Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PCG Tools for web
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRedZac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: PCG Tools for web Reply with quote

mathieumaes wrote:
We all know Michel's PCG tools described in this topic, and without a doubt everyone is thankful for this great program. Well, except for those poor Mac OS X users, who are left out to dry!

Thankfully, I'm amongst those Windows-users who feel sorry for those poor bastards... I've been talking to Michel about creating a web based solution which can be platform-independant. He was so kind to provide his source code. And since Microsoft .NET technology is so awesome, it was easy-peasy! Twisted Evil

Joking aside now, I was able to create a web based service that allows people to upload a PCG, make some changes and download a new version!

The service can be found here:
http://pcg.webberig.be

Features
- Upload a PCG file, make the changes you want and download an updated version of the file
- For now, (I think that) only Kronos files are supported.

Pipeline
- A more fancy upload shizzle... allow drag 'n drop to the browser window and have a progress bar
- Support more synths. Please provide me feedback, since I'm unable to test on other synths.
- Editing of setlist slot names and descriptions
- Optimize the UI while maintaining the Kronos OS look 'n feel
- Insert/cut/copy/paste buttons

Credits
Credits go to Michel and his PCG Tools. My web service uses his code behind the scenes to read/write PCG files.

I welcome your feedback, suggestions and post any errors you may find...

Warning
This is the very first version of my application, use caution!

Even though I like all effort, somebody puts in tools for Kronos, I donīt understand the argument of "poor MAC Users"...
Thereīs a lot of Windows Emulators for Mac out on the market - for sure much more, than there are emulators for MAC OS on Windows - so every MAC User can use the Windows Version as well...
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: PCG Tools for web Reply with quote

MRedZac wrote:

Even though I like all effort, somebody puts in tools for Kronos, I donīt understand the argument of "poor MAC Users"...
Thereīs a lot of Windows Emulators for Mac out on the market - for sure much more, than there are emulators for MAC OS on Windows - so every MAC User can use the Windows Version as well...

Don't take this seriously, please Shocked
I said "Poor Mac OS X users", which is by definition a user who's using OS X, not Windows (emulated or not).

I read a few topics on this forum where people were asking for a solution for OS X without having to go to Windows... That's how the idea came to mind.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: PCG Tools for web Reply with quote

mathieumaes wrote:
MRedZac wrote:

I said "Poor Mac OS X users", which is by definition a user who's using OS X, not Windows (emulated or not).

I read a few topics on this forum where people were asking for a solution for OS X without having to go to Windows... That's how the idea came to mind.

I also can confirm that some Mac users do not want to use Windows software. I don't know exactly why but it's just how it is.

I hope in the end PCG Tools for Web will have about the same functionality as PCG Tools. I will keep sending my updates to Mathieu so he can make use of the same functionality (although the UI is completely different), but the structure and parameter handling code can be shared.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MRedZac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: PCG Tools for web Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
mathieumaes wrote:
MRedZac wrote:

I also can confirm that some Mac users do not want to use Windows software. I don't know exactly why but it's just how it is.

I hope in the end PCG Tools for Web will have about the same functionality as PCG Tools. I will keep sending my updates to Mathieu so he can make use of the same functionality (although the UI is completely different), but the structure and parameter handling code can be shared.

Why Mac Users donīt want to use Windows ? - Thatīs an easy one: Because they donīt want to see, that Windows OS is much more flexible than their Mac OS, and that thereīs a lot more apps for Windows than it is for anything else... My personal experience from being a system administrator for more than 10 years now: Mac Users are too proud to work on Windows in general.
Digital Mixers only from Yamaha

http://www.mediacoustics.eu

You smoke electric cigarettes ? - Looking for the best liquid to refill them ? - See this:

http://www.steamshop24.eu
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: PCG Tools for web Reply with quote

MRedZac wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:
mathieumaes wrote:
MRedZac wrote:

Why Mac Users donīt want to use Windows ? - Thatīs an easy one: Because they donīt want to see, that Windows OS is much more flexible than their Mac OS, and that thereīs a lot more apps for Windows than it is for anything else... My personal experience from being a system administrator for more than 10 years now: Mac Users are too proud to work on Windows in general.

Yes I think that could be a reason.

But I don't want to ignore the Mac users at all, it is just I like C# Windows programming a lot. On the other hand, most of my code can be reused (as being done by PCG Tools for Web) so anyone can benefit from it.

Building a real native (non internet) Mac application is a bit more difficult, because not only less applications for Mac are available, but also less development tools for programming. E.g. C# (which is created by Microsoft), can be used on the Mac but this version is always an older version as for Windows.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: PCG Tools for web Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:

Building a real native (non internet) Mac application is a bit more difficult, because not only less applications for Mac are available, but also less development tools for programming. E.g. C# (which is created by Microsoft), can be used on the Mac but this version is always an older version as for Windows.

You could always use a cross-platform framework like JUCE. Then it only takes minimal effort to port the C++ between compilers for the different platforms.
Or Java VM, which is conceptually similar to .NET, except it actually delivers on the 'multi platform' aspect. .NET is designed to be portable but there are no native engines for platforms other than windows.. strangely.

By the way, I work on both Windows and Mac. I have no problems with either, although I've found the mac to perform a lot better in an audio production environment - whilst still used for other everyday activities.
Also the POSIX compliance with a Unix (well, BSD) based operating system is very good for programming and working with a variety of open source tools.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean their are no cross platform development tools, but I like to program in C#, which is originally built for Windows only but later adapted (reverse engineered) for Mac/Linux.

Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me on a Windows 7 Pro 32 bit PC

Thank you.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ksynth wrote:
Works for me on a Windows 7 Pro 32 bit PC

Thank you.

Yes PCG Tools works for Windows computer or with a Windows emulator under Mac, Linux etc.

PCG Tools for Web works for ANY computer.

X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
I didn't mean their are no cross platform development tools, but I like to program in C#, which is originally built for Windows only but later adapted (reverse engineered) for Mac/Linux.

Absolutely agree, but these are the sacrifices we make for using our choice development environment.

I personally like the web service idea and it's a massively expanding arena at the moment. I've been doing a lot of PHP stuff recently.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:

On a mac here, no luck again? It's straight forward, am I doing something wrong?

404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

Absolutely agree, but these are the sacrifices we make for using our choice development environment.

I personally like the web service idea and it's a massively expanding arena at the moment. I've been doing a lot of PHP stuff recently.

Actually I also think the web idea is great. Actually it's better than my platform dependent solution, but I wanted to use a language I'm already somewhat comfortable with.

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

On a mac here, no luck again? It's straight forward, am I doing something wrong?

404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

I think Mathieu Maes can only answer this (I didn't write it). However, you could try to remove your internet browsing history and/or cookies because it worked at my place without a problem and it should not be platform dependent. Maybe the type of version of browser could make a difference.

Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michel, I have already removed cookies and history..
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lou,

It could be related to the PCG file you're using. I've sent you a PM...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: