Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEED HELP: Is this MIDI setup possible?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mymusic42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: NEED HELP: Is this MIDI setup possible? Reply with quote

Currently I have the Kronos transmitting on channel 1, a Korg Microkey USB'd to transmit on channel 2, and Roland footpedals transmitting on channel 3. This works great.

As a hardcore organist, I did not find the CX3 engine to cut it for me, so I purchased an external organ module. The module is set to receive the upper manual on 1, lower manual on 2, and bass pedal on 3.

I hoped that it would be a slam dunk and i could just go MIDI OUT from my Kronos to the module and everything would work. But only the Kronos keyboard itself transit to the module.

My goal is for the Microkey always to be on channel 2 and play any channel 2 sounds (whether it is the kronos or the organ module) and for the foot pedals to be channel 3 and play any channel 3 sounds (whether it is the organ or Kronos).

Is this possible? Thanks
Cpilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos doesn't transmit the drawbars as midi control messages. It uses sysex instead which is a real pain. It uses the control stuff for Karma instead. If I were king, I would reverse this or at least provide an option to do it, but nobody is listening. To this end I've designed a midi box which receives the drawbar control messages and translates them into sysex. There's not much in it - just a microprocessor and the standard midi interfaces. I've built the box but I still have to write the program for the microprocessor. That is now under way. I'll publish the details when it's finished if anyone is interested.

Bryan
mymusic42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to be clear, drawbars are not the issue. the organ module has drawbars, leslie, and all the other features of an organ. i just need to be able to transmit the key presses
mymusic42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a little bit further. I now go MIDI OUT from my pedals to MIDI to the KRONOS and then MIDI OUT and MIDI THRU from the Kronos to the MIDI IN of the module. This allow the pedals to play both the kronos and the module. But my Microkey still only plays the Kronos (I guess USB doesn't transmit MIDI THRU?)

Is there a way to get a USB MIDI device the the Microkey to pass its key input through the Kronos to the module?
ldascanio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: NEED HELP: Is this MIDI setup possible? Reply with quote

mymusic42 wrote:
Currently I have the Kronos transmitting on channel 1, a Korg Microkey USB'd to transmit on channel 2, and Roland footpedals transmitting on channel 3. This works great.

As a hardcore organist, I did not find the CX3 engine to cut it for me, so I purchased an external organ module. The module is set to receive the upper manual on 1, lower manual on 2, and bass pedal on 3.

I hoped that it would be a slam dunk and i could just go MIDI OUT from my Kronos to the module and everything would work. But only the Kronos keyboard itself transit to the module.

My goal is for the Microkey always to be on channel 2 and play any channel 2 sounds (whether it is the kronos or the organ module) and for the foot pedals to be channel 3 and play any channel 3 sounds (whether it is the organ or Kronos).

Is this possible? Thanks

To do that you should be able to mix the input from a controller with the output from the other. Some controllers let repeat the signal sent to MDI thru to MIDI out and mix it with the signal of the controller. It's not the case of Kronos. (I guess the Roland PK-5 can do it but not sure at the moment).

The best option for your case is using a MIDI mixer as this one:
http://www.motu.com/products/midi/lite
There you have 5 MIDI in that can be redirected to any of the 5 MIDI out ports so you can connect the outputs of your 3 controllers to the mixer and route them to the MIDI out connected to your Organ module.

Edit: You could also redirect the pedalboard and the microkey to other output and connect it to the Kronos so you will control the Kornos and the organ module at the same time with the microkey and/or the pedalboard.

Just be sure to read the manual first. Not sure if it can work without the PC connected to it.....

Rgds.
OASYS 88 #000312
KRONOS 61 #003946
KORG Z1, ROLAND PK-5
mymusic42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice

I wound up going with a compromise that will allow me to use my usb midi controller and not need a midi hub

I use the organ module as my main organ sound and then use the kronos for my bass organ sound and lower manual organ sound. That way the bass pedals and usb keyboard will still work for non organ sounds. And then I run all the kronos organ sounds through the organ module to pick up the leslie and other organ effects.

Its not what I originally intended but I like compactness and simplicity of usb midi controllers and don't want to give them up just because they don't support midi thru
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: