Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos repeatedly detunes itself during play
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal2001

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Kronos repeatedly detunes itself during play Reply with quote

Hi all. My first plea for advice in 3 years. While I play my 1st gen K88, all the notes suddenly take a nose dive, detune themselves, and go very flat. The effect is exactly the same as if you were playing guitar, and I turned all the tuning knobs loose while you were playing. I did not make any system changes during this time. It happens with both combis and programs. Examples of combis (but not limited to this) are pianos, guitars, pads, strings, orchestra, organ). Examples of programs (not limited to) Guitar, EPs, Motion Syr. Happens with or without any Karma. Detuning effect can happen at the end of an all day perfect session or can happen right after boot up. It's not Set List related as I've opened combis and programs in unused new Set List slots and it's still a problem. Program Piano sounds seem somewhat less affected, however the Piano programs can appear flat to begin with. Combi Piano sounds are very susceptible to the nose-dive effect. All functions on the keyboard work as if nothing else is wrong. Global Master Tune is set to normal 440 HZ. Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts appreciated before I try a full reset and if that doesn't work, I'll try a restore with the disks. Thanks. Hal

Last edited by Hal2001 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your pitchbend potmeter is dying. Happened to me too recently after a little over three years of ownership. It's a simple (if finicky replacement).
Hal2001

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Sounds like your pitchbend potmeter is dying. Happened to me too recently after a little over three years of ownership. It's a simple (if finicky replacement).
Thanks SanderXpander for responding. Did you fix it yourself? Is it a simple wire harness disconnect/reconnnect and hardware screw out-and-in procedure or is there more to it?  Will it require a total system reset or restore after the replacement or will it be ready to play normal again?  Where in the US should I order the parts from? What is the "finicky" part? Hal
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could order a complete kit, basically you only need to replace the pot(s). The finicky part is that the actual module consists of a bunch of small parts that click and screw together, there's two springs too.

I did it myself but at the service center. I got the parts from them so I didn't actually look which pots they were. If you have time and you're handy enough you could takr them out and see (or measure).

By the way, as a quick test - what happens when you jiggle the pitchbend lever after a "nose dive"? Does it jump back and then center normally?
Hal2001

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
By the way, as a quick test - what happens when you jiggle the pitchbend lever after a "nose dive"? Does it jump back and then center normally?
Interestingly, about a month ago the main joystick started to stick in the right (East) position once in a while. But, since the stick still functioned normally soundwise, and could be flicked back to center, I did not think it was the cause of the overall detuning problem. Right now the stick is not sticking at all, but then, sometimes it will. The position of the stick is not correlated to when the sudden unwanted detuning happens. I stopped using the stick but still had the problem. Is there a website in the US where I can order the part directly or do I have to go to my local Korg repair center to get the part. I'd get the whole module. Thanks again for your quick and sounds-logical response. You saved me the time of unnecessarily resetting and restoring the hard drive (which is what the official Korg Support website originally replied, probably with an automated form reply). Did you have the stuck joystick behavior too? Hal

Last edited by Hal2001 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Rigel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Roland boards need (and provide as a menu option) pitchbend/modulation calibration. I suspect Kronos needs a calibration, too, though I know we dont have such a menu item in the usual user interface, but it may be hidden somewhere in the service menu.
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not using pitch bend to can disable it per patch so it won't retune your sounds until you get it repaired.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem and fixed it myself. You can get the whole subassembly really cheap and it is easy to install. A few screws, a few connectors and a couple of zip ties. I think the company that has them is called Parts is Parts, or something like that.
Just found it. Here you go:

http://www.guitar-parts.com/
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
My Roland boards need (and provide as a menu option) pitchbend/modulation calibration. I suspect Kronos needs a calibration, too, though I know we dont have such a menu item in the usual user interface, but it may be hidden somewhere in the service menu.

It's a hardware issue. Had it. Fixed it.
Hal2001

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SX, Rigel, Geoelectro, and Ronnfigg. You're all awesome. Thanks for pointing me to the likely trouble area.
1. Did you replace just the Joystick or also the IC associated with it?
2. I would like to disable the pitch bend but can't find the correct menu and tab. Can anyone direct me to it? (In Programs I went to P4:Basic/Vector Menu choosing "Controllers" tab. There are 8 different "JS" related options listed under SW1 and SW2. I tried turning to "Off at that dropdown tab (where the Safety Pin is) but nothing happens. Maybe that's for the Vector joystick and not the pitch bend. Similarly with the Combi menus.
3. Will I have to separately disable the JS in the Combis I use or will they automatically be disabled when the programs inside the combis have been individually disabled.
Thanks again for any suggestions.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The annoying bit about nine engines is that they each have their own places to adjust stuff Wink
Usually it will be on a "pitch/common" tab or somewhere near pitch parameters, rather than controllers.
Hal2001

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to order the Joystick module (It's only $30 from Parts Is Parts - Thanks for the link Ron). I've never opened the K before. Can I assume that when I remove the bottom wood board screws (except for the feet) the rest of the keyboard and chassis is totally intact? I.e. I'm assuming that if I'm very gentle in every way with turning it upside down onto a gym mat, and then remove the wood board, the keybed should not shift by itself. To be safe, I'll even tape the original cardboard spacers into the inside of the channel strip. Did I assume correctly? Thanks. Hal
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're disassembly procedure sounds about right. I have never done that on an 88, at least not for the joystick. Putting the spacers in is a good idea. As far as the pitch bender subassembly goes, it is fully self-contained. All you will have to do is remove the connectors with the wires and snip a few zip ties and then put everything back on to the new pitch bend assembly. You will probably find it quite easy once you see what I'm talking about. I wish you success with the project.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keybed is held by the bottom plate so you will have to fuss a little to put it back exactly right. If you have the spacers that will help. Other than that, just be careful, make pictures and remember where the screws go.
vstkeys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I had the exact same detuning issue at rehearsals last night !!!!and just picked in here wondering if anyone had the same issue .
So today I've got my keyboard set up and the only way to stop it from the flicking through "barbaric tuning" was pushing the stupid slide thingy that I have never , never used before. First time it was used was the last night! My friend started messing around with the brass sounds trying to do a Cresscendo same way he does at his triniti and bang everything went out of tune.

So in my case if it is a problematic slide what do I do ?? do I replace it the part or there a way of readjusting or just cleaning it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: