Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PCG Tools for web
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingtj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: PCG Tools for web Reply with quote

Why are you trying to turn this into another PC vs. Mac flame-fest?

I'm a system administrator too (been doing it now for 20 years), and I still take care of primarily Windows PCs all day at the job. Guess what I use at home? All Macs! Why? Because for starters, I really don't want to look at the exact same OS and apps at home that I just got back from work using. I'd get burnt out on computers completely.

But additionally, when you're in OS X on a Mac, it's a band-aid fix, not a solution, to say, "Just run a Windows program from inside Parallels or VMWare Fusion, or ??" You can do that, obviously, but then you're stuck waiting for the virtual machine to start up first - just to use the program. And you're stuck maintaining the Windows image too -- complete with anti-virus software updates, Windows patches, etc. etc.

Mac users usually spent a premium price to purposely use that platform INSTEAD of Windows, so yes - they WANT native OS X applications whenever possible. You can call that arrogance if you like, but I'd call it common sense.

MRedZac wrote:

Why Mac Users donīt want to use Windows ? - Thatīs an easy one: Because they donīt want to see, that Windows OS is much more flexible than their Mac OS, and that thereīs a lot more apps for Windows than it is for anything else... My personal experience from being a system administrator for more than 10 years now: Mac Users are too proud to work on Windows in general.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 and Thank you! Couldn't have said it better.
MRedZac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: PCG Tools for web Reply with quote

kingtj wrote:

I'm a system administrator too (been doing it now for 20 years), and I still take care of primarily Windows PCs all day at the job. Guess what I use at home? All Macs! Why? Because for starters, I really don't want to look at the exact same OS and apps at home that I just got back from work using. I'd get burnt out on computers completely.

But additionally, when you're in OS X on a Mac, it's a band-aid fix, not a solution, to say, "Just run a Windows program from inside Parallels or VMWare Fusion, or ??" You can do that, obviously, but then you're stuck waiting for the virtual machine to start up first - just to use the program. And you're stuck maintaining the Windows image too -- complete with anti-virus software updates, Windows patches, etc. etc.

Mac users usually spent a premium price to purposely use that platform INSTEAD of Windows, so yes - they WANT native OS X applications whenever possible. You can call that arrogance if you like, but I'd call it common sense.

MRedZac wrote:

Why Mac Users donīt want to use Windows ? - Thatīs an easy one: Because they donīt want to see, that Windows OS is much more flexible than their Mac OS, and that thereīs a lot more apps for Windows than it is for anything else... My personal experience from being a system administrator for more than 10 years now: Mac Users are too proud to work on Windows in general.

I think, itīs just a matter of believing....
Digital Mixers only from Yamaha

http://www.mediacoustics.eu

You smoke electric cigarettes ? - Looking for the best liquid to refill them ? - See this:

http://www.steamshop24.eu
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: PCG Tools for web Reply with quote

MRedZac wrote:
kingtj wrote:

MRedZac wrote:

I think, itīs just a matter of believing....

Believing and what someone is used to use.

However, I think lots of people are (or should be) thankful that Mathieu makes a platform independent version so everybody is happy.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were an OS X user, I personally wouldn't want to use an emulator to run Windows applications. It's a matter of principles.

My remark towards OS X users was meant as a small joke. The neverending flamewar between Apple/Microsoft users is always a hot topic, not just on forums.

I found it to be ironic that making the current version of my web application was ridiculously easy thanks to the way the Microsoft .NET framework works. I still have a lot of work to fully port all functionalities to the web version, but the work is mainly HTML, CSS and Javascript code. I only had to write about 20 lines of meaningful C# code in the backend.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathieumaes wrote:
If I were an OS X user, I personally wouldn't want to use an emulator to run Windows applications. It's a matter of principles.

My remark towards OS X users was meant as a small joke. The neverending flamewar between Apple/Microsoft users is always a hot topic, not just on forums.

I found it to be ironic that making the current version of my web application was ridiculously easy thanks to the way the Microsoft .NET framework works. I still have a lot of work to fully port all functionalities to the web version, but the work is mainly HTML, CSS and Javascript code. I only had to write about 20 lines of meaningful C# code in the backend.

I will try to keep the backend separately, however, I did not use a complete VMC design pattern, so some functionality might be a bit difficult to extract.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some changes to the configuration of my server. Apparently, the server didn't like files larger then 30 Mb...

Thx Lou for reporting this!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathieumaes wrote:
I made some changes to the configuration of my server. Apparently, the server didn't like files larger then 30 Mb...

Thx Lou for reporting this!

The biggest file I encountered so far is a Kronos 1.5 complete PCG file which is about 42 MB. The previous (OS1.0.x) was 33 or 34 if I remember right.

mathieumaes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the info, Michel!

Next version of the web based tool will have a slightly different UI. I need to prepare it for more functionalities (ie. editing descriptions and names).

I should have this ready by the end of the week!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathieumaes wrote:
Thx for the info, Michel!

Next version of the web based tool will have a slightly different UI. I need to prepare it for more functionalities (ie. editing descriptions and names).

I should have this ready by the end of the week!

Great to hear ... you found the Name field for changing set list names?

Also in my code, you can find which characters are legal. Also you can use newlines in descriptions which is not possible on the Kronos itself but can be very handy. Also take a look at ONKSOR, whose developer you can give more info about fonts used and WYSIWIG output (I have not implemented that by the way).

mathieumaes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have published a small update with some UI improvements:
- Upload progress bar, less clicks required for the upload to take place
- Added setlist names to the list (Michel, I found it! Wink)
- Added "panes" for easier navigation. The "download" button has moved to the bottom left

Next update will be about changing names and descriptions! Stay tuned! And ofcourse, don't hesitate to contact me if you run into trouble...
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathieumaes wrote:
I have published a small update with some UI improvements:
- Upload progress bar, less clicks required for the upload to take place
- Added setlist names to the list (Michel, I found it! Wink)
- Added "panes" for easier navigation. The "download" button has moved to the bottom left

Next update will be about changing names and descriptions! Stay tuned! And ofcourse, don't hesitate to contact me if you run into trouble...

Great to hear about the new functionality.

Inside note: Probably I'm going to rearrange my code a little to support SNG files but I will give later a description what is changed (probably not that much for you).

If you need additional parameters to be changed, please contact me so I can add them (if it's not that much work) so we can both benefit from it.

mathieumaes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all!

I released a new version of my web tools at http://pcg.webberig.be

New features:
- Click on a setlist name to change it
- Added a demo file, so you can try the application without having to wait for the upload

Next changes in the pipeline (deadline = end of next week):
- Change names and descriptions of setlist items
- Allow .ZIP file uploads (faster uploads)!
polop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, thanks michelkeijzers Wink
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathieumaes wrote:
Hey all!

I released a new version of my web tools at http://pcg.webberig.be

New features:
- Click on a setlist name to change it
- Added a demo file, so you can try the application without having to wait for the upload

Next changes in the pipeline (deadline = end of next week):
- Change names and descriptions of setlist items
- Allow .ZIP file uploads (faster uploads)!

Great to see you are also making fast progress!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: