Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the major faults with the SV1?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BC_in_CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: What are the major faults with the SV1? Reply with quote

Hi,

New member here. The current $500 rebate Korg's got on the SV1 has got me just about ready to pull the trigger. I've been looking through this forum and haven't been able to see much of a pattern. Certainly some people have complaints, but what are the real problems with the SV1?

I'm a guitar player first and a kybd player second. I've loved the sound of the SV1 from the first time I saw one. I'm in need of a meat 'n' potatoes keyboard with a weighted action for AP, EP, Clav, Strings and such. I've got a Nord C2 for the Hammond stuff, so the SV1's shortcoings in this area aren't of concern to me. I know the Nord stuff is great, too, but the current pricing on the SV1 has really gotten my attention. I'm a sucker for a good deal.

If I buy an SV1, am I buying a lifetime of heartache and misery for myself? Confused

Signed.
Perplexed in purgatory

BC in CA
Thunder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned and played a SV-1 73 for a full year and have no problems what so ever. Sounds and OS updates has been done with my computer running Linux off a CD instead of Windows 7 64-Bit. Editor works fine with Windows 7.

I must say that I'm still in love with the SV-1 73. It's truly a professional instrument.
craigalan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for an authentic rhodes sound? None better than the sv1 as of now.
BC_in_CA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly concerned about reliability. Seems like the keybed issue has drawn a lot of attention. Is concern about the keybed warranted or overblown?

How about when using the SV1 as a MIDI controller to trigger another module? How well does it work in that situation?

Thanks,
BC
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 3 SV-1's. My first was faulty and I exchanged it. My second I sold and recently I purchased one again. The lure of that rebate was strong incentive (though it's been 8 weeks and no sign of it yet). I had key click issues with the first 2. The one I have now is perfect. No key issues at all.
As far as MIDI, my experience with using the SV-1 in a studio situation has been a bit frustrating. If you turn the "Local off" it functions great as a master controller. However when recording MIDI data using the SV-1 sounds themselves, I personally have found problems. I use Digital Performer, and regardless of where I have the RX noises set in a sound, the second I hit "Play" in DP, they shoot up to 100% volume. The only way around it is to use the editing software and save the sound with the RX noises turned off. This has happened with all 3 of the SV-1 I've had. I contacted Korg about it, and they said they could'nt replicate the issue and therefore can't help me. It's quite frustrating as the RX noises add that little something to the sound. I've also had the EQ freak out a bit and have no sound at all when recording in a MIDI environment.

Lastly, while the pianos on the SV are some of the best I've heard, I often get an odd "twang" at the end of a sustained note. Sometimes while using the sustain pedal, sometimes when playing back a MIDI track using the SV. Can't pin point what makes it happen as it's not a consistent thing. But it does occur frequently. Despite all the issues, I did get a third one. Bottom line is this is the most inspiring and enjoyable keyboard in my studio. I find myself playing it constantly. The design is really engaging and the sound quality superb. It definitely shines in a live situation which is really what it was intended for.
ShaunKorg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my second SV1. No problems on the first one. But on the second I have a bad low G key. I havent gotten it fixed because I'd have to drive 60 miles to do so.

I also have not seen me rebate check after 8 weeks.
flyingace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my SV-1 in April of 2011. No problems mentioned here so far. I worried about them happening but so far this keyboard has been great in my home studio. I haven't gigged with it or travelled with it though. The software and sounds are wonderful and inspiring. For what it is and what it was designed for, it's a worthy keyboard for my needs! I have a Roland Juno-Gi for organs and other sounds, plus use Reason software for virtual stuff and recording.

Good luck!
craigalan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 sv1's. One for studio and one for live. Love them both. Any issues, all minor, are totally worth it. I have not had any major issues with either of mine.
oy5t3h

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my SV-1.

The Rhodes sound has an organic, expressive quality that still blows me away every time I play it. Never yet (touch wood) had any problems with it - either at home or on stage.

Had cause to dig out my old (very old - PF-P100) Yamaha stage piano over the holidays, and the Korg is just so much nicer to play (and to carry!).

I think it's great that forums like this exist to provide support when things go wrong, but they can give the wrong impression, since most people only bother to post when they have problems. So therefore most posts are about problems, and that makes it sound like most customer are unhappy. Therefore, please read this as my chance, as a very happy customer, to redress the balance a little.
doctorno

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the 73 key version privately and have the 88 key version at the school where I work as a music teacher. With both instruments I have experienced no problems at all. Some people complain about the keyboard. To me it is the best keyboard in any electronic instrument I have used. The sound of the sampled Steinway (piano 2) is so close to the real thing, that it is unbelievable (and I have got a real Steinway at my workplace as well). The electric pianos are even better than those of my Nord Stage Ex. The string sample is a dream and the organ sounds - well, you can use them - but they cannot compare to an emulated organ like that of the Nord Electro/Nord Stage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: