Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overb ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Overb ? Reply with quote

One of the things I heard a lot about in Korgs later than my Triton Studio, was the Overb. I have experimented with it as a master effects reverb (I used a version of hall reverbs in that slot with my Triton) in my sequences and have found it to be unremarkable.

Will anyone with experience with this effect tell me what I am missing? Is this a reverb that is good for master effects, or am I using it incorrectly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you are missing, though I normally don't use it as master effect (for that I use mastring effects in my software DAW).

I regard this reverb as the best 'musical' reverb available for instrument patches on any hardware workstation. It allows to use even big spaces without sounding 'hollow' or 'dead' or 'clinical' or'metallic', or 'muddy', as others do IMHO.

Or do you know any other hardware reverb providing a warm big room like in the Lyle Mays piano patch?

Not meant as a criticism of your question, just a feeback from my taste.
I can offer no help, because I myself am using this reverb by trial and error.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with jimknopf here - for me, the Overb is the best reverb out there; it is superb.

Can only suggest you tweak it - my OASYS Overb works like a charm now that I have developed my own edits/presets.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that reverbs in general come in several big categories, and then several sub-categories. Example: first you have algorithmic vs convolution. Then you have "real world acoustic space" vs "virtual space" vs "effect" reverbs. And beyond that you have individual colors of verb often associated with Lexicon, Bricasti, TC, Eventide, etc.

In my view.....Overb makes an outstanding algorithmic "real world acoustic space" hardware reverb, with *some* outstanding "effect" reverb capabilities. It is super clean, and its "space" is very authentic and natural, with little or no ring modulation in its decay. On its longest time settings, it decays forever with a very clean shimmer. Its not infinite, but its musically very practical and usable.

But what Overb is not is a convolution space reverb, nor is it a full spectrum effect reverb of the caliber of say Eventide or 2C Audio. If you seek or expect that type of "color".....Overb will not give it to you as you may wish. In my studio, I use Eventides and 2C Audio for effects, East West Spaces for convolution, and Overb for natural space (particularly great on acoustic pianos and voice).
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to check out the FX Presets for the Overb, as well; they may provide helpful starting places.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted - duplicate messages due to server errors]
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com

Last edited by danatkorg on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Dan - sometimes you're too helpful Wink

Don't give away the secrets... Shocked Wink
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted - duplicate messages due to server errors]

Last edited by danatkorg on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cpilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played around with the Overb but it seemed rather amorphous. Couldn't figure out what it was supposed to do. I much prefer the other reverbs, tailored to the specific environment I'm trying to create. Smooth Hall is one of my favourites as I do a lot of orchestral and organ stuff. Sounds great with combi I-D 058 Cathedral Organ. Other than that it's just plain old Room for things like the CX-3.

Bryan
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cpilot wrote:
I played around with the Overb but it seemed rather amorphous. Couldn't figure out what it was supposed to do. I much prefer the other reverbs, tailored to the specific environment I'm trying to create. Smooth Hall is one of my favourites as I do a lot of orchestral and organ stuff. Sounds great with combi I-D 058 Cathedral Organ. Other than that it's just plain old Room for things like the CX-3.

Bryan

You'll find halls, rooms, ambiences, etc. in the O-verb presets. In general, I far prefer O-verb over the other, older reverb algorithms.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O-verb is the most adjustable reverb available. It is absolutely the best x 100.

Put it this way, if I want reverb, I will route other keyboards through the OASYS audio inputs to get O-verb. Yes, that includes the JP-80 - which does have good reverb in its own right but is not nearly as good as Korg's.
Cpilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Dan. I'll take another look at Overb. I guess I'm just old fashioned (and old).

Bryan
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, that includes the JP-80 - which does have good reverb in its own right but is not nearly as good as Korg's.

I would love to hear the violin patch on the JP80 through the internal, then the overb for comparison.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Quote:
Yes, that includes the JP-80 - which does have good reverb in its own right but is not nearly as good as Korg's.

I would love to hear the violin patch on the JP80 through the internal, then the overb for comparison.

Tell you what - I'll record the JP-80 violin with (Roland) reverb sound then take the same source and record through Korg O-verb.

Will post links in this thread - as soon as I can, but may be at the weekend.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I though the Jupiter 80 reverb was very good for the acoustic instruments. It really fattened up the sound and to me contributed a huge amount of what made the sounds what they were.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: