Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe ES-1 Midi Dumps?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Electribe ES-1 Midi Dumps? Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone has any software or anything that would allow the es-1 to do to/from midi dumps, thereby bypassing the use of those damned excessively expensive Smartmedia cards (at least compared to sd cards)....

I did stumble upon this useful utility, but I'll still need them cards...
http://www.jandegeluidenman.nl/smartnamer_for_the_korg_electribe_es-1

(btw, how many samples can you store on the max 64mb card?)
Electromachines

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midi dumps would only save/recall pattern data,motion sequence data, the sample numbers and the locations which they programmed within the patterns..... not the samples themselves.

You can cram a few hundred mono .wav(32khz) 'one shot' samples on a 64 meg card.... but as the ES1 only reads samples numbered 00-99... you are left with 100 usable mono samples(+ 50 stereo).

So unless you use really long samples, the less desirable 16 - 32 meg cards would do just fine. No one wants these smaller smart media cards but they are perfect for the es1 and a lot cheaper.

Remember,the internal sample storage memory of the Es1 is only about 5.4 meg, and exported '.ES' files are compressed to around 3 meg, of which only 9 can be saved to a card.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you're right. i forgot, samples are audio, not midi data.

I looked up smaller card sizes but theyre not much cheaper than the 64mb cards so I'll probably just go with that.

One more question for you: I was reading this post:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=287803&sid=298357754f7834ca07bf1f8cd3b2c96a

and the original poster explains a process to load multiple sample packs on a card.
My question for you is, when loading from a card, what happens to the samples on the internal memory of the es1? Are they replaced with the ones loaded from the card?
Im going to try to buy a card this weekend and am hoping that I will be able to load sets of samples onto the es1 with ease...

thanks for your reply
thesigma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the samples in the unit will be overwritten, along with all the patterns, songs, motion data, etc. Be sure to save your work.

Also, as to the 99 sample limit, this is true for raw samples on the card but each es1 file can have 99 different samples in it, so the 64Mb cards are not useless, you can store 9 es-1 files pluss 100 mono wav samples. Actually I don't remember how large the memory is, maybe a 32M card would hold all that too...anyway a 16Mb card won't.

You can also load just individual samples from the es1 file and not the whole sample/pattern/song data. in this case you load the sample into free memory. you cannot however load just a single pattern, you would have to have the same samples with the same number for it to play back properly anyway....though you could probably get some interesting results with random samples.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: