you should respect and support the way that Sharp handles these forums and when he tells you to do something, do it...or leave his forums. Very simple I would think, yet so difficult for some.
Quote:

3. Presumably that means Korg a) sees the value in having a Korg community and b) do understand that customer feedback/ideas is of value

From my understanding, Korg reps MAY come on here at their own time. If you want anything officially done with your problem, you should....
CONTACT KORG SUPPORT

That is the way to get an official ticket opened for your problem. Posting on here does nothing!
Quote:

4. The value to the members of this forum is that it is a community. Learn, share, hang out and have fun (but not at anyone's expense)

There is no fun to be had for us Kronos owners when the forum is flooded with people complaining about the same things and demanding Korg respond to them.

None at all.

You bury topics like the one that Runningman made showing how he used his Kronos to add sound to a video.

Thats fun to you?

I must accept partial blame as well (as others on our "side" of things)...for we complain about complainers! That doesn't get anything either. But hey, if it is going to be flooded with posts that don't belong, might as well stick some in where we can!
Quote:

5. It is totally understandable why Korg staff don't post here - some won't be authorised. Others will be told not. Sometimes industrial confidentiality is at play. There is an official mechanism for reporting faults - and it's not here

Bingo
Quote:

6. Yes, it would be nice if Korg responded to all topics (there are a few OASYS topics I would love Korg to respond to!) - but if they don't respond, there is a reason; we just don't know what it is yet.

To add to that - nor do they owe you an explanation, especially not through this forum!
Quote:

7. Just because Korg is silent does not mean they don't recognise the issue - or that they're not working on it.

One way to make sure korg knows about your problem is to CONTACT THEM, not post here.
Quote:

Am just sayin' so that this topic stays real - trust me, I have been infuriated by Korg's silence in the past on KF, but at the end of the day, they are a corporation, they have rules and policies - and most importantly, they want good product out there, because that's how they make money.

Sometimes that will mean that some of us feel not considered any more - so just as well we have this place to come to Smile

And remember if KF was owned and moderated by Korg, I would guess that 75%, if not more, of the posts here wouldn't get published!

Companies have official support methods. An open user forum is a horrible idea for anything "official".

I'm not sure why this is so difficult for some of you to understand:

You have an issue - report it to Korg
You have something to share about the keyboard - bring it to the community.

this community will do pretty much nothing to get actual technical problems fixed. Sure bringing up "how do I do ____" problems will likely get a quick response from people, and that is what I'm guessing sharp wants the forum to actually be.

PRODUCTIVE!

Trying to turn this forum into a tech support discussion board is NOT productive. It is in fact anti-productive for what the majority of people would like to use this forum for. I know my frustration level grows each day. Thankfully Sharp is finally stepping up and clarifying (and cleaning house) for those that aren't listening.

Maybe I'm way off on my interpretation of how I think Sharp is expecting the forums to be...but thus far, per his posts, I have seen no evidence to support that.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkfloyddudi wrote:

Does that mean that all web hosting services "indirectly" are supporting everyone they host?
Where these forums are hosted has nothing to do with any bit of "support".

Does "GoDaddy.com" support my band because I use them as a host? That is an absurd comparison

No, they support the forum because (I'm assuming) they host it for free.
If your godaddy.com hosts your band for free, I would also call that supporting. I'm assuming this because there would have been no need to switch to Korg's servers if Sharp had been paying his old host the boatloads of cash they'd have demanded for using all that bandwidth.

That said, I agree that if anyone is looking for an answer "from Korg", they need to contact Korg. Not write on a message board that isn't managed by Korg. It seems to me that if Korg really wants to make any announcements, they can do it perfectly well on their website.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

Quote:
Although the OP had mentioned keybed issues, it covered general issues, as well, and should not be "AS IS" entered to the keybed post unless you feel that general complaints from others as well should also be posted there.
You made this recommendation at least one other time.

There's a thread for all common issues people are talking about and in order to keep the forms organised, people need to post their problems in the relevant threads.

This not only keeps the forum organised, it helps KORG find all the relevant information in a single thread rather than it being scattered throughout this forum.

Quote:
What we all need as valued customers and future customers as well, are clearly labeled topics specific to the issues or a general issues sticky with categories- however you feel it displays best.

Generally speaking I don't get involved. People are free to label a thread whatever they want. If people want me to get involved to help organise efforts, then they only need to ask.

However.... remember that this is a community for people who play KORG keyboards to hang out on. That's the function of this forum. You come here, talk to fellow KORG owners and you share, chat and help each other.

The forum does not function to get your technical issues resolved. You can post your issues if you like, but do not demand a response from KORG. That's what KORG Tech support email and phone lines are for.

Quote:
This is the only visible site I'm aware of for Kronos.

It wasn't always like that. KORG Forums has outlasted them all purely because it was built to offer people a place to grow into a friendly community.

Quote:
Korg may not be required officially to respond but they are not officially required NOT to respond as evidenced.

Not true. It's very dangerous for a KORG employee to talk freely on the forum as people will perceive the feelings or general comments of one employee as company policy and official responses.

Quote:
It is in Korg's best interests to participate and we provide many useful functions for them for free as is the trend with manufacturers who can not or are unwilling or can not afford to fully beta-test, field test, etc.

KORG do that kind of work behind closed doors before the product is even on the market. The forum should really only be used by them as a means communicate with the community if they feel the need to.

Quote:
This forum is very important to the proper deployment and improvement to Korg products. It should be open and free to provide essential feedback, which without, would require Korg to spend money for much, much more field testing, which in reality is provided already here and at a cost to the customer which in turn, is provided for free to Korg.

While I have no doubt KORG learn from reading what their customers want, this forum is not built to provide them with your talking about.

No company in their right mind will do R&D and Beta testing on it's customers in a public forum.

There must be a balance. KORG Forums is a community for you to meet other KORG users. That's our main function. Anything beyond that is a bonus, but it will never be anything more than that.

The function of the forum must always remain as a means to provide a place for a community to exist. The Community comes first. Anything else is just a bonus.

Regards
Sharp.
philmagnotta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the respondents have primarily missed my point.
It may be a matter of semantics for example...

Nowhere do I state or support the mindset "demand".
First, because it is contradictory to what I've said twice:
... All manner of reports regarding issues, dissatisfaction, etc., should be presented respectfully and in a calm and mature manner- demanding something does not fit in with that conduct. It also has the potential to cause friction between manufacturer and customer.

Why the constant referrals to ..."they, Korg, do not owe you (us) any explanations"?
The word owe is perhaps not the best word, but certainly some who make this statement are also not Korg public relations spoke-persons, so you may not be correct.
Never-the-less, the topic here as I clearly wrote does not recommend a demanding attitude. In summary:
I wouldn't want to see this forum become a place of intimidation, fearing to speak freely and censored.
"Obligations" on Korg's part is not defined by a few here on this forum, unless those seeking to define it are official representatives.
Obligation is strictly a matter of whether the company feels obliged to take care of business if the company finds its customers to have any complaints.
If they feel so obliged, then they will be by definition, obliged.
The term as used here is not a legal definition, rather a decision according to their business sense and priorities.
It is not a matter of whether the complaints are fielded from official locations or out in the general public or any other circumstance.
That this place is not official is not the point, rather, this is a large gathering of their customer base with knowledgeable people spending time and money to report the progress of Korg's flagship synth.
Some may offer their responses and findings in an impolite manner and others not.
The moderator should be primarily concerned regarding manners and conduct.
Again, my point is that Korg certainly can feel obliged and we are not obliged to feel that they must not be.
Successful product launch, continued success and development of future successes require a close-knit communication between Korg and us.
The forum serves as a valuable part of Korg's potential, providing investments of time and money from the customer back to Korg and at no cost to Korg.
This forum must be a place for the continued fielding of product measurement and development and when conducted in a manner which I recommended, will provide us with good product as a result, in part, to this forum.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points.
It's largely up to the end users too. If more people can conduct themselves in a mannerly way, it opens the door to welcome a responce from KORG.

Regards
Sharp.
philmagnotta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Hello.

Quote:
Generally speaking I don't get involved. People are free to label a thread whatever they want. If people want me to get involved to help organize efforts, then they only need to ask.

I didn't know that and thanks for the offer to help.

Quote:
The forum does not function to get your technical issues resolved. You can post your issues if you like, but do not demand a response from KORG. That's what KORG Tech support email and phone lines are for.

As you know by now, I also don't recommend any demanding writing style. Although, as you stated, the forum doesn't exist to get your technical issues resolved, it has the potential to serve in that capacity, again, its all how its being presented, diplomacy is key.

Quote:

Quote:
Not true. It's very dangerous for a KORG employee to talk freely on the forum as people will perceive the feelings or general comments of one employee as company policy and official responses.

A misunderstanding.
Of course Korg employees can not just run freely posting here and there without supervision and the companies policy regarding who can, when and how. That is certainly not what I was suggesting because some Korg employees already respond and they are fully aware of the company's policies regarding who can, how and when, thus they have no official policy to not respond because they may respond if they feel obliged to do so. Its a matter of word usage, so we really have no disagreement here, I presume.

Quote:

Quote:
KORG do that kind of work behind closed doors before the product is even on the market. The forum should really only be used by them as a means communicate with the community if they feel the need to.

Well, how much they do and to what level of thoroughness remains to be seen. Presently, it appears that the work done behind closed doors was not as complete or thorough enough, thus the very important work being done out of closed doors is proving valuable data for product improvement.

Quote:

Quote:
While I have no doubt KORG learn from reading what their customers want, this forum is not built to provide them with your talking about.
No company in their right mind will do R&D and Beta testing on it's customers in a public forum.

True that R&D and Beta on this forum is not Korg's intent, but its a matter of interpretation. In the strictest or commonly accepted use of the terms R&D and Beta, yes they would not do that, but in the end, the testing is what new customers do to some degree and beta generally these days, actually do rely on the more technical customer as an adjunct to beta, unofficially, but nevertheless, its all part of the same thing eventually, so I stand by my statement.

Quote:
The function of the forum must always remain as a means to provide a place for a community to exist. The Community comes first. Anything else is just a bonus.

A community, besides implying more than a few people is a given, as the term suggests. However, what the posted writings and eventual outcomes of that community result in, may in fact lead to the improvement of any said product, and that is surely a "bonus" indeed!

Sharp.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

As a user-user forum, Korg has no official responsiblity to post or even read the contents of the Forum.

Given that, I have been pleasantly suprised at the level and quality of interaction of the Korg staff here.. to post in response to intelligent (and some not so intelligent) technical questions in a friendly manner shows their participation and level of customer focus to be quite high.. and those others of you that are on several sites can make your own comparisons.

However, even when there is a known problem.. it may take a corporation some months to develop an official stance.. data collection and evaluation to size scope and prioritise the issue, and then the design, implementation, test and validation of corrective action IF deemed appropriate.. all this takes time.. So NOT hearing from Korg does not mean they do not know, or do not care or do not plan to do something.. it simply means they have nothing to tell you now.

So regardless of any outstanding issue.. if you have ranted in the forum when you have not contacted Korg, then you are doing yourself, Korg, and the other users a disservice.. use the appropriate channels first.

SanderXpander wrote:
No, they support the forum because (I'm assuming) they host it for free.

That said, I agree that if anyone is looking for an answer "from Korg", they need to contact Korg. Not write on a message board that isn't managed by Korg. It seems to me that if Korg really wants to make any announcements, they can do it perfectly well on their website.

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although, as you stated, the forum doesn't exist to get your technical issues resolved, it has the potential to serve in that capacity, again, its all how its being presented, diplomacy is key.

True, it could server that function very easily, but KORG Inc would have to show interest in going down that path.

For example, KORG USA is a distributor over a specific territory. Why should they answer problems some guy in the UK is having or somewhere else in the world. It's not in their interest as they do not support those countries or share in those profits.

It would have to start with KORG Inc.

Regards
Sharp.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Good points.
It's largely up to the end users too. If more people can conduct themselves in a mannerly way, it opens the door to welcome a responce from KORG.

Regards
Sharp.

I don't disagree with your points generally, but I will also say that I don't think manners have anything to do with Korg's silence on keybed issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: