Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selecting Correct RAM for Korg Kronos Upgrade
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Selecting Correct RAM for Korg Kronos Upgrade Reply with quote

My other related thread -- Korg Kronos RAM Installation Procedure
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=67710

Kronos Motherboard
Model: Intel Desktop Board D510MO
Motherboard has 2 slots for RAM and is designed to hold a maximum of 4GB of RAM (Two 2GB sticks of RAM)

Kronos From Factory
-- RAM Slot 0 -- One 2GB RAM stick installed
-- RAM Slot 1 -- EMPTY

Kronos Recommended Upgrade
-- RAM Slot 1 -- One 1GB RAM stick (Installed by Korg Authorized Service Center)

Kronos Alternative Upgrade (not officially supported by Korg)
-- RAM Slot 1 -- One 2GB RAM stick (Installed by ???)
[This option would involve either (a) adding one 2GB stick or (b) removing existing stick and adding a paired set of two 2GB sticks]

Note: Korg states that the Kronos OS will only use 3GB of RAM (i.e. adding a 2GB stick in the 2nd slot has no advantage over a 1GB stick)

Korg Official RAM Upgrade Specification
(From "KRONOS_1_5_New_Features_E1.pdf" document)
Quote:

For compatibility with the KRONOS, RAM must comply with the following specification:

240-Pin PC2-6400 CL-5 (or CL-6) DDR2-800 non-ECC Unbuffered DIMM 1GB

FINDING CORRECT RAM
Many companies that sell RAM have websites that allow you to search based on a specific motherboard.

WHERE TO BUY
You can buy directly from memory manufacturers, computer parts websites (like NewEgg.com or TigerDirect in the U.S.) or Amazon.com

EXAMPLE: KINGSTON
http://www.kingston.com/

1. Select "Search By Manufacturer" = INTEL
2. Select "Intel - D510MO"
3. Select "Intel - D510MO Motherboard"
4. "Refine search" using the Korg official specifications (800MHz, Unbuffered, Non-ECC)
5. Results:

-- Model KVR800D2N6/1G (One 1GB Stick)
$13 NewEgg.com -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134634&Tpk=KVR800D2N6%2f1G

EXAMPLE: CRUCIAL
http://www.crucial.com/

1. Select "Shop by Manufacturer" = Intel
2. Select "Select Product Line" = Intel Motherboards
3. Select "Select Model" = D510MO
4. Click "FIND IT"
5. Within the presented results, make sure and select "DDR2 PC2-6400"
6. Results:

-- Part Number CT12864AA800 (One 1GB Stick)
$15 Direct from Crucial

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/

Last edited by MartinHines on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:47 pm; edited 10 times in total
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Dan it is of no use adding 2GB since only 1 GB is used.
Further I assume every 240-Pin PC2-6400 CL-5 (or CL-6) DDR2-800 non-ECC Unbuffered DIMM 1GB would do.

Also, probably it is not necessary to have a paired RAM in it (which usually is better for computers).

You can find in Europe enough RAMs that are ok for E10-20.
I really wonder how much it will cost to let a service center installing them (probably more than the RAM itself). And I can't imagine it will be more difficult than like a normal PC.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the info Martin. Thanks.

With the cost of ram being so low its a shame that Korg did not include at least 3GB anyway.

Having to go through a dealer is just annoying. Surely they can include the full ram amount in newer machines?
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
According to Dan it is of no use adding 2GB since only 1 GB is used.

I updated my original post with your comments. Thanks.

Ksynth wrote:

With the cost of ram being so low its a shame that Korg did not include at least 3GB anyway.

Surely they can include the full ram amount in newer machines?

I suspect Korg may do this in the future. With the Triton Studio, Korg upgraded to a larger hard drive in later production runs. They did not advertise it because they did not want to make the earlier inventory obsolete.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/

Last edited by MartinHines on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ksynth wrote:
Appreciate the info Martin. Thanks.

Having to go through a dealer is just annoying. Surely they can include the full ram amount in newer machines?

Completely true, I ordered my Kronos from internet and would either have to drive 2 hours forth (and 2 back) or send it costing much more than the RAM itself.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

Thanks for the ram information, very helpful, will save for future reference.
Am I correct that by adding a total of 4Gs is of no use and only a 1G stick added to slot 2 for a total of 3G is the way to go?
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, the closest Korg Authorized Repair Center is two hours from me. We DO have a Korg dealer here in my city but he isn't certain he is authorized to pop in the RAM stick. So, do I drive the two hours for a stupid RAM stick or do the install myself but then there is the two year warranty that I guess is voided?

This is my only complaint about Kronos. Props to Roland for memory upgrades that don't void warranties. When I upgraded my Fantom X8 and XV-88, there was no problem because the expansion bays were made to be user friendly.

I really want the extra RAM because ATM I cannot use Sharp's excellent Kronos Assault AND still have all the factory stuff loaded!

Sorry for the mini-rant.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: With the soundsets coming out, isn't this 1 Gb limitation a bit problematic? A 2004 Fantom X can be maxed out with RAM and SRX cards but a 2011 Kronos and we have to pick and choose? In a gig, I don't have time to load in new sample sets. Again, everything else about Kronos I love but for an instrument with these insane capabilities, why the limitation of the amount of RAM that can be addressed?
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(a bit late due to earlier postings ... b ut a very good article).

BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Martin!
jaggeddoctrine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I update the RAM, I'll put another 2 GB in there. Again, it's low cost. And who knows.. maybe a future OS update will expand the max ram to the 4 GB.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad_77 wrote:
So, do I drive the two hours for a stupid RAM stick or do the install myself but then there is the two year warranty that I guess is voided?

Warranty service always relates to a particular problem. The issue would be if opening up the back of the Kronos and installing memory somehow helped cause the warranty service problem.

For example, I would argue that if my data wheel comes off within the warranty period, that should be covered regardless of whether or not I performed the memory upgrade myself.

I can see the issue from Korg's perspective -- they don't (and shouldn't) pay for a problem that was caused by the owner; they only want to be responsible for product defects.

I can also see why Korg does not formally authorize users to perform the memory upgrade. A careless person could damage some internal circuitry and they would want Korg to pay for damage.

Given I am 2 hours from the nearest Korg Service Center, I am going to carefully perform the memory upgrade myself, realizing this may invalidate my warranty.

Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
Vlad_77 wrote:
So, do I drive the two hours for a stupid RAM stick or do the install myself but then there is the two year warranty that I guess is voided?

Warranty service always relates to a particular problem. The issue would be if opening up the back of the Kronos and installing memory somehow helped cause the warranty service problem.

For example, I would argue that if my data wheel comes off within the warranty period, that should be covered regardless of whether or not I performed the memory upgrade myself.

I can see the issue from Korg's perspective -- they don't (and shouldn't) pay for a problem that was caused by the owner; they only want to be responsible for product defects.

If you document the successful ram installation (with pictures etc) surely they would honour the warranty if some other unrelated problem happens (say causing a general recall etc).

I can also see why Korg does not formally authorize users to perform the memory upgrade. A careless person could damage some internal circuitry and they would want Korg to pay for damage.

Given I am 2 hours from the nearest Korg Service Center, I am going to carefully perform the memory upgrade myself, realizing this may invalidate my warranty.
Cpilot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I installed another 2GB before I did the 1.5 update and the update went perfectly. The system shows 3.25GB installed just as it did before. If it's only using 3GB then I've only lost 250MB. Not a big problem. The memory I'm using is GBMicro with the same spec as the installed memory. Works just fine.

Bryan
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the RAM specs for what's installed?

Purchasing I'd like to keep them the same (CL, Speed, etc...) if I installed myself.

Have we been given a cost for a KORG ARC to do it? Does it include the RAM or do we need to supply it?

I truly don't understand why Korg didn't put in an installation panel for a straightforward user accessible upgrade. 1st Synth (That uses RAM) I've ever owned without one! Not to mention the downtime for the board. Some of us gig on a regular basis and not every place is a "work while you wait" kind of deal.
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I wonder what Korgs reasoning was for leaving 1 GB left out when it was manufactured?? I cant imagine this, especially since it doesnt cost $20?

Does the customer have to pay the Service Center to have it installed..or is it considered warranty? If so, how much?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: