Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Behringer FCB1010 Midi Footswitch
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRedZac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: The Behringer FCB1010 Midi Footswitch Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

since so many usefull information about connecting the Behringer FCB1010 Midi Footswitch is scattered to the four winds, I would like to open a general thread about it here.

So, for myself, I connected the FCB1010 to the Kronos and it can do the following for me: (For those who wonder why I have programmed some functions to Channel 2: I connected a second keyboard via class compliant USB directly to the Kronos and set it up with Midi Channel 2)

1: Rotary on/off for CH 1
2: Rotary on/off for CH 2
3: Sustenuto for CH 1 and 2
4: Sustain for CH 1
5: Sustain for CH 2
6: Modulation Switch 1 on the Kronos on/off
7: Modulation Switch 2 on the Kronos on/off
8: Soft Pedal for CH 1 and 2
9: External Switch 1 control*
10: External Switch 2 control*
Expression Pedal A: Volume CH 1
Expression Pedal B: Volume CH 2

*External Switch control:
On the backside of the FCB1010 you find 2 jack connectors named Switch 1 and Switch 2. They are NOT connectors for additional pedals to be connected to the FCB1010, but they are able to connect to the programable pedal inputs 1 and 2 on the Kronos via jack-jack Cable, mono or stereo doesn´t matter.
A small relay in the FCB1010 is able to "translate" a push of a button on the FCB1010 to a physical pedal command through the outputs on the backside, directly into the Kronos pedal connectors... Like this you can programm on Kronos in Global Mode, that for example for pedal 1 you will move 1 programm up and so this command can be triggered from the FCB1010 as well (since just by Midi CC´s usually this would not be possible)

After all, you can control almost every parameter switch, data input slider, ribbon, joystick, etc. by the FCB1010 with Midi CC´s. You´ll find all the assignable parameters in the parameter guide, starting from page 1099 (Overview on page 1118-1120), linked below.

For example: You want to have ONE damper pedal on two different midi channels: You can do this with the FCB1010 by programming 2 times CC#64 been send out by the push of a button on it, to 2 different midi channels... Fantastic, isn´t it ?

But more than this: For each of the switches on FCB1010 you can programm up to 5 Programm changes, 2 Midi CC´s and a note send message, all on the same or on different midi channels, besides the two expression pedals, which can have completely different setups within each programm on FCB1010 as well - Multiplied by 10 programms, makes all in total 100 programmable switches with 8 different possible functions each... So, it´s a really powerful and flexible tool to work with...

There´s a modified Firmware out on the market, called UNO. It gives you some additional functionality like the so called stomp box mode, but is also able to make you decide about if a switch on the FCB1010 is in latch or momentary mode, for example. Momentary mode means, that a command is only send out from the FCB1010 as long as you push the switch, while latch mode enables a command to be send as long until you tap the same switch again... The price for this Uno-Upgrade (containing another EProm + Firmware) is not even 20$, including the shipping already.

The FCB1010 can be edited by a computer based editor (Versions for Windows and MacOS are available), so the setup is not as difficult as it seems to be...

Another, but minor, advantage is, that you have all your pedal controls centralized in one place - I just remember back the times, where I had a separate pedal for everything, which I was always searching for on the floor with feet, since they are somehow "just moving around" everywhere... Because of the stable metal enclosure of the FCB1010 it is always staying on its place and the search for your pedals with feet comes to an end...

Here are useful links:

Kronos Parameter Guide:
https://www.korg.com/uploads/Support/KRONOS_Param_Guide_E4_634582418757670000.pdf

Uno Firmware/EProm:
http://www.ossandust.be/

My favourite Editor for Windows:
http://www.mtnsys.com/?path=faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm%3f

My favourite Editor for MacOS:
The same as the one for Windows, but to be run in an emulator on MacOS

Hope this information helps to some of you, guys, and that you´ll post your experiences and tricks as well here in this thread !

Cheers
Garfield

Last edited by MRedZac on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
johnnydr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx. Good information.
I think I might get one of these somewhere down the road . Would eliminate the "runaway pedals syndrome" Laughing
BrickPilot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wabbit Wanch software doesn't support the uNO, FWIW. So, beware of that. I sent them a note essentially saying... if we can get a free editor for Windows that has all the bells and whistles, these guys could do a few more hours work and support uNO, especially since they're asking $20, which is more than the price of the uNO to start with.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrickPilot wrote:
The Wabbit Wanch software doesn't support the uNO, FWIW. So, beware of that. I sent them a note essentially saying... if we can get a free editor for Windows that has all the bells and whistles, these guys could do a few more hours work and support uNO, especially since they're asking $20, which is more than the price of the uNO to start with.

There are at least two free windows editor ... one is a java application, the other native windows.

FCB1010 editor: http://www.el34world.com/Misc/Music/FCB_2.htm
Java editor: http://www.ripwerx.com/RipwerxFcb1010Editor.html

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another Video link connecting the FCB 1010 to an Oasys/Kronos, for Karma scene changes....there is also a second video by the same author showing Patch Changes.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2341110981458285435#

Regards
Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
BrickPilot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
BrickPilot wrote:

There are at least two free windows editor ... one is a java application, the other native windows.

FCB1010 editor: http://www.el34world.com/Misc/Music/FCB_2.htm
Java editor: http://www.ripwerx.com/RipwerxFcb1010Editor.html

Unfortunatly, only my Macbook has the Firewire interface I need to hook my AudioFire 12 into Cubase. I need a MacOS version of the FCB editor, else I have to drag two laptops around. Bleah.
MRedZac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... I have to drag two laptops around. Bleah.

Why ? - You just program the pedal once... You can ask some of your friends to lend you a laptop for 2 hours and everything will be fine forever...
BrickPilot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRedZac wrote:
Quote:
... I have to drag two laptops around. Bleah.

Why ? - You just program the pedal once... You can ask some of your friends to lend you a laptop for 2 hours and everything will be fine forever...

True, assuming I get it right the first time.
BrickPilot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING. I received a response from the developer at Wabbit Wanch and as I am a 20 year veteran of professional software development, I can confidently say that they're not interested in gaining nor supporting customers.

His main point in telling me NO, they won't add code for uNO, was that THEY don't use uNO in their studio. He briefly ran down why he thinks it sucks and disputed why I thought it added any capability. Made me feel like an idiot for even asking for uNO support in their product, and basically said the FCB was crap anyway due to its "junk" expression pedals.

He told me bluntly that I should use a Windows version in an emulator.

So, I will. I urge everyone else to save your $20 and do not patronize Wabbit Wanch. Just my $.02, a net savings of $19.98.
MRedZac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrickPilot wrote:
WARNING. I received a response from the developer at Wabbit Wanch and as I am a 20 year veteran of professional software development, I can confidently say that they're not interested in gaining nor supporting customers.

His main point in telling me NO, they won't add code for uNO, was that THEY don't use uNO in their studio. He briefly ran down why he thinks it sucks and disputed why I thought it added any capability. Made me feel like an idiot for even asking for uNO support in their product, and basically said the FCB was crap anyway due to its "junk" expression pedals.

So, I will. I urge everyone else to save your $20 and do not patronize Wabbit Wanch. Just my $.02, a net savings of $19.98.

OK, BrickPilot, this is a clear statement, so I will remove the Mac-Editor-Link from my original post. A behaviour like this, I don´t want to support at all. Thanks for your efforts !

And one thing has to be said clearly: None of the pedals on the FCB1010 are kind of junk... I`m using it every day since February 2008 without any problems.

Cheers
Garfield
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRedZac wrote:
BrickPilot wrote:

OK, BrickPilot, this is a clear statement, so I will remove the Mac-Editor-Link from my original post. A behaviour like this, I don´t want to support at all. Thanks for your efforts !

And one thing has to be said clearly: None of the pedals on the FCB1010 are kind of junk... I`m using it every day since February 2008 without any problems.

Cheers
Garfield

I have heard the two pedals of the Behringer are of a cheap sort, however, if you use them for volume/fade in or effect level etc it's not a problem. It's advised to calibrate them once in a while (they work with light sensors). Anyhow, I never had any problems with them. The biggest problem is when I accidentally press Bank Up/Down and get a wrong bank or when I step on the two pedals at the same time ...but both are my own 'fault'.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to programme one of the switches to act as a "tap tempo".

I know I can assign the pedal switch in the Kronos to tap tempo and connect it to one of the switch outputs of the FCB... But that would mean another cable to connect Smile
MRedZac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathieumaes wrote:
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to programme one of the switches to act as a "tap tempo".

I know I can assign the pedal switch in the Kronos to tap tempo and connect it to one of the switch outputs of the FCB... But that would mean another cable to connect Smile

Is there in parameter guide a midi cc for tab tempo ? I think no... So, I´m afraid to tell you, that you found the only way to do it already...
Digital Mixers only from Yamaha

http://www.mediacoustics.eu

You smoke electric cigarettes ? - Looking for the best liquid to refill them ? - See this:

http://www.steamshop24.eu
BrickPilot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FCB manual says that tap tempo information is sent whenever a pedal is tapped twice (or more). The second message gets sent with tempo information. So, it supposedly 'just works'. YMMV. I haven't tried it.
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I can't seem to make heads or tails of this...

I've been reading the manual, and it appears you can only send CC data when changing a patch...

I want to do something similar like the OP... Have Rotary controls, and sustain switches... Can anyone tell me how I can do this ? Do I need to buy that UnO firmware update for this to work, or should this be possible with the original firmware ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: