Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First synth that really is noticed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: First synth that really is noticed Reply with quote

I have during the past had several Korg synths: X5, N264, Triton Extreme, M50 and now Kronos.

When I bought the Extreme, everybody said: wow nice screen and sounds are nice, but most could not hear really the difference.

When I bought the M50 a band member said: oh, those strings are really nice. Not many remarks about the rest.

Now I have the Kronos, I get almost weekly remarks that the organ sounds good, that several synth sounds I use are good, that they like the tape string sounds, or the leads or special effects.
Conclusion: This synth is noticed by band members too ...

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bigrobuk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is good going, as most band members are a little more interested in themselves,

it's good to know it stands out, mine should be at home ready for me when I get out of work.

any tips or anything I should know being a Kronos Noob?

http://www.youtube.com/wrbigrob
http://twitter.com/BIGR0Buk
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigrobuk wrote:
that is good going, as most band members are a little more interested in themselves,

it's good to know it stands out, mine should be at home ready for me when I get out of work.

Hello Big Rob,

Well I think every musician is the same, of course I try to listen when others have new instruments, but in some cases I also don't hear much difference.

On the other hand it doesn't matter that much, if you like your new synth better it will be a joy playing it.

Well things you should know ... it depends if you had earlier Korgs, the basic menu structure is more or less equal than 10 years ago, except more from everything (more samples, more locations, more programs, more combis, more synth engines, more features).

If you are new to Korg, start with reading some (start) manuals, see korg.com for downloads.

Enjoy your new Kronos!

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bigrobuk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
bigrobuk wrote:

Hello Big Rob,

Well I think every musician is the same, of course I try to listen when others have new instruments, but in some cases I also don't hear much difference.

On the other hand it doesn't matter that much, if you like your new synth better it will be a joy playing it.

Well things you should know ... it depends if you had earlier Korgs, the basic menu structure is more or less equal than 10 years ago, except more from everything (more samples, more locations, more programs, more combis, more synth engines, more features).

If you are new to Korg, start with reading some (start) manuals, see korg.com for downloads.

Enjoy your new Kronos!

Thanks Chap

http://www.youtube.com/wrbigrob
http://twitter.com/BIGR0Buk
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have written an audio book using the Triton Studio and now I am following it up with a second story, using the Kronos.
Although I am happy with the quality of the first. The Kronos is several notches a better sounding keyboard. It's not all about the piano sounds , which are amazing in my opinion. There is a 'quality' to the sound. Fatter more authentic in general.

Now I know theres a 'favourites' option. My workflow has sped up.

Cheers Lester

ps. I do agree about the tape strings. Love 'em
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
I have written an audio book using the Triton Studio and now I am following it up with a second story, using the Kronos.
Although I am happy with the quality of the first. The Kronos is several notches a better sounding keyboard. It's not all about the piano sounds , which are amazing in my opinion. There is a 'quality' to the sound. Fatter more authentic in general.

Now I know theres a 'favourites' option. My workflow has sped up.

Cheers Lester

ps. I do agree about the tape strings. Love 'em

Btw, with PCG Tools you can select multiple programs/combis at a time and mark/unmark it is a favorite. And you can easily generate a list consisting of only favorite programs/combis.

jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm the experience: many Kronos-Sounds definitely make a difference, and it is remarkable that it is not just noticed by the player, but by others as well! Same here!
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
I have written an audio book using the Triton Studio

Is it available for the synth community?
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same remarks from my band... I must add, the improvement is pretty obvious in my case Smile
I've been using a Yamaha S90 for exactly 10 years. I also used a Fantom XR rack and a Hammond XM-1 organ module.

The band noticed the organ sounds. They also liked the tape strings (using those in the Pepper's "Snow hey oh" song. But most of all, the best improvement for me is in the region of synth strings and pads. There are much more sounds (+ 3 analog synth engines, my previous setup had 0).
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Seems easy to hear the difference Reply with quote

My current gig is a trio: sequenced everything but drums, electronic drummer/male vocalist and female vocalist. I have converted 10 sequences that we use regularly. They know I have a new keyboard but did not know what songs I converted from Triton to Kronos. However they now can tell by the difference in how the sequences sound and more so by the acoustic piano, electric piano, organ and solo live parts that I play. I don't recall the same thing when I converted from Trinity to Triton 10 years ago.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play in 2 bands and a duo and so far all I hear is great things. All my musician friends are totally blown away by the sounds and sound quality. I'm getting asked to join other bands more now than usual.
I've been playing for a long time and have a vast repertoire. It's not uncommon for me to get asked to join several bands a year. I imagine this is common to keyboard players and especially ones with a Kronos.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
I play in 2 bands and a duo and so far all I hear is great things. All my musician friends are totally blown away by the sounds and sound quality. I'm getting asked to join other bands more now than usual.
I've been playing for a long time and have a vast repertoire. It's not uncommon for me to get asked to join several bands a year. I imagine this is common to keyboard players and especially ones with a Kronos.

I play about 20 years in the same band (sometimes had a 2nd band meanwhile), but it's great to hear that you are asked more by other bands by having a Kronos ...

ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to echo the comments - I was running an Apple Mainstage set up with Kurzweil K2000 and XP30 prior to Kronos......

The band were astounded when they heard this Korg (for the right reasons!! Laughing )
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to a jam at a local bar in about an hour and I'm bringing the Kronos. It's gonna blow people away! I'll let you know how it goes.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
I have written an audio book using the Triton Studio

Is it available for the synth community?

It's at a few publishers at the moment although I've been told to get a literary agent as the feedback has been promising, so I'm not able to share it at the moment. I've got to finish the 3rd one before the end of the year then it's complete .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: